• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Went in once and have not been back. I found the prices to be too high for the range fees the difference between the rifle and pistol range time rates were extreme. The selection and the pushing me into a 380 pocket pistol as what I should buy was arrogant to say the least . Being that close to the MD line they have a built-in clientele and for now that works for them. All in all they have nice facilities but I am not into the whole snooty guntry club aspect they were trying to achieve.

I'm very surprised to hear you say that about Freedom. Living near the PA line and being an on and off member I have been in their 100's of times and I have never experienced that. If anything I find Freedom Armmory to be one a the very few ranges that I would consider as a very family friendly place without all of the snootyness I always see at 99% of the gun shops/ranges I have gone. I find them very friendly. I am a firm believer there is always two sides to every story. Do you think their advice had anything to do with what you may have been talking to them about?

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Went in once and have not been back. I found the prices to be too high for the range fees the difference between the rifle and pistol range time rates were extreme. The selection and the pushing me into a 380 pocket pistol as what I should buy was arrogant to say the least . Being that close to the MD line they have a built-in clientele and for now that works for them. All in all they have nice facilities but I am not into the whole snooty guntry club aspect they were trying to achieve.

I'm very surprised. I've been in there several times and never had an experience like yours. Businesses need to realize that forums like this exist and if you piss off one customer you may lose 20+ potential customers. No excuse for poor customer service.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm very surprised. I've been in there several times and never had an experience like yours. Businesses need to realize that forums like this exist and if you piss off one customer you may lose 20+ potential customers. No excuse for poor customer service.

Well you know how it is. People are people. I'm a nice guy 99.9% of the time but ever now and then I'm not at my best. None of us are perfect. Years ago I was a member of On-Target before they moved to where they are now. The only guy I enjoyed talking to was one of the owners that worked the counter. The hired counter help there were the worst and customer service was not high on their list. However acting like experts that new everything was.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Ive shot at FA a bunch of times. Nice facility, nice place, good people from my experiences. I did encounter one younger guy a few years ago who had a bit of a know-it-all attitude about NFA and he was less than correct on some things, he didnt seem to last long. bought a few C&R guns from them, zero issues and they are pretty familiar with MD laws.
    YMMV

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ive shot at FA a bunch of times. Nice facility, nice place, good people from my experiences. I did encounter one younger guy a few years ago who had a bit of a know-it-all attitude about NFA and he was less than correct on some things, he didnt seem to last long. bought a few C&R guns from them, zero issues and they are pretty familiar with MD laws.
    YMMV

I bought a Sig Blackwater at FA a few years ago because I was able to save close to $300. I'm the type of gun owner that is a firm believe in comparison shopping. Believe me when I say I shoped this gun at every gun shop within 60 miles from my house and FA had the best price.

Now I would never say they are always the lowest price. But none of the gun shops that ever have very the lowest price, always have the lowest price. I say it that way because if your also a comparison shoper you know about the handful of gun shops that always have the highest of prices and never have the lowest price.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I'm a member and can say buying the membership to shoot there only makes sense if you plan on going back fairly frequently and not rent anything.

For a new shooter that just wants to try shooting for the first time, I can see how it may be overpriced. Buying a membership for 1 trip, having to pay gun rental and for eyes/ears/targets/ammo+ range time, maybe never return for a full year.

The prices on ammo, guns, and pretty much all accessories is insanely high. The prices on lowers I saw were literally 3 & 4 times higher than what anyone should be paying.

For a shooter that already has all the gear needed, to not have to rent, it's an excellent facility and worth the minimal membership fee.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm a member and can say buying the membership to shoot there only makes sense if you plan on going back fairly frequently and not rent anything.

For a new shooter that just wants to try shooting for the first time, I can see how it may be overpriced. Buying a membership for 1 trip, having to pay gun rental and for eyes/ears/targets/ammo+ range time, maybe never return for a full year.

The prices on ammo, guns, and pretty much all accessories is insanely high. The prices on lowers I saw were literally 3 & 4 times higher than what anyone should be paying.

For a shooter that already has all the gear needed, to not have to rent, it's an excellent facility and worth the minimal membership fee.

Agreed. However if you go back ,say through the winter and if you do the by the hour math, it pays for itself rather fast. In the past when I joined I did not get the best/most expensive membership. But I got the step down for a family of three. I think it was around $475. With this membership we did not have to pay any by the hour fees. Every time we went we were shooting 1 to 1.5 hrs. The $475 break even point was easy to get to.

I never paid for the best membership because that just adds in the rifel range that is in the basement. MY biggest beef is if your a member one would think FA, or any other range would offer some kind of discount if you were to renew before the existing membership ran out. But they don't and I think they are just harming themselves. At this time, or at any time I let my membership run out without renewing it's because I get in and out of the mood to be a member. However if their was some kind of incentive like a 10% discount if you never let it run out, I would most likely take advantage of it and remain a member.

For example, If they did give a 10% discount I would save $47.50 if/when I did renew before my $475 membership ran out. But because there is no savings advantage I let my membership run out and I have not been a member for the last 2 years, keeping $950 in my pocket instead of the ranges pocket.

At the same time anytime my membership was active I spent more time at the range increasing the likelihood that I may spend even more money on ammo, guns, or whatever. I can't figure them out. I think it's crazy.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I haven't been to the range at Freedom Armory in a few years but I always had a good experience shooting there. I only went a few times a year when I was in town so the membership didn't pay for itself and I decided to stop renewing it.

The last few times I've been to the store I left disappointed. Their guns and ammunition seemed very over priced and the employees weren't very interested in helping us. They weren't unfriendly but they seemed more interested in the computer or the back room than talking to us. The first time my dad and I went there several years ago was a great experience. The older gentlemen behind the counter was very helpful and was actively interested in discussing different firearms with us. Since that time it has been hit or miss with the staff.

I've decided lately I'd rather deal with Brad at Brownstone Trading or the guys at Duffy's. They're easier to talk to and have always treated me well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom