• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    as the subject says, thinking about either PA or WV for retirement. Trying to escape MD. Need to stay within reasonable driving distance of Frederick (grandson). I understand retirement income is not taxed in PA. But I think they have other taxes (school, etc). Any thoughts?

I am posting similar in WV subforum.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Are you moving to escape gun laws, or for some other reason?

Philly and its suburbs are beginning to reach critical population mass when it comes to swaying state policy. How long can PA remain a hold-out for 2A on the northeastern seaboard? I'd pick wild wonderful WV, personally.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Are you moving to escape gun laws, or for some other reason?

Philly and its suburbs are beginning to reach critical population mass when it comes to swaying state policy. How long can PA remain a hold-out for 2A on the northeastern seaboard? I'd pick wild wonderful WV, personally.

there are a lot of reasons, 2a friendly is one of them, along with cost of living, good motorcycle roads, convenience to family/friends, availability of health care, etc.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    FWIW, my in-laws retired to PA due to the lack of taxes on their retirement income, but soon found it to be a wash at best, and more burdensome at worse when it came to all the other taxes. If/when I get promoted to a regional position, I'm moving to the eastern panhandle of WV. You get way more for your money over there, still have proximity to the good stuff to be had in DC/Baltimore (sports, restaurants, etc) and the taxes are reasonable while being extremely 2A friendly.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    FWIW, my in-laws retired to PA due to the lack of taxes on their retirement income, but soon found it to be a wash at best, and more burdensome at worse when it came to all the other taxes. If/when I get promoted to a regional position, I'm moving to the eastern panhandle of WV. You get way more for your money over there, still have proximity to the good stuff to be had in DC/Baltimore (sports, restaurants, etc) and the taxes are reasonable while being extremely 2A friendly.

I am leaning heavily toward eastern panhandle of wv also. friend who lives in PA texted me this morning, and said to move to WV...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I am leaning heavily toward eastern panhandle of wv also. friend who lives in PA texted me this morning, and said to move to WV...

Good thing is, if you're used to suburban living and want that, it's there. If you're used to rural living and want that, it's there. Want to go into DC for the day to catch a museum? Take the MARC from Martinsburg. Want to go get lost in the woods for a weekend? It's right out your back door. Just get far enough out that you aren't caught up in the expansion. It's getting more and more popular to live there and work in DC or the outskirts these days. Similar to what's going on around Frederick if you're too close to Martinsburg.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We'll be full time in WV come spring. Many reasons influenced our decision (I was born and raised there weighed heavily on our decision), Second Amendment freedoms, the mountains and streams and what you get for your money. For the East coast it was a no brainer.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    What do you guys think about moving to LSD aka Lower Shores of Del? Their is no state tax and property tax is low as well. Their are a lot of 55 plus retirement communities springing up in Sussex County as well.

I'm curious about Delaware, too. How do they treat 2A, including suppressors?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What do you guys think about moving to LSD aka Lower Shores of Del? Their is no state tax and property tax is low as well. Their are a lot of 55 plus retirement communities springing up in Sussex County as well.

LSD is Lower Slower Delaware and it is a good state for retirees.

No Taxes on retirement income and No Sales Tax so that's a 6% raise you got working for you.

You just have to find the balance/border line between the beach resort areas which are expensive and the rest of LSD which is a somewhat depressed economy with high a UE just like the Maryland and VA parts of the shore.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Your right, PA does not tax your retirement income OR SS but taxes, especially school taxes, can drain you. WV DOES tax your SS. All depends on location, location, location. Good luck.

thanks. that is pretty much what my buddy who is my age and lives in PA said also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom