• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think ANY non-resident needs a permit from their home state if they want a PA LTCF, not just MD.

Utah is the same way, they just make an exception for MD because they realize most MD residents can't get one.
    Correct. Not sure how they handle Vermont though since no permit is available.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think ANY non-resident needs a permit from their home state if they want a PA LTCF, not just MD.

Utah is the same way, they just make an exception for MD because they realize most MD residents can't get one.

Think of it this way: If it's easy to get a NR permit, PA won't honor it.....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

The main reason UT issues permits to us is MD does not recognize UT. The difficulty of getting a MD permit isn't the main reason AFAIK.

The UT requirement states IF the other state recognizes UT, then a home permit is required. So it's the lack of recognition that's the main factor.

From UT BCI web site:
    • Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFnewapp.html

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    . . . As soon as he referred to Md as a ridiculous Nazi state I knew I was in the right place. . . .
    Yep, no doubt about it. Ever, really. MD is the laughing stock of the entire nation now, right up there with CA. And the libtards are creamin their jeans as they wring their hands in delight over it. Until the faucet runs dry and the riots start, of course.

Havin' voted already, goin' back to praying over the election results needed for the long term sake of society, now . . .

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Correct. Not sure how they handle Vermont though since no permit is available.

Here's the relevant section of PA law
    A license shall not be issued to
    any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not
    possess a current license or permit or similar document
    to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is
    provided for by the laws of that state, as published
    annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the
    Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to
    definitions).

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    A vote for York County here. Took all of about 4 days to get the call and in and out on a Friday in about 15 mins.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    A vote for York County here. Took all of about 4 days to get the call and in and out on a Friday in about 15 mins.

Where did you go in York to get the ball rolling? Not sure but I THINK I read one needs their DL 40 days to get a Pa resident......... true, false or dunno? Who might I call in York?

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    There are a couple days a week you can just walk in. Fill out the paperwork right there and they will hand you a permit. Call them Bart. The troopers were so easy to deal with in the permit office at the court house it blew my mind. MY brother who still lives in Md went with me when I picked up my permit and he was in shock how easy everything was.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Where did you go in York to get the ball rolling? Not sure but I THINK I read one needs their DL 40 days to get a Pa resident......... true, false or dunno? Who might I call in York?

My wife got her temporary PA DL this past Friday. Mailed her application into the York County Sheriff that same day. Just got the call this morning to come pick her LTCF up. If that helps. We used application in the link/s provided above.
    You're good to go.

Last edited:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014

They make an exception for any state that doesn't recognize theirs. Not just Maryland. Here's the applicable reference material.

"Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. "

Taken from:
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFnewapp.html

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So you have to be lucky enough to have a MD CCW to get a PA non-resident?

That is inaccurate. One must maintain a primary residence in PA. As previously stated, owning property in PA is not enough.

Nothing says that you cannot maintain a primary residence in each state.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do they actually check references for PA resident LTCF, and do they have to be people who live in PA?

I moved up here about a year ago and I don't know anyone around here well enough to ask them to vouch for me on something like that.

Talk with any of your neighbors, if they are willing.

I talked with mine, and we used each other as references, since they were thinking about getting a LTCF also.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    My neighbors have had problems in the past with understanding respect for other people's property and/or privacy...so we're not exactly on speaking terms. :sad20:

That sucks.

If your county uses the new system (What my sheriff called it a couple of years ago). Then the references are not contacted.

You will do the thumb-print, picture, PICS, and have your card walking out of the sheriff's office..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom