• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    But just saw the episode where the show's Mafia leader claims that Governor Corbett was "against him" and in retaliation he gets his 50K Amish followers to vote Wolf and then celebrates Wolf's victory. Did the Amish vote, and which candidate did the Amish support? I hope they really backed Corbett, if they came out and voted at all.

But "reality" TV definitely sunk to new lows. :sad20:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    But just saw the episode where the show's Mafia leader claims that Governor Corbett was "against him" and in retaliation he gets his 50K Amish followers to vote Wolf and then celebrates Wolf's victory. Did the Amish vote, and which candidate did the Amish support? I hope they really backed Corbett, if they came out and voted at all.

But "reality" TV definitely sunk to new lows. :sad20:

Traditionally the amish vote very little in anything beyond county elections.

The 'mafia leader' is a small time crook with very little reach beyond his immediate posse.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Saw that show once and it has to be one of the worst, far fetched things on TV. Can't believe it is still on. People will watch anything except if it has the potential to educate them enough to vote.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    746868307.jpg

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I only watch it for one reason. To hear the Pennsylvania Dutch. My grandfather was meninite from Lancaster. He used to speak it all the time. He died in 2000. I miss hearing it. I heard it my whole life and all I can remember how to say is "what are you doing dumb ass?" and " get to work!" lol.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The show is a running joke around here, most of the characters are paid actors you see in a lot of skits or shows, basically the go-to people when someone wants "amish" minor actors or extras, plenty of locations get rented for filming this show and others. Ran into "big Steve", Jolin and a few of the camera crew at the Red Robin in Lancaster, not sure about Steve's buggy, but he has an awesome motorcycle:D Was at the York fair when they were filming an episode there, place was a zoo, complete with cast trailers, props and buggies trucked in, and people looking for extras to be on camera. A buddy had Levi and his company put a deck on his house, "dayjob" business is real, apparently a nice guy that grew up in the community, but didn't join the church after rumspringa. As far as voting, supposedly few do, and pretty much religious republicans only.

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It is my understanding that there is a community internal nonjudicial enforcement system in place, but that the last thing those men would do, is to show their faces on TV.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I only watch it for one reason. To hear the Pennsylvania Dutch. My grandfather was meninite from Lancaster. He used to speak it all the time. He died in 2000. I miss hearing it. I heard it my whole life and all I can remember how to say is "what are you doing dumb ass?" and " get to work!" lol.

My dad was born in York, PA. Not Pennsylvania dutch, but I am familiar.

When we bought our house here in Maryland I had the greatest laugh because the light switch in the basement says "Outten the lights." I would not have known what that meant if it wasn't for my dad.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    The "Amish" that are on the show in the various "crews" have been proven to NOT be in the church. As was said before they never joined the church so Amish rules and law has no effect on them. That is one reason they are able to do what they do and the Amish in reality can't do anything internally about it. They don't really belong to the church. Hard to be shunned when you were never a member to be shunned anyway.

All of the Amish that my wife and I have gotten to know and actually become friends with are wonderful people. I can't speak for them all but have seen enough out of the public eye to know that the show is 90% fake. There are some truth's there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Those guys have to be THE worst 'reality show' actors I've ever seen. And I do mean actors.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

When we bought our house here in Maryland I had the greatest laugh because the light switch in the basement says "Outten the lights." I would not have known what that meant if it wasn't for my dad.

Ja, I'm going to bust a cap in u ass, English. - Amish Mafia

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county

Ya I have a sign next to my front door that says welcome to our home in pennysilvania Dutch. I have atleast one person a week ask me what it says.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

PA Dutch is a misnomer as they are not descended from Dutch immigrants but Germans. Deutsch became Dutch in the local vernacular.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I have been to parties where there were amish teens on rumspringa. They all were very capable of putting most people under the table. It was like a dog that had been in a cage for years. They were so restricted and contained once they were let to experience things they wanted to experience everything. Most don't go back to the farm at this point.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have been to parties where there were amish teens on rumspringa. They all were very capable of putting most people under the table. It was like a dog that had been in a cage for years. They were so restricted and contained once they were let to experience things they wanted to experience everything. Most don't go back to the farm at this point.

I guess its kinda like first year away at college. The most ...er... frisky girls were the preachers' daughters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom