• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 21, 2016
    Reason One:
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned!

Reason Two:
    3 mins in the DMV and your out the door with a fresh hot off the press and still warm new drivers licenses. ...what? didn't like the photo, ok we'll take another one for you :thumbsup:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    No cons I can think of yet. None if the cons mentioned prior bother me any. I have never been happier with my living situation.

For those that think your "saving" on property tax staying in MD, your paying elsewhere, you pay with your freedom staying there. The taxes in PA don't require law abiding citizens to forfeit their 2A rights.

The best pro so far living here is not having my LTCF, it's the fact my daughter is doing well in school again and isn't being bullied anymore. She is very happy we moved.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No cons I can think of yet. None if the cons mentioned prior bother me any. I have never been happier with my living situation.

For those that think your "saving" on property tax staying in MD, your paying elsewhere, you pay with your freedom staying there. The taxes in PA don't require law abiding citizens to forfeit their 2A rights.

The best pro so far living here is not having my LTCF, it's the fact my daughter is doing well in school again and isn't being bullied anymore. She is very happy we moved.

That is until your school district decides to build 2 schools in back to back years. Who lives in the D-town school district? I'd like to know what their school taxes are for the area.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    That is until your school district decides to build 2 schools in back to back years. Who lives in the D-town school district? I'd like to know what their school taxes are for the area.

Bad from my what I hear at work. Good school quality though compared to York.

reptileguy99

Apr 6, 2013
    Reason One:
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned!

Reason Two:
    3 mins in the DMV and your out the door with a fresh hot off the press and still warm new drivers licenses. ...what? didn't like the photo, ok we'll take another one for you :thumbsup:

That drove me nuts had a girl take like 5 pictures

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Con...being referred to as a 'Pennsituckeyan'. Eventually you'll see merge signs as stop signs.:sad20:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Well so far:
    Car insurance on 2 cars went down $400 Thats a plus
    Motorcycle insurance on 5 went up $625 (Helmet laws DONT suck, they keep your insurance lower) thats a negative

DMV packed with foreigners and a 2 hr wait just like Bel Air... thats a wash

2A rights restored and an amazing Girlfriend.. WINNER!!!!

Jul 15, 2012
    Joppa, MD
    My girl and I are also considering moving up there. Somewhere close to the state line w/ decent schools. I'm active duty but looking at retirement in the next few years. Don't want MD getting a portion of my retirement in taxes and the thought of living in such a pro-2a area sounds pretty great. I grew up in rural Indiana and much of southern PA looks very similar. For me, aside from the 60 mile commute.... it seems like a no-brainer. Any recommendations on a good location? Preferably somewhere that DOESN'T need new school buildings!! :lol2:

Thanks guys!

-BHP

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    We live 5 miles away from PA and I have a lot of friends and family there. From what they tell me the pros are obviously much better gun laws than MD!

Cons are yearly car inspections and crazy fees for DMV

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    We live 5 miles away from PA and I have a lot of friends and family there. From what they tell me the pros are obviously much better gun laws than MD!

Cons are yearly car inspections and crazy fees for DMV

What crazy fees? Registration is like 28 bucks a year for a car. Inspection is 60 bucks or so. Titling a car is cheaper than Md as well and a hell of a lot faster and easier. You don't go to a dmv. Its all little tag and title desks in other businesses like the general store or an auto shop or wherever.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I refuse to look at taxes and fees as the primary consideration for moving to PA or DE for that matter. It's like asking "what's the CHEAPEST _______?" Im looking at many variables to moving out of Maryland, the first of which is it's OUT of Maryland. I'm willing to pay something for that.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    What crazy fees? Registration is like 28 bucks a year for a car. Inspection is 60 bucks or so. Titling a car is cheaper than Md as well and a hell of a lot faster and easier. You don't go to a dmv. Its all little tag and title desks in other businesses like the general store or an auto shop or wherever.

Pennsylvania has lower fees for titling and registration, but that advantage is lost with yearly inspections. I have 5 cars and 6 motorcycles at $60 a vehicle per year I'm over just the registration fee difference. Also if they are assholes and want to find something that's not there for some added business, been there done that, there is more money. Also remember Pa is for 1 year while Md is for 2. I can't tell you the last time I went to an MVA, I use Direct Express and they seem to know more than the people who work at MVA. I grew up in PA and we usually used Runkles in Red Lion, but they also charge a small fee. If I remember correctly PAs traffic citations are higher also. Love the Commonwealth!

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Seems to me that in PA the taxes and fees tend to be lower, but more numerous and paid more often. Overall though, I'd say it evens out. Using car registration/inspections as an example:

In PA it's $36 for yearly registration. My garage charges $45 for inspections.

In MD it's $135 every 2 years for registration and $14 for emissions.

PA for 2 years = $162
    MD for 2 years = $149

PA ends up costing $6.50 more per year. However my car insurance dropped by 40% when I moved from MD to PA, so I'm actually better off. Just one example.

Edit: Yes, that's per car, so if you have 10 cars your situation is going to be different.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Trust me I wish I could still live in PA, but wife works in DC. I would learn to get back into the swing of things up there and BIL owns a Chevy dealership and some used car lots were I could get my inspections done. I could also use to get rid of a few bikes. Plus I have friends up there I can trust when I need any kind of work done and my paychecks would be bigger and I could get a nicer house for less money and I could get cooler guns and I etc etc.

RNally

Jun 25, 2014
    We are moving to PA in July. Looked at houses in both PA and Maryland. The house we ended up buying was over $70k less then almost identicalike houses in Maryland, and the taxes compared to a house we almost bought in MD is only $150 more per month. Can't wait to move out of this joke of a state, get my concealed carry as soon as I switch my license over, and walk out of the gun shop with a pistol the same day I purchase it...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I grew up in PA outside of Erie and I still practice law in PA (as well as MD).

PA is very gun friendly, and the income tax rate is lower, but that's about it for tax friendliness (unless you are retried and drawing on retirement benefits).

If you do the math, and factor in extra fuel for the extra distance, you'll be financially ahead living in this communist paradise of Maryland. One thing I like about Maryland is how the property taxes are predictable. In PA if your school district needs a new building, guess what happens to your school taxes the next year?

I'll retire in PA without a doubt (probably move back to the family farm), but I'm not moving there while I'm still working.

I'm retired, and that's my plan as well....I've always thought about that little area near the bulb of Delaware. Live in PA, shop in Delaware, close enough to visit family in Baltimore

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom