PA gun shops not selling mags to MD residents...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I was buying a couple 30 rounders in the Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury last weekend. When I mentioned being from MD the nice gentleman behind the counter said "oh, I think I've got some 40 rounders back here, and check out this 60 round drum!":thumbsup:

Took the 40, but have been thinking about the drum. It's a Magpul. Does anyone have any experience with the reliability??

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    They don't want to be the target of a civil suit brought by a NY attorney general. Chances are they would win, but not until they have spent lots of money defending themselves in a NY court. The most tenuous connection to the state and the courts will claim jurisdiction.

Understood.. of course if the state of PA politely explained to the state of ny...that such litigation would invite a federal lawsuit under Rico against such an AG under the theory of extortion....maybe it would stop..

But frankly PA is complict in the shake down...they don't want ny undesirables hanging around...treat such shops as no go zones..

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    I picked up some pmags at gander mountain in York yesterday, no problems, except the price... No ID check or anything.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I picked up some pmags at gander mountain in York yesterday, no problems, except the price... No ID check or anything.

I picked up some at Freedom on Friday. Great, helpful service. Price was too high, but since I can't get them shipped to out of state address I have to eat it. $24.95 for 15 round Mapul Glock 19! Thanks GA.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I picked up some at Freedom on Friday. Great, helpful service. Price was too high, but since I can't get them shipped to out of state address I have to eat it. $24.95 for 15 round Mapul Glock 19! Thanks GA.
    I was thinking the same thing when I picked up a few Sig magazines. I got them at the Chantilly Gun Show and thought everyone was selling them at a pretty high price compared to online prices. Sadly MD law sends all the sales taxes out of state. Uh, democRATS will never get it.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I was thinking the same thing when I picked up a few Sig magazines. I got them at the Chantilly Gun Show and thought everyone was selling them at a pretty high price compared to online prices. Sadly MD law sends all the sales taxes out of state. Uh, democRATS will never get it.

And the economic impact to our IPs with the commensurate loss in sales. I just can't figure out if the democrats are stupid or devious. Maybe we should create a poll. ;)
    I guess the November election is the ultimate poll.

stonet21

Mar 4, 2009
    This happened to me in 2012 at Grice's Gun shop in PA. I bought a 10/22, was trying to purchase a 25 rounder for it along with some 20 round mags for something else. They argued with me that I couldn't buy them because they were over 10 rounds. I replied " Actually, it is 20 rounds within the state of MD, however it is not illegal to purchase them in another state nor is it illegal to own them in MD." I politely asked them to show me in the law where it said I couldn't own/purchase them. They brought out a binder with MD's law that said about no purchase of magazines over 20 rounds IN the state of MD. I said "See, it says 20 rounds WITHIN the state. No where does it state that it is illegal to purchase them elsewhere or own them." They refused to sell me the 25 rounder.

I bought plenty of 30 round magazines there without any issues.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    what a shocker, new York trying to flex its communist agenda on everyone else that still lives free. I wouldn't be upset if new York and new jersey went floating out into the atlantic and California to the pacific.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    on another note, I am actually surprised they didn't come for the possession of standard size magazines in SB281.

I wouldn't be surprised if that comes up this session after these recent tragedies

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    on another note, I am actually surprised they didn't come for the possession of standard size magazines in SB281.

I wouldn't be surprised if that comes up this session after these recent tragedies

I don't think they're ready to start kicking in doors. There's only so many stormtroopers.

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    Local shops in PA

I have shopped at many local owned shops in PA. never had any issues and will continue to do so in support of small business owners/
    thanks

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I was buying a couple 30 rounders in the Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury last weekend. When I mentioned being from MD the nice gentleman behind the counter said "oh, I think I've got some 40 rounders back here, and check out this 60 round drum!":thumbsup:

Took the 40, but have been thinking about the drum. It's a Magpul. Does anyone have any experience with the reliability??

I have several . So far not 1 single issue , They have worked great ;-)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I think some of the legislators (or their staff, who helps inform their decisions) sincerely believe that mag limit laws will help reduce gun homicides but might think they are balancing enthusiast requests* by allowing the out-of-state purchase route. Obviously this was the previous MD template when the mag restriction was 20 rds before SB-281, and they might have perceived that this reduced the overall levels of larger capacity mags in state (and I wouldn't be surprised if it did). They took this template when reducing to 10 rd capacity, but created additional problems for most anyone shopping for a modern semi automatic handgun. Previously the 20 rd mag limit was of course mostly a nuisance for semi automatic rifle owners.

*As we all know, to balance enthusiast requests, at least from their perception (because one doesn't need to be an enthusiast to want a non neutered firearm), they also allowed HBAR ARs, something far more "reasonable" than CA or NY legislatures.

There will always be the politician who eagerly labels such legislation as having loopholes because they are extremists who don't care about Constitutional protections or the citizens who comprise the firearms community in MD. If we get another O'Malley (aka Frosh) at the helm, and they hold sway over M&M, this might yet happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Easy shop Delaware. Went to buy the standard mags for the wifes new Glock MOS . He asked her how she liked it and I told him it is in purgatory in MD , he took 5 percent off the mags to ease her pain :)

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    But as a Maryland resident you can go to buy fireworks after showing a Maryland ID in Pa. Tell me that isn't a catch 22

IANAL. However, my understanding is fireworks are also illegal in PA. I went to a PA fireworks store once to look around, before entering the store I had to sign a waiver stating that I was not a PA resident, that I would take the fireworks out of state within 24 hours, and discharge them outside the state of PA. Guess the shops each decide which adjoining state laws to abide by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom