• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    So is it worth driving 2 hours on a weekend in the rain for? Or just skip it and hit the big Oaks show?

Rain? Not much of a big deal if your car doesn't leak and the rain doesn't freeze.

Weekend? The show will be crowded. Really crowded. If you're okay with that, then carry on. Buying your ticket in advance online will save some time at the door.

This show is mostly for manufacturers to show off their goodies. Most major firearms companies will be there, and they usually have just about every firearm they offer for sale. The benefit is you get to fondle (read test fit) lots of firearms to see which one(s) feel the best in your hands (that sounds dirty, but you know what I mean).

Same goes for archery, fishing, outfitters, etc. Huge collection of the outdoor sports all together under one very large roof.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    So is it worth driving 2 hours on a weekend in the rain for? Or just skip it and hit the big Oaks show?

Depends what you're interested in. The Harrisburg show is not a gun show. It is an outdoor show with some gun vendors and some gun/shooting accessory vendors present. There were more booths for archery and game calls than there were for guns, for example. A quick look at the website will show you the list of vendors by type; the show's maps are by room and will indicate how many gun related tables there are.

We go to the show mainly to interview hunting guides/outfitters. We do look at all the other stuff like the fancy off road vehicles just for fun.

We go every year but will not go on the weekends. Been there done that once. It's just way too crowded Saturday & Sunday. Although this particular Sunday attendance was reported to be light due to the Super bowl.

Last edited:
    Family is going on Sat. Morning , what are some deals I should not miss . Knives , maybe rifles .

I just got home. There are not any guns for sale.
    As stated previously, this is the world's largest outdoor show; it is not a gun show. Think of a small SHOT show combined with fishing, archery and a TON of outfitters with hunting and fishing guides from around the world.
    The show is larger than Arundel Mills- and I mean the whole place; not Bass Pro.

Thanks for letting us know. I was going to check it out to see what gun companies and products there were to be had...

Most manufacturers are there for a fondle and answer questions festival. You will be dealing with the factory reps. Their guns are not for sale at the show.
    FWIW- I think I need an IWI Jericho now. I really like the way that thing felt. IWI was handing out "try it before you buy it" coupons to go to a local indoor range and get free rental and lane time (ammo not free) which I thought was pretty cool.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was there Wednesday, as squaregrouper said, they are not actually selling any guns, but there is a large offering of manufacturers and related companies that are showing there wares and some deals to be had on some peripherals. The 'shooting sports' section is but one of several sections, including archery, fishing, boats, outfitters, etc.. There is an app for your smartphone that shows all the vendors and layouts, etc... just search for Great American Outdoor Show. ;)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I was there Wednesday, as squaregrouper said, they are not actually selling any guns, but there is a large offering of manufacturers and related companies that are showing there wares and some deals to be had on some peripherals. The 'shooting sports' section is but one of several sections, including archery, fishing, boats, outfitters, etc.. There is an app for your smartphone that shows all the vendors and layouts, etc... just search for Great American Outdoor Show. ;)
    Any of the gun manufacturers (or independent sellers) selling standard cap mags on site for their products? Need SCAR 16 FDE mags, FN FNX-45 FDE mags, Beretta M9A3 FDE mags, Glock 17 FDE mags, & Sig Sauer P320 9mm FDE mags. Yeah, been on an FDE kick lately. Too many black guns, but the FDE colors have proven tough to find matching mags for. I’m willing to brave the crowds today if I can bring back what I need.

Any of the gun manufacturers (or independent sellers) selling standard cap mags on site for their products? Need SCAR 16 FDE mags, FN FNX-45 FDE mags, Beretta M9A3 FDE mags, Glock 17 FDE mags, & Sig Sauer P320 9mm FDE mags. Yeah, been on an FDE kick lately. Too many black guns, but the FDE colors have proven tough to find matching mags for. I’m willing to brave the crowds today if I can bring back what I need.

I didn't see any, but I wasn't looking.
    I think Chantilly or York would be a much better bet.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co

You would have a better chance of finding liberals at that show than those mags.
    As mentioned the York show or the Chantilly/DC which is going on this weekend would be the place for that.

Had a decent time at the show but really was a direct repeat of last year. I really just find interest in the firearms stuff which was a 1/5th of the show. I wanted to venture much more into the fishing section but it wasn’t what I expected.
    I’m not sure I would go next year $14+$10 parking+3hr round trip and terrible food to see the exact same vendors with 98% same products.
    Was zero free stuff this year which was also a bummer.
    Only highlight was getting to chat with TGC (The Gun Collective) Co-Host Adam Kraut for awhile about various topics as he gets ready to run for the board of directors at the NRA. Hopefully if elected along with a few others they can move the NRA in a better direction.

Attachments

• 113E9ADE-DFD3-46F2-B17D-76C525088B7E.jpg
      113E9ADE-DFD3-46F2-B17D-76C525088B7E.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 129
    You would have a better chance of finding liberals at that show than those mags.
    As mentioned the York show or the Chantilly/DC which is going on this weekend would be the place for that.

Had a decent time at the show but really was a direct repeat of last year. I really just find interest in the firearms stuff which was a 1/5th of the show. I wanted to venture much more into the fishing section but it wasn’t what I expected.
    I’m not sure I would go next year $14+$10 parking+3hr round trip and terrible food to see the exact same vendors with 98% same products.
    Was zero free stuff this year which was also a bummer.
    Only highlight was getting to chat with TGC (The Gun Collective) Co-Host Adam Kraut for awhile about various topics as he gets ready to run for the board of directors at the NRA. Hopefully if elected along with a few others they can move the NRA in a better direction.

This event is a must see, but not every year. I haven't been to it in quite a while and won't return for 3 years or so.
    Now if you're looking for a hunting or fishing guide (anywhere in the world) this is THE show to go to.

I went with MDS member CaptainAwesome, who was looking for a moose hunt. We found it interesting that the British and Argentinian guides were explaining that they would supply the firearms because the cost and complexity of bringing your own gun would be more than the trip itself.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We booked our Montana Elk hunt first thing Monday and then began the arduous process of interviewing AK guides.
    We spoke to about 20. Geesh what a lot to sort out.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I wasn't shopping for guides, but my buddy mentioned that all inclusive trips to South Africa actually cost less than the Alaskan trips. I found that very interesting.
    It's true - much to our shock as well. I can get a 7 day hunt for African plains game for about $5K less than an AK hunt for the same duration. If you add in round trip airfare to Johannesburg and it about evens out.

I came away wondering if I really want to hunt in AK all that much.

Maybe I'll look at Maine again.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Food... it's a joke, eat before you go or afterwards. We had one slice of pizza and a bottle of coke - $7!!

I have a buddy that hunts in Argentina and yes, they don't take guns for a couple of reasons, first is the red tape and secondly, you will be shooting thousands of rounds on an average bird hunt there, they give you a nice gun to use, clean it and have it ready to go and a backup or two as well, so when things start heating up, you can just swap em out. He loves hunting there and one day I'd like to join him.

I hadn't been to the show in many years and wish I had spent a little more time in the shooting sports section, but my buddy was looking to book a whitetail hunt, so we spent a lot of time there (and visiting with a couple of outfitter buddies that were setup there too), so I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked. It's really not a gun show, a little of everything and a few decent vendors that have items for sale in each section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom