• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It's true - much to our shock as well. I can get a 7 day hunt for African plains game for about $5K less than an AK hunt for the same duration. If you add in round trip airfare to Johannesburg and it about evens out.

I came away wondering if I really want to hunt in AK all that much.

Maybe I'll look at Maine again.

He was Googling flights and said he can fly to Johannesburg (RT) from Dulles for $1500-$2000 but the travel time is 25-30 hours.
    I don't hunt, but am blown away that hunting exotics in South Africa costs less than an Alaska hunt.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    You would have a better chance of finding liberals at that show than those mags.
    As mentioned the York show or the Chantilly/DC which is going on this weekend would be the place for that.

Had a decent time at the show but really was a direct repeat of last year. I really just find interest in the firearms stuff which was a 1/5th of the show. I wanted to venture much more into the fishing section but it wasn’t what I expected.
    I’m not sure I would go next year $14+$10 parking+3hr round trip and terrible food to see the exact same vendors with 98% same products.
    Was zero free stuff this year which was also a bummer.
    Only highlight was getting to chat with TGC (The Gun Collective) Co-Host Adam Kraut for awhile about various topics as he gets ready to run for the board of directors at the NRA. Hopefully if elected along with a few others they can move the NRA in a better direction.

That’s kinda what I thought too, never been that great of a firearms presence there. Had a better idea, checked Cabelas website for Hamburg PA store, they had almost everything I needed. Ran up there instead, though it was 30 min past H’Burg. I’ve driven past that Cabelas many times but this was the 1st time I stopped in (1st in any Cabelas actually). Damn impressive store. Is it always this bat-crap crazy crowded? X’ms Eve has nothing on today. That store was mobbed, anyone with any experience there know if it’s always like that on Saturday afternoon at 4pm? I almost had an anxiety attack, people were packed like sardines & knuckleheadedry abounded, I was getting close to punching people. They had some “2nd Amendment Sale” of some kind, wasn’t all that spectacular, 10% off I think. Some decent ammo deals. I found nearly all the mags I was looking for, some must’ve been snagged before I got to them because the website said they were in stock but they were gone when I got there.

I still may ride up to the GAOS tomorrow, to chat with some guides as usual. I usually go every year, in the hopes I run into something I can’t pass up. I typically just come home with catalogs and flyers, and some miscellaneous hunting items. Thinking Maine Bear hunt again (will be 3rd time) and possibly Colorado pronghorn and/or elk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom