• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I am still in the "doing my homework" stage

Not just for guns but for everything else. I am heading up there this weekend to explore the area more and see if I would want to live there

I spend a lot of time further North in the Hershey area. I absolutely love it up there but for some specific reasons I don't want to be physically that far from Baltimore County. (I just don't want to live here anymore)

I just moved here and don't want to be here anymore either.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Moving guns into PA is as simple as it should be, no registration or bs. All long guns are just a 4473, all hand guns are a 4473 and a 1 page form(technically unconstitutional and 2a groups fight it from time to time). Transporting them is a lot like MD's BS law, cased, unloaded etc. LTCF/CCW permits are cheap, quick and easy to get, so pistols can be carried most places, rifles still have ancient and onerous game commision regs governing them, and can't be loaded in a vehicle. No problem with NFA stuff, no such thing as "assault" weapons, no restriction on mags or accessories, and FFL transfers are generally cheap, my local guy Winter Firearms does them for $20 at his house, and will work with any FFL that is willing to ship him a gun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yeah Hummelstown is nice

Super rural feeling but only like a mile from restraunts and stores and only 10 minutes from Harrisburg if you needed something more city for some reason

Plus there is a Sheetz right there off 322

I do enjoy a good Pretzle bun hot dog for $1

It's funny how close most of the central PA cities are to nothing. go east or north of Harrisburg, and it's really nice. Depending on how sparse of an area you want, there is a place to call home. Most of the state is just empty Appalachia with pockets of civilation spread around. The PA rt 125 ride from Ft Indiantown gap to Knoebels is epic, especially on 2 wheels.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Why do you say this? I thought they are clearly posted on the real estate listing and also in tax record?

The real problem with school taxes is that they can change very easily. Up the road from me is Spring Grove school district. I don't know the amounts but a few years ago they raised their school tax rate to an astronomical level. This forced some retirees to relocate.

I must have been given bad information.

What happened to Spring Grove sounds like a nightmare.

Yeah Hummelstown is nice

Super rural feeling but only like a mile from restraunts and stores and only 10 minutes from Harrisburg if you needed something more city for some reason

Plus there is a Sheetz right there off 322

I do enjoy a good Pretzle bun hot dog for $1

Growing up, I spent a lot of time on The Swatty (Swatara Creek) in canoes, tubes, etc. (I'm from Colonial Park)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is relevant: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=245044

You might be hassled for a whole 8 minutes to get a CCW permit if you don't already have a PA accepted permit. :lol:

Enjoy the freedom if you do in fact make it to free country.

How did that happen? I guess each county is different.
    Wayne county wanted 2 references, of which they mailed them like a 5 question questionnaire. When they received them back, I was just in the office long enough for her to run a NCIC, take my picture, and laminate the card.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's funny how close most of the central PA cities are to nothing. go east or north of Harrisburg, and it's really nice. Depending on how sparse of an area you want, there is a place to call home. Most of the state is just empty Appalachia with pockets of civilation spread around. The PA rt 125 ride from Ft Indiantown gap to Knoebels is epic, especially on 2 wheels.

I am 20 miles from Honesdale, and 20 miles from Dickson City/Scranton. The 2010 Census of Preston Township was about 1,000 people.
    I love it out here.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    So I went and looked at houses in southern PA this weekend and I love the area

Far enough away from crowded areas to feel like you can get peace and quiet but close enough that I wouldn't need to change jobs

House prices are significantly lower....school taxes are significantly higher...but income tax is observably lower

The real deal sealer for me was when I checked out the local elementary school.

IT HAD SWINGSETS!

Maryland banned swings at schools like 30 years ago because kids could get hurt. PA apparently doesn't baby kids so sold. Seeing those swingsets in the school playground was the final nail in the coffin of my Maryland residency

It's just a matter of finding the right house now

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Printed my CCW form and mailed it in with $20 money order. Week later had my license. York County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A whole week? Last time, they apologized to me that they couldn't have it finished in a day. :D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    So I went and looked at houses in southern PA this weekend and I love the area

Far enough away from crowded areas to feel like you can get peace and quiet but close enough that I wouldn't need to change jobs

House prices are significantly lower....school taxes are significantly higher...but income tax is observably lower

The real deal sealer for me was when I checked out the local elementary school.

IT HAD SWINGSETS!

Maryland banned swings at schools like 30 years ago because kids could get hurt. PA apparently doesn't baby kids so sold. Seeing those swingsets in the school playground was the final nail in the coffin of my Maryland residency

It's just a matter of finding the right house now

yeah I did the math a bunch of times and even though people bitch about the school taxes, it still ends up being lower than Maryland taxes overall.

Be wary of Derry Township though. I lived there in Hershey for a while. They have, in addition to the school taxes, a $500 tax just for living there. They call it an occupational tax or something.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    When mom and dad first moved to the Harrisburg area they lived in Perry County which is Northwest of Harrisburg. In Pittsburgh it took dad about 45 minutes to get to work most mornings, only about a 10 mile trip but with traffic etc..... In Perry County it still took 45 minutes to get to work but it was all 4 lane. Leave the house, go about a mile to get on Rt.322, get off in Harrisburg and 1 block to the office. Mom is now in Elizabethtown and my brother lives in Lewisberry, right across the street from Gifford Pinchot State Park, a beautiful area.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm in Yardley PA which is in Bucks County. I've been in PA about 4 years. I moved here from behind enemy lines. The only bad thing about this area is that there are a lot of Liberal Democrats...transplants from NY , NJ, MD, and CT. Democrats have a slightly outnumber Republicans. It would be great if all of the disgruntled pro 2A/pro freedom republicans from NY, NJ, MD and CT moved here to push out the progressives.

It is suburban but not annoyingly crowded like NJ or Long Island NY. Property and school taxes around here run between 5k - 20k depending on your house and size of property. I pay under 6k which includes both property and school taxes. Houses runs between $350,000 - $1 million +.

I have two kids. It is a nice area to raise a family. There a few great gun shops, Tanner's, Surplus City, The Bunker Gun Shop, Clayton's, Classic Pistol are just a few I could think of off the top of my head. The first time feeling of freedom is awesome... walking into a gun shop, seeing what you like, passing a background and walking out with your purchase within 15 minutes...I tell my friends and family about free America. They can't wait to leave where I am from.

Shopping is close by. Depending on your job sector, you can commute to Philly which is within 30 minutes of me. NYC is an 1.5 hours by express train from Trenton NJ, door to door if you worked in midtown.

if you have questions about the area, let me know. I'll assist if I can.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Printed my CCW form and mailed it in with $20 money order. Week later had my license. York County

Several years back York County began to require that NR CCW applicants own land in the county. Does York no longer require this?

Just curious. I've renewed in Adams County (Gettysburg, beautiful drive) the past couple of times.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Several years back York County began to require that NR CCW applicants own land in the county. Does York no longer require this?

Just curious. I've renewed in Adams County (Gettysburg, beautiful drive) the past couple of times.

They did not ask on the form. I sold my house in MD and moved into my fiancée’s house in Stewartstown. Only needed a PA driver’s license

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom