• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    A case of guidos behving badly. Ung didn't need six but he was it his right to shoot the thug.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've read a lot on the PAFOA forum about incidents where the cops clearly did not know the gun laws of their own state. Several stories where guys were out eating ice cream with the kids legally exercising their 2nd amendment right when the cops show up and harass him. I've read stories where cops say to law abiding citizens that they shouldn't be carrying in public, it is dangerous.

The hassle of dealing with stupid cops (no, not all cops are stupid, just the very few who want to make up their own laws) almost makes me not want to carry.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Was Ung's GF white? Philly maybe the city of "brotherly love" but not in some areas if your dark skin tone is not from a tanning bed or spraying on the "tan in a can".

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Most times when there is a pack there is a pack mentality. The younger the pack the easier it seems to be able to stir them up and breeding doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. People need to get it in their head that F888ing with other people even when their friends may think it is funny is not a sport, can get out of hand and people will get hurt.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I love how some comments on the news page said Ung was not in any life threatening danger! Well tell that to Zack Sowwers... he was beat down by multiple young men. Hell one advisary could beat the life out of you if they do it right! This is totally justifyable!

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    is there any info if Ung was drinking? I think he was justified but if he was tested I would think it would make it harder for his defense

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A case of guidos behving badly. Ung didn't need six but he was it his right to shoot the thug.

The guy grabbed him and was punching him as he was firing, didn't really drop till Ung ran out of ammo, it also explains the high hit percentage in the lower torso, classic retension firing position. I would have gone into mag dump mode too, try to get to cover and reload incase his buddies continued the attack. He shot to stop a deadly threat, simple enough. With the charges and arrests, Philly thinks they are their own state, and has a history of ignoring PA firearms laws, they pass their own bans that get struck down in short order, and arrest anyone they can even if legally carrying, they know the charges won't stick, but they try anyway. The police probably know the law, but are instructed to follow Philly's own brand of resistance to established PA gun rights and laws.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    too bad this guy got charged with anything....NOBODY should have to take an ass-whooping just because some hippy thinks that "every life is precious". Charging Ung only further empowers the bullies and other bad guys.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    More info from the Philly papers . .. today's story is supposed to be about Ung's friends' view of things, but half of the story is about the pro-Eddie Facebook page, and more statements from Eddie's PR firm:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20100122_Suspect_is_no_troublemaker__friends_say.html

Friends of Gerald Ung, the Temple University law student charged with shooting a Villanova University graduate six times in Old City last weekend, said yesterday that he is friendly, smart, and the opposite of a troublemaker.

"Gerald is not a gun-happy, overstressed law student waiting to go postal," one friend, Ernest Apaga, said in an e-mail. "He is extraordinarily gregarious and dynamic, and there is no doubt in my mind that his friends and professors at Temple are scurrying to figure out how to get him the proper legal counseling and funding he'll need." (...)

According to Rubel (KR-the family friend who happens to be the pres. of her own PR firm), DiDonato prevented two of his friends from being shot by stepping in front of Ung's gun. DiDonato's parents consider their son a hero, Rubel said.

Several of Ung's friends said yesterday that they believed Ung had fired in self-defense. Ung carried a gun for protection and was not easily provoked, they said.

Police have said DiDonato and friends were walking to get a cab at Fourth and Market Streets about 2:30 a.m. Sunday after a night at the area's bars and restaurants when they got into a scuffle with people who were with Ung.(...)

"Getting a cab" . . . "people" with Ung . . .just as the video shows . . .right

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The guy grabbed him and was punching him as he was firing, didn't really drop till Ung ran out of ammo, it also explains the high hit percentage in the lower torso, classic retension firing position. I would have gone into mag dump mode too, try to get to cover and reload incase his buddies continued the attack. He shot to stop a deadly threat, simple enough. With the charges and arrests, Philly thinks they are their own state, and has a history of ignoring PA firearms laws, they pass their own bans that get struck down in short order, and arrest anyone they can even if legally carrying, they know the charges won't stick, but they try anyway. The police probably know the law, but are instructed to follow Philly's own brand of resistance to established PA gun rights and laws.

After watching the tape a few times, you're right. The guy was on top of him.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    After watching the tape a few times, you're right. The guy was on top of him.

Yep, clear cut move to disarm Ung after pursuing him while retreating after he drew, definitely self defense. If disarmed a person is almost guaranteed to be shot with their own gun, and most every case involving attempted diarmament finds in favor of the person shooting to prevent the disarmament, there is little distinction between an assailant bringing their own gun, or one trying to take yours in the danger. I would even go as far to say that emptying the gun into the assailant during the struggle was a good tactic in that if the gun did get away fro him, the attacker would not be able to shoot, and he would have a better chance at getting out of any hold that might subject him to the threat the other assailants present. The police probably arrested and charged Ung before they knew the video existed, and after the perps friends probably name dropped every politician and bigshot they could think of. The video will probably save Ung's life just as much as the revolver did, without it we would probably be reading "Honor student and pillar of the community Eddie DiDonato savagely gunned down by deranged gunman out for blood, his killer is being held without bail pending his murder trial."

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    There's a new Facebook page "We Support Gerald Ung." This one is run by Gerald's friends, and has the official link to his legal defense fund Paypal account.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=nf&gid=442504090187

The original page I linked is organized by a guy who doesn't know Gerald, and who seems to have some bad PR issues of his own. Very entertaining discussions, though. And more "fans" so far than the new page. And more potential MDS shoot invitees from PA.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Unfortunately, this is one of the things that will be big news so the cops will not want to do whats right and find this shooting justified. They arrested the guy, and by doing so they just side stepped their responsibility of making their own decision and this puts it on the the court system to figure it out.

God forbid the cops say it was a justified shooting and take a chance for them to look bad. It is much better to put a good citizen through the ringer of the court system as he has to spend $200K on his defense proving what the cops should have said in the beginning saving him from all of this.

That way they can just side step the responsibility of doing whats right them selves and that a chance on looking bad.

The most this guy should have been charged with is carrying a gun without a permit.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Just the fact that this bad guy had a gun pointed at him and that was not enough to stop him should tell you that this guy was a very bad ass and could have killed this guy and would most likely have done so.

How many of you would still go after someone who pointing a gun at you? I know I would run the other way. But this bad guy did not care because he was the real deal out to hurt some one.

The laws protect the bad guys it seems, not the good guys.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think he has one in va which is also legal in pa

reciprocity and state pre-emption, Ung was 100% legal in carrying, however that normally doesn't stop Philly from violating his completely legal rights. IMO it would be the same thing as police arresting or harassing people from attempting to legally vote.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    Yet another reason not to be on the streets at 2:30am when the bars are closing. Nothin but drunken frat boys looking for a fight.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that this guy basically took a mag dump of 38 in the torso and it didn't immediately have much of an effect.

Larger, Heavier projectiles have much greater stopping power with fewer rounds leaving a defender with the possibility/capability of dealing with the aggressors accomplices without the requirement to reload.

38 is better than nothing but 45 is much more effective.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that this guy basically took a mag dump of 38 in the torso and it didn't immediately have much of an effect.

Larger, Heavier projectiles have much greater stopping power with fewer rounds leaving a defender with the possibility/capability of dealing with the aggressors accomplices without the requirement to reload.

38 is better than nothing but 45 is much more effective.

agreed but not as easy to hide on your person

I have a compact in 9mm easy to put in a in the pants holster ... my 45 is only fit for a drop down thigh holster the thing is huge in comparesion...for cc lots of folks carry the 38 plus a wheel gun will fire in what happend here a guy rushs you maybe the gun is pressed against the target...lot's of auto's are no good at that point

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom