Any Realtors on the board?

I have a few questions reguarding:

MIL Rates (School taxes)
    Insurnace rates
    Utility rates and suppliers
    schools (districts, etc.)
    car inspections and emissions
    etc.

We are moving to either Carroll County or lower York County. The primary reason is the schools for my tot. Second reason is the quality of life which includes a gun friendly culture.

Any realtors on the board that would be willing to help? I'd rather keep it in the family so to speak before making cold calls to PA realtors.

Thanks,

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I'll be watching this thread. The wife and I talked a little about moving up there after the gets back from the 'Stan. We figure it'll be our last military move before she retires.
    Still undecided though until we make sure we're trading one set of problems for ones we don't mind as much, or less of them. Maryland is decent, but I could do with some better gun laws, tax issues, ect.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm not a realtor, but Moved from Westminster, MD to Windsor, PA(central York co) 3 years ago. We love it, and although MD was my home for 20+ years, I will never return after living here, much easier going lifestyle, less expense, less issues, and the state basically leaves you alone for most things. There are a lot of taxes, every borough, township and locality wants their cut, but most tax bills are something like $20 outside of the income, propery and school taxes, for us at least, they are rougly comparable to MD, income tax is lower, property+school tax is higher, but housing costs and cost of living are quite a bit lower. There is little crime outside of downtown York, lots of entertainment in the area, and a ton of family activies(mini-golf is HUGE up here, and mom&pop icecream parlours). There are festivals in most towns for Holidays, usually with fireworks, food and local vendors, fairs, carnivals, car-shows and the like.(The York and Carlisle car shows are gigantic). Small buisnesses are alive and well, lots of small shops and restraunts that are good and reasonablely priced. There are a ton of people with a small buisness on the weekends, sometimes related to their main job for things like landscaping, house repairs, car repairs etc.. so you can often save a lot looking around for people doing side jobs, or going by word of mouth.

So far most utilities are comparable, except for electricity, which is currently at "pre-BGE hike" rates, I have a roughly 3,000sq ft rancher including the finished basement, Met-Ed electric runs $100-$150 a month year round. My car insurance dropped by about 20%, homeowners insurance, hard to say, but probably comprable or a bit cheaper. No first hand knowlege of schools yet, but the neighbors(like minded conservative/pro-gun) have 2 girls in elementary school, and love the schools, lots of special GT or assistance programs, and afterschool sports and activities, again, no first hand knowledge, so take this for what it's worth.

Inspection and registrations are annual whick is a PITA, but much less than MD, A motorcycle is $18, car is $36, light trucks and USVs are $58-$83 compared to MD's $128-$180 bi-annual. Inspections are quick and basic at private shops, usually $50-$75 for both the safety and emissions, nowhere near as detailed or involved as MD's inspections(MD only requires safety inspection when title changes hands, or is new to the state, emissions is $20 or so every 2 years at a state facility).

As far as firearms go, a carry permit can be had with a 1 page application(less info than a 4473, but requires 2 non-family references), $25 and about 3 days, good for 5 years. There are dozens of small cheap private ranges, my local range is $25 a year, allows most responsible shooting at paper targets(positions, combat pistol, holster draws etc.). Concealed carry is relatively common with around 1 in 9 York co residents having a LTCF, OC is less common, and I only occasionally OC, but haven't had any issues. Had 3 separate encounters with police while CCing (witness to a crash, immigration checkpoint and at home, officer stopped by to welcome us to the neighborhood while I was OCing), all were informed I was carrying all were polite and professional, none asked to see my permit, gave it a second thought, or inconvenienced me in any way.

We were VERY happy with our realtor, he spent a great deal of time with us, and was very patient with little to no pressure, but was prompt to return calls or e-mails, this was our first home, and had a couple crappy realtors before that just kinda brushed us off, or were too pushy. He has lived locally for his whole life, and knows the area well.

Fred Ditzler@Keller Williams Realty
    Phone: 717-600-3076
    Mobile: 717-880-0732
    Office: 717-755-5599

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    I'll be watching this thread. The wife and I talked a little about moving up there after the gets back from the 'Stan. We figure it'll be our last military move before she retires.
    Still undecided though until we make sure we're trading one set of problems for ones we don't mind as much, or less of them. Maryland is decent, but I could do with some better gun laws, tax issues, ect.

I'll be watching too. Within the next year I hope to get out of my miserable little apartment and hope to move somewhere with grass. And guns.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I'm not a realtor, but Moved from Westminster, MD to Windsor, PA(central York co) 3 years ago. We love it, and although MD was my home for 20+ years, I will never return after living here, much easier going lifestyle, less expense, less issues, and the state basically leaves you alone for most things. There are a lot of taxes, every borough, township and locality wants their cut, but most tax bills are something like $20 outside of the income, propery and school taxes, for us at least, they are rougly comparable to MD, income tax is lower, property+school tax is higher, but housing costs and cost of living are quite a bit lower. There is little crime outside of downtown York, lots of entertainment in the area, and a ton of family activies(mini-golf is HUGE up here, and mom&pop icecream parlours). There are festivals in most towns for Holidays, usually with fireworks, food and local vendors, fairs, carnivals, car-shows and the like.(The York and Carlisle car shows are gigantic). Small buisnesses are alive and well, lots of small shops and restraunts that are good and reasonablely priced. There are a ton of people with a small buisness on the weekends, sometimes related to their main job for things like landscaping, house repairs, car repairs etc.. so you can often save a lot looking around for people doing side jobs, or going by word of mouth.

So far most utilities are comparable, except for electricity, which is currently at "pre-BGE hike" rates, I have a roughly 3,000sq ft rancher including the finished basement, Met-Ed electric runs $100-$150 a month year round. My car insurance dropped by about 20%, homeowners insurance, hard to say, but probably comprable or a bit cheaper. No first hand knowlege of schools yet, but the neighbors(like minded conservative/pro-gun) have 2 girls in elementary school, and love the schools, lots of special GT or assistance programs, and afterschool sports and activities, again, no first hand knowledge, so take this for what it's worth.

Inspection and registrations are annual whick is a PITA, but much less than MD, A motorcycle is $18, car is $36, light trucks and USVs are $58-$83 compared to MD's $128-$180 bi-annual. Inspections are quick and basic at private shops, usually $50-$75 for both the safety and emissions, nowhere near as detailed or involved as MD's inspections(MD only requires safety inspection when title changes hands, or is new to the state, emissions is $20 or so every 2 years at a state facility).

As far as firearms go, a carry permit can be had with a 1 page application(less info than a 4473, but requires 2 non-family references), $25 and about 3 days, good for 5 years. There are dozens of small cheap private ranges, my local range is $25 a year, allows most responsible shooting at paper targets(positions, combat pistol, holster draws etc.)

We were VERY happy with our realtor, he spent a great deal of time with us, and was very patient with little to no pressure, but was prompt to return calls or e-mails, this was our first home, and had a couple crappy realtors before that just kinda brushed us off, or were too pushy. He has lived locally for his whole life, and knows the area well.

Fred Ditzler@Keller Williams Realty
    Phone: 717-600-3076
    Mobile: 717-880-0732
    Office: 717-755-5599

Awesome right up!!!

The main things and reasons were the points that you hit on, which were the housing prices and costs, as well as retirement income taxes.

Our MAIN issue is having to sell our current home ($475k+) which is going to be a pain due to the new lending requirements and it being a jumbo loan.
    We put $40k or more into it, but I don't mind even breaking even, especially since we have only owned this one for a little on 3 years. It is the same as what you have now, 3100sqft., water privileged and 2 car garage (very few garages in MD, I don't get it). The difference is up there it costs half as much and you get 10x the land.

The wife just called after finishing her day doing IED training. I'm really hoping she just comes back in one piece right now.
    Back to the reality of this situation sucks.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    I guess this would be a great place to ask if anyone knows of any townhomes or houses in the -175k range with a little bit of land? Fixer-uppers are ok, just looking for somewhere within commuting distance to APG

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Awesome right up!!!

The main things and reasons were the points that you hit on, which were the housing prices and costs, as well as retirement income taxes.

Our MAIN issue is having to sell our current home ($475k+) which is going to be a pain due to the new lending requirements and it being a jumbo loan.
    We put $40k or more into it, but I don't mind even breaking even, especially since we have only owned this one for a little on 3 years. It is the same as what you have now, 3100sqft., water privileged and 2 car garage (very few garages in MD, I don't get it). The difference is up there it costs half as much and you get 10x the land.

The wife just called after finishing her day doing IED training. I'm really hoping she just comes back in one piece right now.
    Back to the reality of this situation sucks.

You can probably find something like that in a new development with an acre or more for under $300K, housing prices have held their value relatively well, but there are still a lot of decent deals if you look.

I guess this would be a great place to ask if anyone knows of any townhomes or houses in the -175k range with a little bit of land? Fixer-uppers are ok, just looking for somewhere within commuting distance to APG

THIS is 10 grand under your price range, 2 level 3br/2bath 2500sq ft rancher with deck, porch, in-ground-pool on almost an acre right up the street from me. The wife's parents live in Aberdeen, she still works in Abingdon, takes 45 minutes down rt 74 to get there. Unless you REALLY want a town house, housing and land is cheap enough, that you can just buy a detatched house.

Call Fred, he will help you out.

forbeer

Jan 24, 2010
    alucard,

thanks for the heads up, i will call the realtor to interview him this week.

we are looking near the md line on 83 since we both work in the cockeysville area. what area are you in?

since PA is a commonwealth like virginia i am curious, does PA have personal property tax like virginia. for example a buddy lived in va for a few years (navy), each year he was taxed on the value of his car, boat, jetski, etc.

what is the political climate like? i heard that gov. randell was a joke but haven't heard much else about pa politics. i'm sure pa is has its share of moron politics but just about anything should be better than md (this is a pathically Blue state).

thanks again!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    alucard,

thanks for the heads up, i will call the realtor to interview him this week.

we are looking near the md line on 83 since we both work in the cockeysville area. what area are you in?

since PA is a commonwealth like virginia i am curious, does PA have personal property tax like virginia. for example a buddy lived in va for a few years (navy), each year he was taxed on the value of his car, boat, jetski, etc.

what is the political climate like? i heard that gov. randell was a joke but haven't heard much else about pa politics. i'm sure pa is has its share of moron politics but just about anything should be better than md (this is a pathically Blue state).

thanks again!

I live in Windsor, work from home 90% of the time, but my job is in Cockeysville also, as long as I beat rush-hour it takes 45minutes to get there. When we moved up here, I took the drive for 4 months before I could work from home, wasn't that bad, unless something stupid happened on 83, It takes me abut 15 min to get to exit 14 on 83, so if you are closer, or further south, you might be able to make it in under 30 minutes.

I grew up in VA beach (navy brat), and my Dad still has close ties to VA,so I'm farmiliar with the PPT, and it does suck. PA doesn't have it.

PA politics are exceedingly local. Being a commonwealth, Townships, cities and Boroughs handle most matters, the county and school district also determine a lot of what you have to deal with, York co is extremely conservative fiscally and socially, and overwhelmingly Republican, so outside of the couple liberal loons overseeing the slummy areas of York city there is little to fear. The state can go either way, Philly politics are rotten, and every bit as bad as Baltimore, PG and Montgomery counties, but the rest of the state presently has more influence. The state leans Republican slightly, but there is a huge blue collar/union worker influence, so there are plenty of pro-labor republicans and conservative democrats that are decent. Gun rights are another world from MD. Outside of Philly, firearms are a proud tradition, and while gunright tend to be heavily Fudd influenced, for the most part gunowners are let alone, carry laws and gun laws in general are far better than most of the country. PA also has more than 1 million NRA members and well over 1 million hunting licenses issued every year, more than any other state, so the NRA is quick to help, and the hun owning public is informed and active. A couple years ago, before I moved here, there was a bill that would have required yearly registration and a $50 fee per firearm being heard in Harrisburg, I was there.

There were THOUSANDS of opponents with me, it was unreal compared to my work in MD with MSI. People surrounded the capitol, it was the most orderly and polite riot I have ever seen:D Needless to say, even amongst democrats, largely supported by gun owning unionized skilled labor, gun control at the state level is political suicide. I did some work with our new Governor Tom Corbett when he was running for AG, and again when running for Governor, he is conservative fiscally, socially moderate, and vehemently pro-gun. He had heavy NRA support, and I got to meet and talk to him at an NRA breakfast early in the campaign, he was part of the anti-Obamacare lawsuit, investigated and brought cases aggainst corrupt leaders in both parties, issued inquiries and legal action aggainst the ATF on behalf of gun dealers, is STRONGLY pro-carry, and even pro-NFA arms. He does have some faults IMO, but has widespread support, and as far as I can tell a down to earth honorable leader.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    If anyone needs any assistance on the financing side (scenarios run, net proceeds from sale, etc) I'm happy to help. There are a couple realtors on this board as well that I know of and I know us MDS peeps will lend a hand when needed. Not meant to be a shameless plug, seriously just offering help if needed.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Rendell is gone! The new republican governor is Tom Corbett.

I also moved to Windsor Township - just a few blocks from Red Lion - in a home I bought in Jan 2007 right around Owe'Malley's inauguration/coronation. I had lived in the Baltimore area all my life before that.

Red Lion school district was one of the lowest in school taxes in York County and my daily commute to Timonium takes between 45 minutes to an hour.

Instead of a well and septic, I'm on Red Lion water (only $4.23 most months) Windsor sewer (only $97.50 per quarter) and free trash pickup (many other places must pay). Overall I think my tax burden is a little less than what I paid for similar digs in Baltimore County and much less than Baltimore City. I pay about half as much a year to Met-Ed and Columbia gas than I used to pay BGE. Also pay less for vehicle insurance and registration, but then you have the annual required inspection/emissions testing.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    You can probably find something like that in a new development with an acre or more for under $300K, housing prices have held their value relatively well, but there are still a lot of decent deals if you look.

THIS is 10 grand under your price range, 2 level 3br/2bath 2500sq ft rancher with deck, porch, in-ground-pool on almost an acre right up the street from me. The wife's parents live in Aberdeen, she still works in Abingdon, takes 45 minutes down rt 74 to get there. Unless you REALLY want a town house, housing and land is cheap enough, that you can just buy a detatched house.

Call Fred, he will help you out.

That is good to know. I am seriously looking into it now. We have a good 9 months or more to make a formal decision and put our house on the market. While the wife is in Afghanistan I plan on doing a lot of research, as well as scouting.
    I also have a lot of Club Brothers up in there that I have been talking to and getting to know the quirks about the townships and such.
    We feel comfortable in the $350-$400k range as long as it comes with 10-20acres, with a modern house. I still have to see if that is feasible though. I'd like to build since this is our 3rd home and I've done extensive remodeling as well as additions to all of our previous homes. So we know what we like and don't like, ie. the prerequisites for building.

I'll definitely hit you up with more specific questions if I come across them in my learning since you seem to know your way around the MD to PA issues.

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania
    Here is a great buy! 450 Glenville Road, Glenville, PA 17321 3300sqft, 6 Car garages, 7 acres, Barns and heated pool and spa, was $800,000 in 2008 for sale today for $430,000.....4 bedroom, 2-full, 2 half baths, full club basement, built in 1998. Just google the address the listing will come up.....offer cash deal with quick settlement $390,000 will probably be accepted. Inside Info....just over the MD line from Manchester!! Taxes are not bad!!

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Here is a great buy! 450 Glenville Road, Glenville, PA 17321 3300sqft, 6 Car garages, 7 acres, Barns and heated pool and spa, was $800,000 in 2008 for sale today for $430,000.....4 bedroom, 2-full, 2 half baths, full club basement, built in 1998. Just google the address the listing will come up.....offer cash deal with quick settlement $390,000 will probably be accepted. Inside Info....just over the MD line from Manchester!! Taxes are not bad!!

Wow! Nice place. That would be pretty much like what we are in now except for the wood burning fireplace, all the land, and the separate 6 car detached garage.
    We BOTH miss our wood burning fireplace from North Dakota. It was soooo nice to sit back and relax next to the fireplace in the winter!

If I keep seeing listings like those, it will be a no brainer.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks Alucard! Hopefully it's still on the market after my legal stuff settles down :-/....

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I just moved from Hartford County to Delta, PA last Sept. My experience had been the same as the others posted here, with a few exceptions.

I'm on town water and sewer, to the tune of $70/mo. That's what I used to pay per quarter in Md. My electric (PECO) IS cheaper than BGE, but we're on propane heat now instead of natural gas. That was running around $300/mo in the middle of winter.

The only thing MD has over PA is better alcohol laws (private stores and internet purchases).

Corey G

Worst Speller Ever
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Oxford PA
    I have been trying to move from MD to PA for about 5 years, the houseing slump has really hurt me no one wants a 1500 Sqft starter home any more, unless its 150K in a state where the median home price is 300K. IMO you get way more for your money in PA then MD can ever offer, crime in the state is a joke compaired to Baltimores 250 + murders every year, FBI top ten again this year. Every time I go up there people are freindly and service is great. If you like your guns, your dogs and your trucks PA is the place to be. I really like my agent Dwayne Dull hes with Remax, I have had a few agents up there and hes by far the best I have had. Hes based out of Hanover area but he knows all of Souther Yourk County and Adams County something you might want to consider if your a car guy like me Adams county does not have emmsions.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I have been trying to move from MD to PA for about 5 years, the houseing slump has really hurt me no one wants a 1500 Sqft starter home any more, unless its 150K in a state where the median home price is 300K. IMO you get way more for your money in PA then MD can ever offer, crime in the state is a joke compaired to Baltimores 250 + murders every year, FBI top ten again this year. Every time I go up there people are freindly and service is great. If you like your guns, your dogs and your trucks PA is the place to be. I really like my agent Dwayne Dull hes with Remax, I have had a few agents up there and hes by far the best I have had. Hes based out of Hanover area but he knows all of Souther Yourk County and Adams County something you might want to consider if your a car guy like me Adams county does not have emmsions.

Emissions inspection is a state mandate and I don't believe any county is exempt from it. I agree with most of the posters except on one issue. Lancaster is WAY better than our crummy sister city. Ya'll can just stay on your side of the river :D.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    No emission inspections here in Franklin County. Adams County is the last one going west that has them along the southern tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom