Can a maryland resident get a ccp in pa?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2012
    Frederick County
    I would like to get my concealed carry permit for pa. but i live in md. any info about this whether i can apply or not?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the info from Centre County PA Sheriff:
    Sheriff

Instructions for License to Carry Firearm Application

License to Carry Firearms Applications Via Mail to be Discontinued on March 31, 2011

As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.
    Therefore we will not be able to process any mailed applications received after March 31, 2011.

Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following:

1. A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that state has a concealed carry law.
    2. A photo copy of your Driver's License.
    3. A self addressed stamped envelope.
    4. $20.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing. (Check/money order made out to Centre County Sheriff.)
    Mail to:
    Centre County Sheriff's Office
    213 East High Street
    Bellefonte, PA 16823
    Special Note: Missouri is now considered an issuing State, therefore it is mandatory that Missouri residents obtain a license to carry from Missouri and include a photo copy with the application.
    License to Carry Firearm Application [PDF]

Back to Sheriff's Office Main Page
    MD has a carry law but as of now you'd have an almost impossible time getting a permit from MD. Based on that, I don't see how you could comply with the PA law. Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Here is the info from Centre County PA Sheriff:

MD has a carry law but as of now you'd have an almost impossible time getting a permit from MD. Based on that, I don't see how you could comply with the PA law. Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

To get a permit in PA, one would have to create a primary residence in PA. Creating residency under PA law.

Which is an expensive proposition...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To get a permit in PA, one would have to create a primary residence in PA. Creating residency under PA law.

Which is an expensive proposition...

Wonder why it's not mentioned on the app or web page? The fee even mentions out of state processing.

Just curious, not being argumentative.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From www.handgunlaw.us

Non-Resident Permits
    It is simple to get a PA Non-Resident Permit/License. Starting 3/31/11 PA will no longer issue by mail.

You have to make a trip to PA to apply. If they do not issue it to you in your short visit they will mail you the permit/license when it is approved.

Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following:
    1. A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that
    state has a concealed carry law.
    If from IL you should bring your FOID Card.
    2. A photo copy of your Driver's License.
    3. Names, Addresses and Phone #’s of 2 references.
    4. $20.00 to $24.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing. Note: You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state issue permits. Unless you are from Illinois, DC or Vermont you have to have a permit from your home state. If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License. Some Sheriff’s will not issue to non residents and/or have other stipulations to issue to non-residents. Check with the Sheriff’s Dept before you appear to apply.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Wonder why it's not mentioned on the app or web page? The fee even mentions out of state processing.

Just curious, not being argumentative.

Last year or so. The law was passed that you have to have a primary residence in PA, or in the state of your primary residence.

Either do one or the other, some sheriffs will not issue a permit to a person with an out of state DL. Which my sheriff wanted also initially, I then pointed to the law, and what Penndot has to say http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-54a.pdf. It comes down to a chicken and egg argument

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It would appear Centre County does not require residence in PA but if you're in MD, no permit for you since as of now you can't get a MD permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no change. Philly got slapped for prosecuting a legal OC'er (Mark Fiorino) but that's all I am aware of. Maybe Inigoes can enlighten if there's more.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    no change. Philly got slapped for prosecuting a legal OC'er (Mark Fiorino) but that's all I am aware of. Maybe Inigoes can enlighten if there's more.

Nope, no changes. I think FL is accepted also.

A big change in the pipeline, is state preemption like florida's, Nutter is squeeling in Harrisburg over that one. Keep an eye on the PA Legislature this session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom