Can a maryland resident get a ccp in pa?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    PA gave me a permit and renewed it and I don't have a PA residence or a MD permit.

How'd you swing that?
    I would like to know as well.

When I applied for a Pa Non-Res permit, a nice guy from the York County Sheriff's office called to ask a few questions. When it became clear I was a MD resident with no MD permit, he apologetically said I couldn't get a PA non-resident permit and said he would either mail back the check I wrote or just rip it up.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    You three might want to read the post you're quoting. The poster is right, TO GET A PA NON-RES permit, you need a permit from your HOME STATE.

Yes, you can carry in PA on a Utah permit, but unless you're a Utah resident, it won't help you get a PA permit.

Agreed. My point is/was (and I just edited to clarify) - just get a non-resident permit from one of the easy states to get and carry in PA with that permit. Why jump through hoops to get a PA non-resident?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Agreed. My point is/was (and I just edited to clarify) - just get a non-resident permit from one of the easy states to get and carry in PA with that permit. Why jump through hoops to get a PA non-resident?

Sorry I misunderstood your comment. I took it as the Utah non resident permit not being valid in PA. I agree that a MD resident should get one of the many permits accepted on PA, which one is up to them.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    so, just to sum up all these posts in here:

PA will not issue you a non-resident CCW unless you have a permit from your home state.
    If you already have a non-resident CCW permit from another state that is accepted in PA (ie: utah, va, florida), you can legally carry concealed in PA with that permit.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    How'd you swing that?

Filled out the application, sent them $20 and a copy of my Florida permit (where I also don't have a residence) and they sent me a permit.

Attachments

• PA CCW.jpg
      PA CCW.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 113

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Filled out the application, sent them $20 and a copy of my Florida permit (where I also don't have a residence) and they sent me a permit.

Your permit was issued in 2008 before they changed the law. Currently PA will not issue to the average Maryland resident.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Far as I know the clause in question predates 2008 as well.

They allowed Maryland residents to hold a PA permit until mid 2010. Many of our customers that live along the border applied for UT since their permit was expiring.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA

I remember getting my first non-resident PA permit. Late 80's or early 90's (I was a MD resident). I walk into the courthouse in Centre County and announce that I want a permit. Denny Nau, the Sheriff then and *now*, comes out, apologizes for having to go to a meeting, and he asks if I would mind coming back in an HOUR to pick up my permit. :lol2:

I went out to eat lunch, came back in about 90 minutes and the permit was sitting on the secretary's desk waiting for me.

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    Tylenator said:
    But one thing... As a MD resident, wouldn't te transport f the firearm technically be illegal

Dammit I hit send too soon ha. As a MD resident... We can only transport a gun if we're going to the range or a shop etc... Legally. So if I were to go to PA for the day and I wanted to carry (having a Utah permit) wouldn't the drive from MD to PA be illegal since I'm not going to the range or a place to use the gun? Id be driving it "just because". Of course you could always say you were going to the range but still.. Just curious about the fine print.

Worst case scenario if you had to use your weapon when in PA... As a MD resident you could get nailed for the illegal transport in the first
    Place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom