• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Generic_human

Lurker
    Jun 20, 2011
    Maryland
    I apologize in advance if this question has been beaten to death but I can't get much from the search function.

Let's say I have a pistol-caliber AR-style pistol. It has a pistol brace, and a 10.5' barrel.

My understanding is that if the weapon is over 26" OAL, then it becomes some kind of magical non-pistol, non-rifle thing, and I can put a Vertical Foregrip on it?

Can anyone educate me on the Maryland rules for this since they are different from federal?

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    What they said, just be care ful about 26in OAL.

After contacting ATF twice on the VFG, 26" OAL subject.

Both have confirmed measurements are from end of barrel or perm attached
    muzzle to end of attached brace.

Vert grip must be removed before brace is removed ofc.

End of brace measurement is at most extended position if available.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks for asking this. I had been intending to come in here to ask this as of a few days ago.

To go further, with the fact that SBRs in MD have to be >29 inches and the ATF does not consider handguns with VFGs >26 inches to be AOW, is there any benefit to actually going the SBR route in MD or is it just extra tax and extra paperwork for making and transporting?

The only things I can think of that support going the SBR route are a better, purpose built, actual stock instead of a brace and (possibly? really not sure) relaxed transport rules within MD as it would no longer be a handgun. Though I'm unlikely to leave a >$1k gun unattended in a car regardless. The third possible benefit is not having to care about the ATF reversing themselves again on braces, but I could always just send in the form at that point and shoot from the cheek for 9 months.

Any other benefits I'm missing or if I decide to get a scorpion evo (and/or a bren 805 to further complete my CZ collection) should I just get the pistol with side folding brace and VFG and move on with my life?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for asking this. I had been intending to come in here to ask this as of a few days ago.

To go further, with the fact that SBRs in MD have to be >29 inches and the ATF does not consider handguns with VFGs >26 inches to be AOW, is there any benefit to actually going the SBR route in MD or is it just extra tax and extra paperwork for making and transporting?

The only things I can think of that support going the SBR route are a better, purpose built, actual stock instead of a brace and (possibly? really not sure) relaxed transport rules within MD as it would no longer be a handgun. Though I'm unlikely to leave a >$1k gun unattended in a car regardless. The third possible benefit is not having to care about the ATF reversing themselves again on braces, but I could always just send in the form at that point and shoot from the cheek for 9 months.

Any other benefits I'm missing or if I decide to get a scorpion evo (and/or a bren 805 to further complete my CZ collection) should I just get the pistol with side folding brace and VFG and move on with my life?

SBRs are considered handguns for the purposes of transport in MD, so cross that one off.

With the current state of brace technology and ATF guidance on the issue, my 0.02 is "just extra tax and extra paperwork," not even any carry or transport benefits.

But if you have ever occasionally shouldered a brace, vs a stock, yes a stock is most definitely an improvement in comfort and function, unless you are 5'1. Is it worth the extra tax and paperwork? Plus the effort of getting a modified stock that brings it to 29" which may be a unicorn for non-AR type pistols? YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SBRs are considered handguns for the purposes of transport in MD, so cross that one off.

With the current state of brace technology and ATF guidance on the issue, my 0.02 is "just extra tax and extra paperwork," not even any carry or transport benefits.

But if you have ever occasionally shouldered a brace, vs a stock, yes a stock is most definitely an improvement in comfort and function, unless you are 5'1. Is it worth the extra tax and paperwork? Plus the effort of getting a modified stock that brings it to 29" which may be a unicorn for non-AR type pistols? YMMV

In many cases, you will make the 29" goal with an 11" barrel(not too many of those out there. Look at Ballistic Advantage...) using a standard length carbine buffer stock/tube. :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as you are going to be 29in anyway , why not use that envelope to ballistic advantage ? Instead of off the wall stock set ups , why not just go with 11.5 or even 12.5in bbl ? More velocity , longer dwell time , more reliable functioning, less ammo sensitivity ?

( Disclaimer - I acted expeditiously in summer of '13 , and mine is grandfathered .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom