• ...and so much more!
  • Do Blondes Really Have More Fun?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A friend has asked me to prepare a rifle for sale and input on it from the MDS members would be appreciated.

It is an old M98 action with no real historical value that was sporterized many years ago and is now chambered in .30-06. The barrel is 20" long with open sights. The action is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Overall, very nice looking.

The stock is where my question lies. My friend used Gorilla glue to install a recoil pad and it is larger than the end of the stock. It was sanded and finished with an unknown material. It has fairly nice grain in the wood and was not stained.

This would make an excellent hunting rifle for our area, but I am not if I should stain it prior to refinishing. At present, the plan is to use a chemical stripper followed by sanding the recoil pad to fit the stock properly. The barrel makes contact with the stock in a few places, so it will be properly floated before finishing.

The question is: Do blondes really have more fun? To stain, or not to stain.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Is it worth the effort to do any more work? Sounds like you could sell it as-is.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I say let it sit in the rain and mud to give it a 'vintage patina'. Should fetch a pretty penny!

On the other hand maybe just wax/oil up the wood and let it go as is.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    When I refinished my first K98k, I didn't sand the stock, at all.

I removed the oil, grease, crud from the stock (using various methods, including "Whiting" from Brownell's), and steamed up the dents.
    The stock was covered in red shellac and the wrist of the stock was just full of oil and grease, to the point it was as black as a lump of coal.

I did repair one place on the forend, where a field repair had been done, and a piece of the repair fell out.

I did use a couple of different color "Scotch-Brite" pads, to buff the wood fibers, smooth before the last step.

I finished the stock with several coats of hand-rubbed Danish Oil, allowing at least a day between coats.

I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

• byf43Mauser.jpg
      byf43Mauser.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z