• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    "If" I had ammo and "If" I stored it in a gang box in the basement:

Basement is dry and modern, lots of shotgun shells, pistol rounds, rifle rounds.
    some stuff been in there 15-20 years.
    Some brass is getting tarnished, etc.

So what is everyones long term storage method?
    zipp lock bag with Desiccant paks?
    Huge bag liner for the whole gang box?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    "If" I had ammo and "If" I stored it in a gang box in the basement:

Basement is dry and modern, lots of shotgun shells, pistol rounds, rifle rounds.
    some stuff been in there 15-20 years.
    Some brass is getting tarnished, etc.

So what is everyones long term storage method?
    zipp lock bag with Desiccant paks?
    Huge bag liner for the whole gang box?

I have ammo from the 60's that I have never done anything special with. If it were paper shot shells maybe I would but then I probably wouldn't shoot them anyway. Desiccant packs in an ammo can with a proper seal is probably the easiest/cheapest.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Dry and modern basement will be fine.

I did get some WWII-era ammo that had been stored loose in an exterior garage, and that stuff had a fair number of hangfires. Eventually broke it down, sold the bullets, fertilized the lawn, and got rid of the steel cases.

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    I store my ammo loose in 2 gallon zip lock bags. I toss a few silica gel packs in, throw the bag in a .30 cal ammo can, and call it a day. No issues whatsoever.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Desiccant is your friend. The cardboard or bandoleer retains moisture. Some considerations:

Stamdard unit = 1oz = 28 grams (customer support from a manufacturer).
    10 grams can cover 1500cc for a volume reference.
    1500 cc apporx 91 cu. inch.
    Fifty cal ammo can 6x7x11.5 = 483 cu. inch empty
    483/91 = 5.3 10 gram packs empty. Industry doesn't consider volume but grams of water at two specific tempuratures as far as I can tell. I can't measure this.

I prep the can for a week to absorb water from the cardboard/bandoleer then replace with fresh with a 3x5 card taped on the outside with info and date packed/opened. I use 20 gram for a 30cal can, 40gm for 50cal and 60gm for a fat50.
    I hope it's enough.

I also bought a Linco ph testing pen. Some cardboard can be acidic. 1990s Lapua for example.

Vapor Control Inhibiter VCI bags/chips are another option. Rated 5 years. I use Zerust. There is a VCI bag that will fit a 50cal ammo can but haven't used them. Bluguard is the brand.
    If you go with buckets or MTM ammo crates consider VCI bags. My MTM ammo cans are not airtight. The metal cans are off the cement on wood.

Last edited:

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I've heard of people storing ammo in the safe, now that it's become so valuable. And safe could have a golden rod etc dehumidifier to keep ammo nice and dry and warm and happy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Define dry for your modern basement?

Do you know the humidity level? Because a modern not wet basement could mean a house built in the 70s or 90s or 2 years ago. Dry could mean no standing water. Or it could mean a vapor barrier in the walls and dehumidifiers with a humidity level under 50%.

Mine is stored in MTM cans or crates off the floor. Nothing else special for the storage. The basement is kept at 55% or below humidity 55% in the summer, glancing over at my remote humidistat right now it is 39%).

Most basements will hover at between 60 and 70% humidity in the summer unless extraordinary steps were taken to vapor proof it during construction or you run a dehumidifier. On the lower end of that if your basement is piped with A/C. On the higher end if it isn’t.

IMHO you ideally want the humidity under 60%. Ideally more like 50%. Don’t want it under 30% though as that can cause wood shrinkage and cracking issues in the long term.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    GREAT lengths were taken during construction, 12" gravel with 3 sets of daylight drain tile, vapor barrier under concrete slab, membrain on ext of concrete walls. Fome insulated house with 2 stage HP to keep humidity low.
    Typ summer humidity is 45 -50% in the house, no higher than 55% in basement.

Define dry for your modern basement?

Do you know the humidity level? Because a modern not wet basement could mean a house built in the 70s or 90s or 2 years ago. Dry could mean no standing water. Or it could mean a vapor barrier in the walls and dehumidifiers with a humidity level under 50%.

Mine is stored in MTM cans or crates off the floor. Nothing else special for the storage. The basement is kept at 55% or below humidity 55% in the summer, glancing over at my remote humidistat right now it is 39%).

Most basements will hover at between 60 and 70% humidity in the summer unless extraordinary steps were taken to vapor proof it during construction or you run a dehumidifier. On the lower end of that if your basement is piped with A/C. On the higher end if it isn’t.

IMHO you ideally want the humidity under 60%. Ideally more like 50%. Don’t want it under 30% though as that can cause wood shrinkage and cracking issues in the long term.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your getting tarnish after only 15-20 years , your storage conditions aren't as good as you think .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    GREAT lengths were taken during construction, 12" gravel with 3 sets of daylight drain tile, vapor barrier under concrete slab, membrain on ext of concrete walls. Fome insulated house with 2 stage HP to keep humidity low.
    Typ summer humidity is 45 -50% in the house, no higher than 55% in basement.

Do you have a separate, and good, humidistat to verify? Or is that what your thermostat is telling you? The later I’ve found to generally not be very accurate.

Also what is the humidity where you are storing the ammo? Is it off the floor?

One thing to point out is that the closer to the floor, the higher the relative humidity. If sitting on the floor (concrete slab, carpet or wood) it’ll be even cooler and higher relative humidity.

Granted my ceilings are high, but a typical summer time temp is about 77F near the ceiling in my basement (no A/C down there. I keep the upstairs at 79F). 76F at the height of the thermostat. It’s about 74F right near the floor and the floor measures typically at 70-72F for the concrete slab itself.

So what could be 55% near the thermostat might be more like 65% RH on the slab.

The importance of keeping your stuff thermally insulated from the floor (safe or Ammo).

My 55% is in my gun room on my bench. Same as measured in several spots of my basement near the floor. Safe is sitting on 1/4” foam board and anchored to the floor with a rechargeable desiccant pack designed for a small room in there. Humidity ranges from 52-53% in it measured near the floor (humidistat is sitting on a shelf up higher).

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I changed the desiccant ratio 483/91 area coverage to 5.3 10 gram packs instead of ounces for an empty 50cal ammo can. Wrong measurement name.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If your getting tarnish after only 15-20 years , your storage conditions aren't as good as you think .

Does exterior tarnish have any effect on the powder or primer? I'd imagine with milsurp stuff that has sealed primers, exterior tarnish shouldn't play too much of a factor unless it's flaking or has a residue, in terms of a semi auto feeding correctly. I've only shot 60's era 7.62 that was pretty badly tarnished and it all worked well. I wiped it down with a cloth and remoil before though. If I was storing factory new ammo now I'm not that worried about what will happen in 50 years since I will be gone.

Ed Anger

Jan 16, 2021
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I put mine in a rubbermaid bin with an opened bag of rice. Can anyone tell me whether this is smart or dumb? Obviously I'd like to preserve it as long as possible.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'd like to find a storage solution that would allow me to make use of an uncontrolled crawl space. The crawl space is always dry (as in flooding) but is exposed to outside humidity and temperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom