• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Anyone going out tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday, for the winter turkey season?
    I might seek out of work Friday a little early. Me and my son are definitely going out Saturday morning. If nothing else, hopefully Friday evening we can find a good roosting tree, to help with Saturday’s hunt.
    This time of year, the turkeys are usually in big groups, makes for an interesting hunt.

Good luck to anyone going out!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Saturday morning. Been watching gobblers roost near my tree stand while sitting with a bow and run across the access trail every morning. I may sit in the turkey chair with the 10ga at first light

I expect the turkeys to change routine and a many deer to walk past me. ;)

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Saturday morning. Been watching gobblers roost near my tree stand while sitting with a bow and run across the access trail every morning. I may sit in the turkey chair with the 10ga at first light

I expect the turkeys to change routine and a many deer to walk past me. ;)

I will also most likely have a monster buck walk right by me, and not a turkey to be found. Lol, that’s the way it always is. I’m just going out for a few hours Saturday morning. As long as it isn’t windy I’m going goose hunting that evening. Great way to spend a Saturday!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Will be out Saturday morning. Curious to see what stupid fox tricks that I'll see this year. In both of the last two winter seasons, I had an oblivious red fox practically try to get into the blind with me. Probably a coincidence. It's never happened during deer season, only winter turkey. Not sure how they got a reputation for being crafty.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Wish we were allowed to hunt them on our lease....

Attachments

• F533BFFD-1D1A-4758-8FF4-B5B8760E5AB6.jpeg
      F533BFFD-1D1A-4758-8FF4-B5B8760E5AB6.jpeg
      45.5 KB · Views: 206
    Anyone going out tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday, for the winter turkey season?
    I might seek out of work Friday a little early. Me and my son are definitely going out Saturday morning. If nothing else, hopefully Friday evening we can find a good roosting tree, to help with Saturday’s hunt.
    This time of year, the turkeys are usually in big groups, makes for an interesting hunt.

Good luck to anyone going out!

So stupid hunting question from someone who's never been and never lived on big enough land to just go out into the yard... How do you find places to hunt?
    Do you just have to know someone with land Can you just go in certain parks? All of the above?

I guess I've just never been to a big enough park overlapping with hunting season to hear any shots or see warning signs. The "how" aside, the "where" has always been a mystery to me. I've always been curious about hunting and may try it some day so I know how to do it if I really NEED to.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    So stupid hunting question from someone who's never been and never lived on big enough land to just go out into the yard... How do you find places to hunt?
    Do you just have to know someone with land Can you just go in certain parks? All of the above?

I guess I've just never been to a big enough park overlapping with hunting season to hear any shots or see warning signs. The "how" aside, the "where" has always been a mystery to me. I've always been curious about hunting and may try it some day so I know how to do it if I really NEED to.

Public hunting lands are listed on the DNR website. A good number of state parks have designated hunting land - usually well marked along trails and other access points. Private Land, you're good if the owner or have the owner's permission.

Some DNR info, if interested (not exhaustive):
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/allbyregion.aspx

Edit: I just re-read the last sentences. The "how" is just as important. If you're thinking that you may want to randomly go hunting one day, take the hunter's safety course in advance if you already haven't. You'll need it in order to get a hunting license. A valid license is a requirement for hunting on public land and for hunting on someone else's land (with permission). Doing so without one could prove quite costly.

Public hunting lands are listed on the DNR website. A good number of state parks have designated hunting land - usually well marked along trails and other access points. Private Land, you're good if the owner or have the owner's permission.

Some DNR info, if interested (not exhaustive):
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/allbyregion.aspx

This is excellent, thank you! It's funny, I've seen signs for Wildlife Management Areas out on my rides but never knew that it meant hunting areas. I just thought it was another big pretty park!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Did anyone bag any birds? My only window was Saturday morning and I ended up taking a pass due to the high winds.

One of the youngins had a buddy out at one the properties. Young man grassed a Tom, first successful hunt for him as far as I know.
    They were all fired up going on about it but I didn't see any pictures or anything.

Where I hunted on those extra rifle days there was big flock off hens scratching around out in the field for a while but I didn't go out.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    One of the youngins had a buddy out at one the properties. Young man grassed a Tom, first successful hunt for him as far as I know.
    They were all fired up going on about it but I didn't see any pictures or anything.

Where I hunted on those extra rifle days there was big flock off hens scratching around out in the field for a while but I didn't go out.

Congrats to that young man! Very good to hear that someone met up with a measure of success.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Good for him . Took my grandson and it was cold and windy. Came across 1 flock , short version and end of story we where in truck and they where on private property .

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Did anyone bag any birds? My only window was Saturday morning and I ended up taking a pass due to the high winds.

Myself and my son went out Saturday morning. Couldn’t locate a bird, or even hear any. We stayed out till about 10:00 am. It was cold and windy.

Went out that evening to goose hunt, once again we got skunked!

Oh well, I could think of worse ways to waste a Saturday.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I still have my scope on from Deer season, zeroed in for 50yds with a slug. Should I switch over to my red dot for Turkey season or stay with the scope on my 12 gauge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom