• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It's nice to know there's still a CZ 75 derivative that has the power to surprise. I figured this pistol would be a lot like it's sibling, the 75D Compact PCR but, to me, after shooting the all-steel 75 Compact a couple of times, about the only thing they have in-common is a similar roll mark on the slide.

I wouldn't have thought that an extra 3.3oz of weight would make that big of a difference but, in terms of shootability, the 75 Compact feels a lot more like a full-size CZ 75B than either a PCR or a P-01. It was more enjoyable than anticipated. The 75 Compact's all steel-construction really soaks-up what little bit of recoil there is from 9x19 and makes fast, accurate follow-up shots easy with practice. It's like this thing was made to double-tap a target. The trigger is typical-CZ with a fairly long take-up and short reset but, the difference between how it feels compared to the PCR and P-01 is almost like night and day. If your only experience with a CZ's trigger is on one of their models equipped with a decocker (vs. a thumb safety) you'll find the difference to be significant. The reduction in creep prior to break is noticeably improved. Where I have to concentrate and make an effort to work the trigger on my PCR, the 75 Compact is almost a no-brainer. It feels just like my full-size 75B and it's one of the best all-around 9mm pistols I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Nice. If that is Heritage, careful. Gun looks to be set on the table past the allowable 1.55' arc.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice. Now I have another thing I want...

There's some pretty good buys on them right now. They're all over GB for $450-480. I don't know what that would add-up-to in your neck of the woods with shipping + FFL transfer but I got that one from Dan at BBP for under $500 which I thought was pretty good. I burned Hilton Honors points on Amazon to get the VZ grips. Mag pads and guide rod were an additional $40 + $8 shipping from Cajun Gun Works.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That's nice. My 75B is lonely for a little friend like this one.

Go see Dan, Joel or John at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Or send him a PM for price and availability first.

You're shooting way too fast. LOL

Yeah, I knew that wouldn't escape your notice but, I tend to shoot fast when doing double-tap drills. First shot is more or less on the mark; second shot I'm consistently low and left but, I managed to do it right a couple of times without really understanding what I did differently. It's not something I tend to practice as much as I probably should.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    How do you count the "doubles" when there's a spread of 40 shots? LOL

Well, FML, I know it's not the best example but, you should be able to get the jist of what I was doing (wrong) by looking at the consistency in POI. I'd drill the first shot, jerk the second low left. I want to blame it on trigger finger placement...and you not being there to berate me mercilessly.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Been debating this vs a PCR. Good writeup

Besides an alloy frame, you get a couple of things on the PCR that you don't get on the Compact which is probably why PCR's sell for slightly more.

PCR has the low-profile Novak-type rear sight, a loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide, serrated CZ-85 Combat trigger and the all-important, Blaster229-approved lanyard ring on the butt of the mag well to help prevent those unfortunate boating accidents.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, FML, I know it's not the best example but, you should be able to get the jist of what I was doing (wrong) by looking at the consistency in POI. I'd drill the first shot, jerk the second low left. I want to blame it on trigger finger placement.
    There's a difference between a double tap and a controlled pair.

A double tap is two shots done with 1 sight picture using a strong ass iron grip.
    Sight picture, press, press, reset.

A controlled pair is sight picture, press, reset, press, reset.

Many think they are double tapping when they really aren't doing neither.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    There's a difference between a double tap and a controlled pair.

A double tap is two shots done with 1 sight picture using a strong ass iron grip.
    Sight picture, press, press, reset.

A controlled pair is sight picture, press, reset, press, reset.

Many think they are double tapping when they really aren't doing neither.

Definitely more of a controlled pair in my case.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Besides an alloy frame, you get a couple of things on the PCR that you don't get on the Compact which is probably why PCR's sell for slightly more.

PCR has the low-profile Novak-type rear sight, a loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide, serrated CZ-85 Combat trigger and the all-important, Blaster229-approved lanyard ring on the butt of the mag well to help prevent those unfortunate boating accidents.

I agree. I don’t feel much recoil with my PCR even with +P. The PCR is built with carrying in mind and is easier to carry than the compact, though both are a little heavy. The sights are supposed to be “snag-free”. IMHO if you want to use as a range gun, why not get a full size 75B or SP-01. If you plan to carry it, I’d go with the PCR. YMMV.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I had to think about it but despite owning a P-01 and SP-01, and having shot several other CZ models, I have yet to shoot the Compact. Given I work at BBP, I have them staring at me all day long. This might be my next buy instead of a PCR. Nice break in!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom