• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've built one lower but this will be my first upper. sure i forgot something or a mis-match or there are better alternatives. this will just be a 3 gun backup rifle that i am building a) just to do it and learn how to build one and b) just in case any of those evil black gun bans come to fruition.

Mega upper and 14" extended rifle length keymod rail, 1.6" ID, MKM520HA
    Criterion 18" hybrid barrel, .223 Wylde, rifle length gas .750
    Seekins low profile adj gas block 11510031 .750od
    Brownell's rifle length melonited gas tube
    DPMS GAS TUBE ROLL PIN
    JP low mass bcg JPBC3SPA
    JP comp JPTRE512S875
    BCM gunfighter small charging handle

Mega lower gtr-3h
    JP low mass recoil buffer JPLMB
    JP tuned buffer spring, rifle JPSOSR
    DPMS lower parts kit (excl trigger, grip) 60705
    Seekins ambi safety 11580012
    Seekins enhanced bolt catch 011510057
    Brownell's CTR STOCK ASSY COLLAPSIBLE MIL-SPEC
    Hogue overmolded beavertail grip 15023
    Timney trigger

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    To me looks like you're missing buffer tube, end plate, and nut.

Nice quality setup you got.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I would suggest taking the build class from the School of The American Rifle ( https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=188191).

In that class you will have access to gauges to inspect all of your rifle components prior to assembly, but more importantly someone to show you how to use them and interpret the results. Anything out of spec can be corrected on the spot so you won't have to head to the range and wonder if the rifle will work or not or blow up.

In the class that I took, one student purchased a high end Noveske bolt and barrel combo that was supposed to be already head spaced checked, but we found out that wasn't the case when we gauged it; too tight. It was fixed during the class.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Let me know if you would like me to look at it. I’m no Chad but I did attend his class :D

Along with taking Chad's course, I can also recommend rouchna to take a look. He's close to you, has assembled many ARs, and I will verify his completion of Chad's course with flying colors. He's also a nice as heck guy!

He gets my five thumbs up.

Take it from a creepy ass clown.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Along with taking Chad's course, I can also recommend rouchna to take a look. He's close to you, has assembled many ARs, and I will verify his completion of Chad's course with flying colors. He's also a nice as heck guy!

He gets my five thumbs up.

Take it from a creepy ass clown.

Why thank you Sir:thumbsup: You and your 5 thumbs are good people as well :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Outrider and Rouchna can certainly assist.

I would advise you to skip that adjustable gas block. They are turds in my experience.

Get an SLR Adjustable.

There are more reliable triggers from Geissele for this application than a Timney

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Outrider and Rouchna can certainly assist.

I would advise you to skip that adjustable gas block. They are turds in my experience.

Get an SLR Adjustable.

There are more reliable triggers from Geissele for this application than a Timney

will prob shout out to rouchna since he looks to be a fellow loudounite when i'm ready to put this all together. very nice offer!

ok, will check out SLR, any preference between set screw and clamp-on (the barrel does have a dimple).

yeah i love my geissele's, but "won" this timney so will give it a try.

super thanks to all for input and assistance!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    will prob shout out to rouchna since he looks to be a fellow loudounite when i'm ready to put this all together. very nice offer!

ok, will check out SLR, any preference between set screw and clamp-on (the barrel does have a dimple).

yeah i love my geissele's, but "won" this timney so will give it a try.

super thanks to all for input and assistance!

Glad to offer some help. My friends have carried the torch before I even popped in. :)

Clamp On is less durable but stresses the barrel less than set screws or pinned gas blocks. Less Stress means it's more conductive to accuracy.

Clamp on is best when it's shielded by a floating handguard, in your case it is. It also seals against blthe barrel better than set screw, so less gas bleeding.

Optimum Accuracy = Clamp On

Balanced between Durability and Accuracy = Set Screw

Optimum Durability = Pinned

I would advise to buy the .750 Clamp On for your rail and application, and Rocksett the clamping bolts. Follow the IN# torque instructions and don't under or over tighten.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Glad to offer some help. My friends have carried the torch before I even popped in. :)

Clamp On is less durable but stresses the barrel less than set screws or pinned gas blocks. Less Stress means it's more conductive to accuracy.

Clamp on is best when it's shielded by a floating handguard, in your case it is. It also seals against blthe barrel better than set screw, so less gas bleeding.

Optimum Accuracy = Clamp On

Balanced between Durability and Accuracy = Set Screw

Optimum Durability = Pinned

I would advise to buy the .750 Clamp On for your rail and application, and Rocksett the clamping bolts. Follow the IN# torque instructions and don't under or over tighten.

Chad couldn't he but a light stake on the clamp on bolts if they are recessed into the gas block. I know when I did my set screw one that I dimpled with a jig I lightly staked the set screws as opposed to "locking" the threads with a chemical.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I would choose another barrel. I don't think the one you selected is MD-compliant. It lists the profile as "Hybrid", one of the benefits being that it is lighter than an HBAR. To me, says that its not an HBAR. Look for something specifically stamped "Heavy" or HBAR by the manufacturer. Everything else looks good, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom