• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Right now, whatever kit you can find that is reasonably priced. Ideally I would suggest a turret press. I have a single stage and wish u had a turret instead since it’s convenient. I have a lee that I started on. I have a Dillon 550 for higher volume (would suggest a 650 or 750 tho).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I started with the Lee Challenger Anniversary kit, and I loaded a lot of great ammo with that setup before I got tired of how slow single stage loading can be. But, it will get you where you want to go.

With that said, in hindsight I probably should have gotten either the RCBS Rock Chucker kit, or the Hornady LNL single stage kit - the presses themselves are a bit more robust than the Lee, and the rest of the kit is higher quality.

Also, budget for a vibratory tumbler too - you're going to want that.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't really recommend getting a kit because when I first started I got the RCBS kit and a short time later had replaced everything except the press because most of the stuff could be done better by other tools or components.

For instance, they include case lube and a lube pad. You roll several cases at a time on a pad you cover with lube and you have the possibility of over-lubing cases and causing a dent when you go to size the case (cue the guy that says this never happened to him).

Instead I use lanolin-based spray-on lube. You put all the cases on a cookie sheet (stolen from the spouse per package directions (not kidding)) spray them all at once, shake to roll them and repeat. Done.

Same with the primer tube priming system. I found it much better to use a hand priming tool. Much less chance of getting a primer backwards and I can tell immediately if I didn't seat the primer deep enough.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I started with the rock chucker kit, been really happy with it all I changed was used hornady spray lube instead of pad. If i remember correctly I am nearing 5000 rounds reloaded off it.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have Hornaday system single stage, I have all the time in the world, not about speed, it is about accuracy. When filling a large amount of shells with powder get your self a good powder dump. Get one that has a micro powder adjustment 0-15 grains and a large adjustment for 15 + grains. A good digital scale it is the most important thing you need, you do not have to pay lots of money there are several on the market between 100 to 200 dollars. A goof micrometer is a must, I do not like digital ones you drop then and they break plus they need batteries. I have a mechanical micrometer that I have had for 40 years you can calibrate it. A good set of dies are a must, I buy matched set dies, dies are like buying cars everyone has an opinion. You will need reloading manuals or GOOGLE lots of stuff to read before you start reloading. When I started reloading there were no computers books were the only way to learn or help form some one who has been doing it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have Hornaday system single stage, I have all the time in the world, not about speed, it is about accuracy. When filling a large amount of shells with powder get your self a good powder dump. Get one that has a micro powder adjustment 0-15 grains and a large adjustment for 15 + grains. A good digital scale it is the most important thing you need, you do not have to pay lots of money there are several on the market between 100 to 200 dollars. A goof micrometer is a must, I do not like digital ones you drop then and they break plus they need batteries. I have a mechanical micrometer that I have had for 40 years you can calibrate it. A good set of dies are a must, I buy matched set dies, dies are like buying cars everyone has an opinion. You will need reloading manuals or GOOGLE lots of stuff to read before you start reloading. When I started reloading there were no computers books were the only way to learn or help form some one who has been doing it.
    Some agreement there, some disagreement. I think it depends on what you load.

I use a digital caliper. Why? Because they are quick, easy, reasonably accurate for the task, cheap, and easy to come by. In 12 years I've had 2 sets. When this one stops working I'll go to Harbor Freight and get another set.

I agree about having a good powder drop, but I'm not sure that a micrometer adjustment is necessary. For the pistol loading I do with the powders I use, having a variance of 1-2 tenths if a grain is acceptable. If I need it to be better than that, I can always use a scale and trickle up.

Scale - I have a Frankford Arsenal digital scale, $30 on Amazon - to date it's been quite reliable and accurate, but if I was ever felt I needed more accuracy, I'd use a good beam scale.

I tend to agree with you on the dies, although I like to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Everyone has their preferences and I don't think their is any really right or wrong, with the exception of making sure you are reasonably accurate based on the manuals you are using.

I think everyone should have at least two good manuals for reference, although that can get confusing because often times they won't match - in the loading I've done they're are some discrepancies between my Lee and Lyman manuals.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I kinda figured some of the advice would be all over the place. Is anyone for buying handful of basic equipment by the piece and what would you need for the basics? I have Lyman's 50th Edition Reloading book on the way.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a press in stock that’s not a kit. It seems the individual presses sell out faster because people are buying a second or third press and don’t need the other items. Honestly any kit you can find is a good starting point. Will everything be perfect and exactly what you want? Probably not, but it will be good enough for you to start. Maybe your kit comes with a beam scale but you really want a digital one, use the beam and upgrade when you can. You might find you enjoy using the beam scale. Maybe the powder measure sucks, you’ll know to prioritize its replacement.

As others have said manuals are a good resource you will want to have. The big name bullet manufacturers have books for their bullets as do most press manufacturers. Powder companies also typically have load data on their website.

Nosler just put out a brand new manual this past week that has their most up to date info.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Don’t be afraid to get a Lee kit - it’s not the most well made stuff, but it’s less expensive than kits from RCBS or Hornady, and it will more than get the job done.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I don't really recommend getting a kit because when I first started I got the RCBS kit and a short time later had replaced everything except the press because most of the stuff could be done better by other tools or components.

For instance, they include case lube and a lube pad. You roll several cases at a time on a pad you cover with lube and you have the possibility of over-lubing cases and causing a dent when you go to size the case (cue the guy that says this never happened to him).

Instead I use lanolin-based spray-on lube. You put all the cases on a cookie sheet (stolen from the spouse per package directions (not kidding)) spray them all at once, shake to roll them and repeat. Done.

Same with the primer tube priming system. I found it much better to use a hand priming tool. Much less chance of getting a primer backwards and I can tell immediately if I didn't seat the primer deep enough.

I started reloading over a period of time using 3 different friends setups.
    when I got my own setup, this is what I got.

Lyman T-Mag 6-Station Turret Press Reloading Kit

Here is just the press on eBay for a good price ($60), but the shipping is another 50% of the cost, but it does weigh a lot, and you could pick up everything else you need piecemeal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/lyman-t-ma...178676?hash=item3ff0941eb4:g:We4AAOSwonZf3o8E

I agree with K31, that there are things included in the kits, that I never used, like the Lube Pad & the primer tube set up, I used spray lube & a Lee Auto Prime instead, all of the rest of the items in the kit, I still use. The only major items that I have added is an RCBS digital scale and auto powder dispenser set up and a tumbler.

Right now it looks like most kits are out off stock or way over priced.
    I would look for deals on eBay or Craigslist, I I was just getting staring right now. Primers are scarce right now and expensive, all of the rest of the components are somewhat available if you look for them.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    wb3jma

What/why are you reloading? What calibers/cartridges and what is your goal? What is your approximate budget?
    Reloading .223 or 9mm for "blasting ammo" is very different than loading 6.5CM for 600 yard precision, and the selection of equipment would be quite different.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

While I agree, and experienced the same thing (bought the kit and replaced or never used most of it), it is easier for a newbie to buy the kit to start.

Normally, you could hit one place and buy all the things you need separately. But now, you would be ordering from a number of sources.

But another thing with some of the kits, some of the items are not the best. The basic Lee scale is marginal.

I recommend a good single stage to start. No matter where you go, a good single stage it good to have on the bench.

I primarily load on a Dillon 650, but for precision rifle rounds, and load workups, or small batches, I use a Lyman single stage.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I can't believe it took so long for someone to ask what you wanted to reload. I'm a handgun only guy and my first and only press is a Dillon Square Deal. Have reloaded thousands of rounds, never second guessed or regretted buying the Square Deal. I haven't been shooting/reloading in a while, but looking around for components recently, I have to wonder why anyone would want to start reloading just now. If while ammo is in short supply, components were still available, it would be an ideal time to start reloading. But components seem to be in as short or shorter supply than ammo.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I can't believe it took so long for someone to ask what you wanted to reload. I'm a handgun only guy and my first and only press is a Dillon Square Deal. Have reloaded thousands of rounds, never second guessed or regretted buying the Square Deal. I haven't been shooting/reloading in a while, but looking around for components recently, I have to wonder why anyone would want to start reloading just now. If while ammo is in short supply, components were still available, it would be an ideal time to start reloading. But components seem to be in as short or shorter supply than ammo.

If you are sourcing components for say 223 or 9mm you can load for .30-.50/rd but if you try to buy ammo it’s .65-1/rd. So although not ideal time, you can still save money in these times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County

.357 Mag, 38 spl, .270 Win. The handgun calibers are actually for a lever action rifle so I would wnat to load hotter than the average factory load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom