• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That was the thing back when I had atv's , no place to use them (legally) , other than driving in circles behind the house . ( Yes, there are " traditional use dirt bike areas ", but they are technically tresspassing, and I'm not in a position I am willing to risk getting busted in occasional crackdown , and I rarely , read never, was in a position to dedicate an entire weekend to trailer to a destination motor park/ trail system .)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Understood. Federal Park Rangers these parts are not to be trifled with!

I guess I have time, after I get a utility for use around the property, to decide if a legal, dedicated 34-mile trail system warrants me investing in a sole-use quad ...

I certainly have much to learn ...

Can anyone comment on the reliability / DIY-maintenance-friendliness of the current Yamaha Wolverines?

I am getting ready (as in starting this morning) to winterize a ‘18 Yamaha VXR, a ‘19 SeaDoo TRixx and a ‘19 Kawasaki SXR - 1500 and, out of those 3, HANDS DOWN THE EASIEST and most KISS to work on and maintain is the Yamaha. And, it’s proven 1.8 naturally aspirated power block really is the definition of “bulletproof.”

Guess I’m looking for the same thing only with 2 seats, a cargo area and high rise suspension 4-wheels

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My bad. Hey! I remember that and we finally made it there, last month. What a massive install; and, pretty cool place (and we were a group of all adults!)

I don’t know how this place compares with the PA mountain which Stoveman, AOB and all the others hit in the OP but, it is figuratively a stones throw from where I am seated typing this. But, IT IS THE ONLY PUBLIC place within reasonable trailering distance so, unless I find someplace private to ride ... sort of a double edged sword ...
    http://www.atvtrails.org/Carolina_ATVtrails/Brownmountain.html

The Admiral wisely counsels, “Get whatever you want to go up there and “catch air” (and she “may” get into this also) but, seriously, check off our need for a utility (carry 2 persons and cargo (fuel cans up/down steep, BRUSH COVERED hill and snow), FIRST - - please!

I am getting kind of stoked and, years from now, I will be able to point my grandkids BACK TO THIS THREAD for lighting this fire

Thanks a LOT, Stoveman!!!! 2:
    Check out the Hatfield McCoy trail systems in southern WV. Definitely worth trailering up and spending a few days. And you can legally ride on the road in WV.

After you unload the only reason to get back in your tow vehicle is because you want to. Need gas/ice/adult beverages? Hop on your ATV and ride into town.

We stay a lot in Northfork and ride the Indian Ridge, Pocahontas and Pinnacle Creek trail systems.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Dayum ... I’d heard about Hatfield McCoy from one of the other skeet shooters at Sanners. (He disappeared, literally vanished, and when he reappeared it had turned out he and his bride got into off reading in a BIG way!). Ha-ha, little did I know then ... ! :innocent0

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah hatfield mccoy has like 6 different trail systems, some interconnected, def a good place to hit for a 3 day weekend or longer.

we did that st johns rock out in/near savage river state forest a month or so ago. i think it's like 10 miles out and back + some side trails. i just did the main trails, def wide enough for sxs, could go pretty fast on dirt bikes. i was breaking in my sxs (see below) and then had too much fun on my bil's ktm 450xcf.

i rode some ohv trails today out near meeker colorado on my new honda pioneer 700 sxs. holy crap were these rocky, bounced all over the place, think my ass is chapped! major elevation change, switchbacks and some real steep ascents/descents.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I rented a house down the bottom of WV for a week three years in a row. Had a different group of friends for the two weekends (9day rental). There are more places to ride on coal mine lands than there are on the actual Hatfield trails. And I proved that to many. I had the first Honda 450R (go fast) delivered to our area and the 500 foreman. Between following a hired trail guide then as a trail guide I did 350 miles each of those weeks. Funny as we were neighbors with Glen Campbell, he also had a house in Davidsonville years ago and we were neighbors then as well.
    Yeah, I’m in on the Hat Mc trip.
    I can bring a horse for Squaregrouper. :)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I rented a house down the bottom of WV for a week three years in a row. Had a different group of friends for the two weekends (9day rental). There are more places to ride on coal mine lands than there are on the actual Hatfield trails. And I proved that to many. I had the first Honda 450R (go fast) delivered to our area and the 500 foreman. Between following a hired trail guide then as a trail guide I did 350 miles each of those weeks. Funny as we were neighbors with Glen Campbell, he also had a house in Davidsonville years ago and we were neighbors then as well.
    Yeah, I’m in on the Hat Mc trip.
    I can bring a horse for Squaregrouper. :)

We were planning a trip down there next spring, either the last week of April or the first week in May. Staying at Ashland Resort. http://www.atvresort.com/

I'll put an event thread for it up when I need to reserve cabins.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    We were planning a trip down there next spring, either the last week of April or the first week in May. Staying at Ashland Resort. http://www.atvresort.com/

I'll put an event thread for it up when I need to reserve cabins.
    We are down. Sorry we missed the last one and screwed up the dates on the other. On the good side, Wv had not gotten much rain and the guys had to ride 5 minutes apart due to the amount of dust.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Geez, no need to go to any extreme like that is there?

I mean, I’m SURE one of has a sister or girlfriend who’d like to meet him? :lol::lol2: :lol::lol2:

JK, man !!!!!

No, most of our mares are very high maintenance, mud and a campfire won’t work. Don’t ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom