• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So this week I thawed out 14 pounds of deer roasts and two hearts. Sliced the roasts to make jerky yesterday and cooked and pickled the hearts.

Pickled hearts have to sit for a week or more. First time trying it and jerky starts dehydrating Monday. I need better trays to use the smokehouse

Attachments

• 476A8335-0471-488A-B1EA-8B50A4AACCB4.jpg
      476A8335-0471-488A-B1EA-8B50A4AACCB4.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 654
    • 8E900183-2892-42FD-A076-9F2D416A9D54.jpg
      8E900183-2892-42FD-A076-9F2D416A9D54.jpg
      129.6 KB · Views: 640

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Do you have a recipe for the pickled hearts? Perhaps sous verde'ing em before pickling would tenderize them.

I can't tell if you used a wet marinade for the jerky from the pic. If you did, you might want to vacuum seal the jerky meat in a canister or a vac bag. The marinade really permeates the meat using a vac packer. My daughter insists on a 48 hour marination interval.

Thanks.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I boiled, simmered, the hearts (2) after cutting in half and trimming for two hours. It seemed tender enough, but cook how ever pleases you.

Then sliced into thin strips before being combined with layers of meat and onion, 1 tsp salt in the big one and 1/2in the small one. Then covered with a boiled broth of 1 cup water (stock) and 2 cups apple cider vinegar and two chopped garlic cloves, Plus 1 Tbsp of pickling spices. I cooked the heart with 1 Tbsp of pickling spices because my wife complains about the smell of deer cooking. Pickling spice smell filled the house. It is also amazing how much of a smell hot apple cider vinegar puts out.

both jars sealed and I put them just a few minutes ago into the fridge to chill until this corona epidemic is over and my buddy and me and taste them with a bunch of man sodas.

I am trying to find more and more things to use all the deer. I thought one about saving intestines as sheep casings are so expensive for breakfast sausages. I almost slapped myself after I realized the level of work that would entail.

Last edited:

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I am trying to find more and more things to use all the deer. I thought one about saving intestines as sheep casings are so expensive for breakfast sausages. I almost slapped myself after I realized the level of work that would entail.
    The caul fat from inside the stomach area is pretty good and makes an excellent self basting wrap for whatever meats you want. Last year was the first time I pulled the tongue from my deer and I made some tacos with it following some Mexican recipes for beef tongue tacos and it was very good as well. I'll have to try your pickled heart recipe. I always eat the heart but mainly just to not be wasteful. I definitely have not found a recipe that I'm in love with.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm all for caul fat but I think I'd rather try it from elk. I just can't eat deer fat. I am rendering it for black powder lube and want to try it for candles. But eating it, I can't. I rendered some this winter. I saved the fat and had some fatty flanks I wanted to render and save the meaty chunks for dog treats. I fried the good stuff first. One had nice 1/4" slice of meat and I was like "Oh, that looks good dog. One for you and one for me." Next it felt like some one Crisco'd the roof of my mouth. I said "Damn, now I remember why I don't eat deer fat. Dog, they are all yours!"

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I boiled, simmered, the hearts (2) after cutting in half and trimming for two hours. It seemed tender enough, but cook how ever pleases you.

Then sliced into thin strips before being combined with layers of meat and onion, 1 tsp salt in the big one and 1/2in the small one. Then covered with a boiled broth of 1 cup water (stock) and 2 cups apple cider vinegar and two chopped garlic cloves, Plus 1 Tbsp of pickling spices. I cooked the heart with 1 Tbsp of pickling spices because my wife complains about the smell of deer cooking. Pickling spice smell filled the house. It is also amazing how much of a smell hot apple cider vinegar puts out.

both jars sealed and I put them just a few minutes ago into the fridge to chill until this corona epidemic is over and my buddy and me and taste them with a but of man sodas.

Thanks. I'll try this.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    You better learn how to eat strange things for SHTF! :lol2:

Working from home, my 'office' window looks out over a marsh. About 4PM, little muskrat subs start motoring all around it. Muskrat went out of season on the 15th of March. But I am definitely going to make some floats for next year and see how they taste (I've always heard they are excellent)....

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The caul fat from inside the stomach area is pretty good and makes an excellent self basting wrap for whatever meats you want. Last year was the first time I pulled the tongue from my deer and I made some tacos with it following some Mexican recipes for beef tongue tacos and it was very good as well. I'll have to try your pickled heart recipe. I always eat the heart but mainly just to not be wasteful. I definitely have not found a recipe that I'm in love with.

I trim the heart good, cut into large chunks and marinade in red wine vinegar and crushed garlic for an hour or two. Grill rare and enjoy. Best way I've found so far, love it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've got 2 coons in the freezer. Thinking of doing a coon curry this weekend.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've got 2 coons in the freezer. Thinking of doing a coon curry this weekend.

April issue of Fur, Fish, and Game has an article on raccoon bratwurst. Recipe included. Author gave it a thumbs up.

Gotta say raccoon would be just about last on my list behind yote's and grinners.

Tell us about the curry. Hope it doesn't kill you before the wuhan!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    April issue of Fur, Fish, and Game has an article on raccoon bratwurst. Recipe included. Author gave it a thumbs up.

Gotta say raccoon would be just about last on my list behind yote's and grinners.

Tell us about the curry. Hope it doesn't kill you before the wuhan!

Raccoon is delicious. One of my favorites. I'll have to look up the bratwurst recipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom