• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    OK, trying to be optimistic here by opening registrations for the April 4th Steel Challenge Match. IDPA and 3 Gun will follow in a week or so. My guess is that we will have to cancel all of these, but our hope is that something will change and we can all sling some lead.

https://practiscore.com/agc-steel-challenge-saturday-april-4-2020/register

Depending on the circumstances, we may need to change some things between now and then. As for now, lets just register as if nothing has happened and we will play it by ear.

As we continue to evolve, we are making changes/improvements based on need and feedback from all of you. Here are few of the changes that we are going to put into place for the April match.

1. Match Name - AGC "Outlaw" Steel Challenge Match

2. Added Divisions - The divisions now match the SCSA rulebook. It may seem a bit much, but whatever. If you don't care about your score or are not inclined to read through the rules to determine what division you should be in, then simply choose the Open Division
    The 12 divisions we now have are as follows
    -Open
    -Limited
    -Production
    -Single Stack
    -Revolver
    -Carry Optics
    -Rimfire Pistol Iron
    -Rimfire Pistol Open
    -Rimfire Rifle Iron
    -Rimfire Rifle Open
    -Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron
    -Pistol Caliber Carbine Open

3. Added an MDS Username declaration on the registration page

4. Eliminated the 50% discount on a shooters 2nd gun - This is to ensure that we can accommodate as many individual shooters as possible, while still allowing those who really want to shoot two guns to do so. We'll see how this goes and may revert to the old policy when the weather starts to turn cold again

5. Most importantly, I added this disclaimer to the Registration page and on the welcome email

Disclaimer:
    This is a fun/unsanctioned match. Our program is still in it's infancy, we learn something new about how to make things better each month, and we are still trying to figure out what we want to be when we grow up. As such, we always welcome constructive criticisms and/or suggestions.

All of that said, at the Match Directors discretion, there may be a few local exceptions/deviations from the SCSA rule set (ie. maximum magazine load out will not be enforced). If you are the type that this will bother, will be a problem for, or will cause you to criticize/condemn/complain incessantly, then please consider finding another match to shoot in.

There is a ton of work that goes into putting on these matches and we receive a great deal of positive feedback on our progress (which is appreciated). We are committed to making this match the best it can be for as many shooters as possible and will always do our best to exceed the expectations of the majority.

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback. This won't be the end of the changes we make, but I think it is a step in the right direction.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am merely looking at the data from other countries. Obviously one cannot predict when we are on the other side and they lift the lockdown, but I'd give odds on mid to late April based on the data.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Me and the Mrs signed up and squadded up, because we are optimistic romantics at heart. All this takes is a little imagination!

Attachments

• masked_steel.jpg
      masked_steel.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 314

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Guess you cannot reschedule to mid to late April. Apr 4th is dicey. 90% chance we are still in lockdown.

Having a back up plan to reschedule for the last Saturday (Delta shoots steel on the last Sunday) might not be a bad idea. Everyone that signed up for the match is in, those that have to drop out if the date moves don't get the MEGARMS stink eye (this time).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Having a back up plan to reschedule for the last Saturday (Delta shoots steel on the last Sunday) might not be a bad idea. Everyone that signed up for the match is in, those that have to drop out if the date moves don't get the MEGARMS stink eye (this time).

We will play it by ear. Scheduling of the bays plays a big role in this. Not too mention, we would be having a steel challenge match the following weekend. We do not need that many pissed off wives, but we will see. They may want us out of the house after a month of this.

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Are you just overly optimistic or do you have a direct line to God? :innocent0

I am actually a pretty big pessimist and this situation is no exception. That said, don't want to be caught with my pants down when Trump addresses the nation this Wednesday and announces that he has come up with a cure and a vaccine and that we can all go back to our normal lives by April 4th.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I saw in the other thread that this is a no-go. Bummer...but not surprising. It's good (I guess) to see the rules and divisions. I had a question though :o...I normally try not to be a trouble maker at all, and just be happy to shoot...but since we aren't shooting, we'll have plenty of time to argue over it :D

At our local steel shoot, I often use a rimfire revolver. I register as Production Revolver because it is an unmodified revolver, exactly as it was produced...nothing custom or anything. :shrug: The rules listed here have a minimum caliber of .38/9mm for revolvers...so that would put it in the rimfire category :tap: Now...it is double action, 8 shot capacity, and I have speed loaders, but should it really be running against autoloaders?

I'm not worried about being in the prize money...I'll shoot it in any division...just happy to be there. To me, though, it just seems to fit better in Revolver. :shrug:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I saw in the other thread that this is a no-go. Bummer...but not surprising. It's good (I guess) to see the rules and divisions. I had a question though :o...I normally try not to be a trouble maker at all, and just be happy to shoot...but since we aren't shooting, we'll have plenty of time to argue over it :D

At our local steel shoot, I often use a rimfire revolver. I register as Production Revolver because it is an unmodified revolver, exactly as it was produced...nothing custom or anything. :shrug: The rules listed here have a minimum caliber of .38/9mm for revolvers...so that would put it in the rimfire category :tap: Now...it is double action, 8 shot capacity, and I have speed loaders, but should it really be running against autoloaders?

I'm not worried about being in the prize money...I'll shoot it in any division...just happy to be there. To me, though, it just seems to fit better in Revolver. :shrug:

First, let me start by saying, we have only had two revolvers register and shoot in six months. That said, I don't nor do I think anyone else will care if you shoot your .22 revolver in the revolver division. That is until someone bitches about it. As soon as that happens, it back to production for you.

Now, lets think about why someone would ever have a problem with a 22 revolver in a non rimfire division.

Recoil, Recoil, Recoil. A guy shooting a rimfire revolver will likely have much quicker target acquisition than the guy shooting a .38 - You can see why this would be a problem for someone who is keeping score and is worried about it.

Hope to see you in May.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    First, let me start by saying, we have only had two revolvers register and shoot in six months. That said, I don't nor do I think anyone else will care if you shoot your .22 revolver in the revolver division. That is until someone bitches about it. As soon as that happens, it back to production for you.

Now, lets think about why someone would ever have a problem with a 22 revolver in a non rimfire division.

Recoil, Recoil, Recoil. A guy shooting a rimfire revolver will likely have much quicker target acquisition than the guy shooting a .38 - You can see why this would be a problem for someone who is keeping score and is worried about it.

Hope to see you in May.

I love the "it's not a problem until it is" approach :party29: I doubt anybody will bitch until I start beating them...and I'll try not to do that for a while ;)

:fingerscrossed: for May

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A rimfire has to shoot in a rimfire division be it semi-auto or revolver. Since they don't have special rimfire revolver divisions you have to shoot anything with an optic in RFPO and any rimfire revolver with iron sights in RFPI. If you could shoot like Jerry it would not be an issue. In fact after Jerry almost won the world speed shooting title with a revolver they forced all revolvers to move to Open and Limited divisions and eliminated the revolver divisions at the time. Excuse was too many divisions. They added them back a few years ago, OSR and ISR.
    As for Production that is a centerfire division with very specific rules about the handguns. There are lots of "stock" semi-autos that don't qualify as Production as in anything that started life as a single or double stack 1911 or any semi-auto handgun that is a limited production version with a different trigger mechanism or is a Tactical, Competition, or Combat model. Production guns have limited amount of trigger modification, usually you can modify stock parts but can't install an aftermarket trigger mechanism. A stock Glock 17 or 19 is a Production gun but gets kicked to Limited (or Limited 10) if it has an aftermarket trigger as in Apex, ZEV, or any other. If I remember correctly the Production division was added to USPSA and Steel Challenge so that IDPA shooters with Stock Service Pistol (SSP) division guns had their own class. So there used to be a list of approved guns for Production division. Not sure they use a list today. I think today they have a not-approved list as its shorter. For instance my HK USP Compact in 9mm, .40S&W, and 357SIG is a Production gun but my full size HK USP Combat Competition model in either 9mm or .40 S&W is not allowed. Same with some Sig-Sauer models P320, P229 (except Sport model), and P226 are legal in production as long as the first round fired is double action. So Decocker SA/DA triggers are legal but not LEM ones (like my full size HK). Also any de-cocker trigger has to start in the de-cocked position in the holster even if it has an external safety. SA only guns are not allowed in Production, they have to move to Limited.
    Unlike the average shooter who usually shoots the gun they like, competition shooters shoot the gun that has an advantage or a gun they are paid to shoot. And sometimes the gun they appear to shoot is not what it looks like. I won't mention names but one pro I know shoots a European brand of 1911 that in actually is a custom STI built on a single stack frame with that company's name engraved on it exactly like their own guns. Of course its a Limited gun and perfectly legal. They just could not make a gun for this shooter that was reliable enough and shoots like an STI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom