• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Looking for suggestions on the best dies available...without breaking the bank. I'm looking for something that will help me get to good long range precision loads but I'm not out there winning any competitions or anything like that.

Thoughts?

Anyone have an extra set lying around?

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD

I have heard those dies are OUTSTANDING...you don't get much better.

I'm thinking those are a little bit out of my price range for my use. Especially since I already have a set of 6mm Creedmoor dies...in Idaho! :(

Just trying to figure out whether I will buy some now so I can reload now or wait until everybody stops panicing and I make my next trip out there...

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have whidden dies in a caliber, and forster dies and a custom die. For the money, I'd go forster or RCBS. Either a standard full length sizing die or a bushing die(might not fit your purposes). I like the micrometer seating dies but if only loading for one rifle, you dont need one. Once you find the "right seating depth" you leave it.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I just bought the Redding Deluxe set of dies with the seating die that has the micrometer on it. That will be helpful because I have a couple of different 6mm Creedmoor loads that all shoot very well. And I also have Redding dies for my 308, 243 and 30.06...I believe that the micrometer can be switched to those dies as well.

The Whidden and the Forster dies looked incredibly interesting and get rave reviews everywhere. They were very tempting.

I hope I didn't make a mistake...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another Whidden fan.

I use their sizer and seater for .308 precision loads.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I know folks that load, for precision, using all kinds of dies. Even Lee. Personally, I have Forster (.260), RCBS (.308), Redding (6×47), Dillon (.223 and pistol) and Hornady (.223). They all load precision rounds with no problem, but not a fan of Hornady. All load sub-MOA ammo.

I have recently had a barrel spun up in 6 Creedmoor, so also looking for a new die set. Whidden has popped up and I may try a set but still not convinced it will load any better than the other brands i have. If it can, I can't shoot the difference.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have recently had a barrel spun up in 6 Creedmoor, so also looking for a new die set. Whidden has popped up and I may try a set but still not convinced it will load any better than the other brands i have. If it can, I can't shoot the difference.

To be honest...I'm not sure they will either and I have a set. They look pretty, super well polished and came with a shoulder bump gauge though LOL.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I just bought the Redding Deluxe set of dies with the seating die that has the micrometer on it. That will be helpful because I have a couple of different 6mm Creedmoor loads that all shoot very well. And I also have Redding dies for my 308, 243 and 30.06...I believe that the micrometer can be switched to those dies as well.

The Whidden and the Forster dies looked incredibly interesting and get rave reviews everywhere. They were very tempting.

I hope I didn't make a mistake...

I use Redding in some of my rifles in other calibers and they are excellent. You should not be disappointed.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I have a set of the Redding competition dies and really like them. I would recommend looking at snipershide in the px section for 6mm creedmoor stuff as there are always a bunch of different things for sale.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Whidden are the high end.

I only use them for seriously long range ammo.

For "normal" stuff I have Lyman, RCBC, Redding, Pacific (dating myself), Dillon, Lee, and probably at least one more brand.

If I did not use Whidden for long range, I would use Redding Bushing dies for precision rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom