• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Both outdoor ranges at Loudoun IWLA have been closed for weeks. Kinda crazy since every other lane is six feet distance and they simply could have said "odd number lanes only," people would be making their own risk decisions, and no one would be forced to be there since no employees are assigned as range officers.
    I think they made the decision based on money. The dues were not reduced or prorated, but classes renting space are extra money, and since they were not making extra money they saw no downside in closing.

I don't want to give the people on the committee that made that decision a hard time, the rules committee people are volunteers and this is a unique event, but at least three paid activities I engage in, for example the gym I belong to, are prorating, to no or nominal cost, the prepaid dues during period of suspension of operations.

I have not researched this for veracity but my taekwondo studio said they must close because they are licensed as an exercise facility and they couldn't keep prepaid money or charge during this time. Therefore zero income and must shift everyone to the right however long they are closed. They are doing a separate online zoom thing which is weird but ok. While I'm not swimming in $ now either, I am giving them the fee to help out.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    The Bethesda/Chevy Chase IWLA did the same thing... ranges closed, no turkey hunting, and all buildings (including ports potties) closed. You can, however, walk the grounds/trails.

My kid’s taekwondo class is also online only... I don’t have an issue with them keeping the class fee, as I want them to come out of this - still in business .

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have not researched this for veracity but my taekwondo studio said they must close because they are licensed as an exercise facility and they couldn't keep prepaid money or charge during this time. Therefore zero income and must shift everyone to the right however long they are closed. They are doing a separate online zoom thing which is weird but ok. While I'm not swimming in $ now either, I am giving them the fee to help out.

Well with monthly dues some exercise places, specifically one or two big franchises, were attempting to charge full dues, some kind of place keeper dues. the exercise place my sisters belongs to they knocked down dues to $15 a month and offered online sessions.

But with IWLA's almost all I know of charge the the full year ahead. so they already have the money.

Loundon is probably 90% for the ranges. But by saying you can still walk the grounds, they can assert they are still open, even though everyone knows the main activity, by far, is the ranges. Given they already have the member's money, there isn't much members can do about it.

I am not blaming them, it is a volunteer board and committees in a membership based non-profit. But I do think they should have bucked up a bit more. The outdoor pistol/rifle range at loudoun are maybe 16 lanes and on weekdays it is extremely rare to see more than three or four of the lanes in use meaning social distancing would be easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom