• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Wouldn't it be nice if the MGA were reviewing for clarity the laws they enact instead of being bent on passing yet more ambiguous ones, he asks rhetorically.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In a state where there is a murder a day in Baltimore, many of which do not make the news, I doubt an arrest would make it. I know this is a shock, but there is more crime in Howard County than the 3 or 4 break-ins posted on their Facebook page. Baltimore City PD posts a handful of handgun violations per week . lol. I am sure thats all there is.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    An arrest and conviction would certainly get the attention of the 2A community with so many groups watching for significant court decisions. It would not go unnoticed

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Might the ambiguity affect SA decisions not to prosecute?

Maybe they don’t want a court ruling setting precedence.

BGOS prevents some people from doing some activities like stopping for gas.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ambiguity cuts two ways. Nobody wants to their fate determined by 12 random people. AG does not want a court ruling setting precedence, so they make a deal. But getting the AG do drop the charges still costs time, money, your prints are in the system, you might spend a night or three in jail before you make bail, and the record will need to be expunged. Life will still not be the same.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Until a court decides, there are no interpretations.

There are understandings, but they are not interpretations in a legal sense but

IANAL

It wouldn't really matter until we have a court decisions from the Court of Special Appeals or the Court of Appeals. A Baltimore County Judge does not need to follow the rulings made in Montgomery County.

I really hate laws that are as unclear as this one. I would prefer that the law allow a little latitude with "minor deviations" on the way to or from the activity.

Luckily, I don't hunt with a handgun, because there have been many, many times where I have stopped to eat before or after hunting, get gas, buy a gun on the way home, etc.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    An arrest and conviction would certainly get the attention of the 2A community with so many groups watching for significant court decisions. It would not go unnoticed

I think it would entirely go unnoticed. I bet the 2A community has no idea how many arrests and convictions have happened in Howard County, much less each and every county in the state. Plenty of people convicted each and every day on firearms charges and none of it hits the news or this board.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps a ruling would give guidance to not only SA throughout the state but to those of us who must decide the level of risk we want to assume

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    ambiguity cuts two ways. Nobody wants to their fate determined by 12 random people. AG does not want a court ruling setting precedence, so they make a deal. But getting the AG do drop the charges still costs time, money, your prints are in the system, you might spend a night or three in jail before you make bail, and the record will need to be expunged. Life will still not be the same.

I hate the ambiguity in its entirety, from a personal standpoint and from the standpoint of an attorney. It sucks to have to tell clients I have no idea whether they are guilty or not because the law itself is clear as mud.

Kind of crazy that this law has been on the books for so many years, yet nobody has really gone to trial on it as it pertains to an incidental stop between going to and from the range. Then again, maybe this is the very first time that an LEO has done something like this.

Can you imagine getting handcuffed and processed over something like this? Complete BS.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Perhaps a ruling would give guidance to not only SA throughout the state but to those of us who must decide the level of risk we want to assume

A ruling from a specific county would only cover that county. We would need a ruling from up the chain.

Maybe the General Assembly could address this ambiguity with something in the law, stating whether incidental stops are actually allowed. If they are not allowed, then state it. If they are allowed, then state it.

Then, that prevents some BS like Chow and having to define Transfer later down the road.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    For a while now, I've been reading more than posting... and for a while now I have been pointing less people to this forum. For those that I have pointed here, I have warned them of the infighting contained within. Sad... sorry Laj... I told you so...

P.S. Laj and I are good friends...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    For a while now, I've been reading more than posting... and for a while now I have been pointing less people to this forum. For those that I have pointed here, I have warned them of the infighting contained within. Sad... sorry Laj... I told you so...

P.S. Laj and I are good friends...

There is a reason I took a self imposed hiatus, and after the session is over I will probably be taking another one, because of the infighting and associated bs.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    There has never been one case presented on this board or in the news that I’ve ever heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to date myself here:

1) about 10 years ago there was a thread about some poor guy getting busted on the way back home from AGC. Woman MoCo officer reportedly busted him after a seeing his range badge and asking him questions and having him answer honestly. I don’t remember the circumstances of how he came to be speaking with her. Charges were reportedly dropped. I think CharlieFoxtrot might have represented the guy.

2) Even further back c2002-2007, the Jim Purtillo Tripwire newsletter and the old MCDL website warned of situations happening like this RoFo arrest, except the police were (reportedly) intentionally following people leaving ranges so they could bust them for the transport charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom