• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • person9334

Oct 9, 2020
    Hi Guys,

A few years ago I transferred my 31in LOA SBR down to another trustee in NC, I'm trying to move it back up here but my form 5320.20 was denied with no real explanation. Has something changed in MD laws that I can't find?

Thanks

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Is the OAL of the SBR less than 29" inches? If so it will be denied.

May depend on the examiner? I just had two such 5320.20 approved for round trip travel.

For the OP, It might also be the issue of switching trustee possession? I don’t know all those rules, so it is just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

person9334

Oct 9, 2020
    5320.20 is the temporary transport or change of address form for interstate movement, at least that's what I've filled out previously, and is still listed on the ATF site.

The weapon being with another trustee shouldn't mean anything as its not registered in the name of the trustee but the trust, so a 5320.20 was filled out a few years back so the firearm could legally be in NC, this is just moving it back up here.

The forms were submitted to ATF and the listed overall Length was "31 inches" the response in the denial is "state law overall length = 28inches" I don't understand why I would get denied for being over the LOA, when the weapon was originally built and registered in MD in 2015, and went to NC in 2018.

I've got it built the same way as when I registered it originally 11.5in barrel and as measured with stock its 31in overall.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Nothing has changed as far as the law on OAL. "state law overall length " should be the same as federal OAL. Unless there is a super double secret memo no one here is privy to (which is not impossible). where does the 3" difference come from? did someone un-pin the FH or change the stock?

Sounds like a mistake. I realize that ATF examiners never make a mistake, but there is a first time for everything.

person9334

Oct 9, 2020
    Nope, no changes to the thing since it was built. I think there is a mistake, I'm going to call them Tuesday and try to figure it out, I assume the normal ATF NFA branch number is who I'd call.

I have absolutely no clue where this 28in comes from....

person9334

Oct 9, 2020
    Finally got around to calling ATF, everything is legal, examiner misread the form but I have to resubmit, should not have been denied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom