• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I’m on the Eastern shore but used to go out to Garrett County grouse hunting when I was a kid. I’ve heard about the general decline in bird population over the last couple decades. I see DNR still has a season. So are there enough birds to still scare up?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’m on the Eastern shore but used to go out to Garrett County grouse hunting when I was a kid. I’ve heard about the general decline in bird population over the last couple decades. I see DNR still has a season. So are there enough birds to still scare up?
    Maryland still has a pheasant season too. When in the hell is the last time anyone has seen a wild pheasant in Maryland? Growing up in the outskirts of Westminster, we used to kill pheasants less than 100 yards from the back door, rabbits even closer. Haven’t seen a pheasant in 30 years or so. I did see a dead cockbird on the shoulder of the road on Park Heights Avenue near Garrison Forest 2 summers ago, so I guess there’s still a random bird here and there. I was running late for a meeting at Caves Valley Golf Course or I’d have stopped and grabbed it. On the way back I had hoped to get it but it was gone, less than 1hour later.

I’m surprised there isn’t a moratorium on hunting them in the state. I’ve seen more bald eagles in Carroll County than pheasants, and people used to drive from all over the state to Carroll County to hunt pheasants.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Haven’t seen grouse in years up here , although they are around , I hear of someone getting one every now and then . Same with quail , used to hunt them on shore with dogs . Would recommend grouse hunting with dog , save ya some walking / guessing . Never have shot a jumped grouse , without a dog. Things are so fast. My son harvested a pheasant at Mchee Besher , a stocked bird . But grouse populations are extremely low in my experience.Not like the good ole days .

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I talked to a naturalist at DNR about where to hunt grouse in MD. He suggested a few areas to hunt but was not encouraging. The local Ruffed Grouse Society rep did not think I would find any grouse in MD. I know of some guys hunt grouse in NE PA with some success. And I have seen some in the wilds of Pocohontas County, WV.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I was afraid that was the case. We used to camp at savage river state forest To deer hunt and I can remember Getting startled frequently walking the ridges when a grouse would explode out of cover. Interesting that Turkey was a rare sight in most of MD, now they’re plentiful, but grouse have so declined. Thanks for the feedback

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I have only seen a single grouse and heard another once in the last few years out in the public lands of western MD.

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    walking fire roads and little meadows used to account for an opportunity here and there in Savage but its been years since i heard f anyone hunting there for them

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    It has been a few years, probably 5 or so, but I have seen / heard them on hunting trips to savage River and green ridge state forests. I even saw 5 or 6 of them together on a 4wd trail that had a creek running beside it in savage river. Jumped a couple while deer hunting at Green ridge. Im sure there are some around but will take a lot of hiking, some luck, and or a dog to get a shot at one. Best of luck if you go

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    My parents bought land near the 97 and 26 intersection in the mid 90s and it was loaded with both grouse and pheasants. It was a mix of mature forest, wetlands and 10 years abandoned pasture which is great habitat for both. You couldn't go for a walk without jumping a bunch of birds. After a few years they all disappeared, nothing for the past 20 years. I always assumed someone near by was stocking them and stopped(perhaps the previous owner) to account for the rapid decline. I would trade 100 tree rats for one bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom