• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have not yet, going to wait the 60 days and have it scored by Bucks-Bears-Stags.
    Pictures can be deceiving, but I'll go out on a limb and guess high 140s to low 150s. Again, pics are hard to go by...

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    My oldest (12), took his first buck this afternoon. Good sized six point, after getting skunked for junior hunt and the five other times I’ve gotten him out this season. He is seriously stoked!

Congrats on his first buck especially this late in the season!

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I was fortunate enough to get the deer of my life so far last night. Wife was not happy as I was heading down to our lease as Inlaw’s were headed over to do a late Christmas for the kids, but I was still chasing. Took the shot at 55 yards, 450 bushmaster. I almost had a panic attack as no blood for the first 20-25 yards. Picked up light blood but he was only another 30 yards in some brush.

Nice Buck!

Congrats!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So aggravated with myself today. I have a funnel set up behind my house that I've been trying to use to get one last deer this season. Last weekend they weren't quite hitting it yet. Then of course all week while I'm working, they are in it all day. Thursday I snuck down at lunch, passed on a medium doe and was drawn on a bigger one. Needed her to take one more step, she never did. Last night something between us spooked them. This morning I walk out, its about 15 minutes before legal light, and I can see a big doe. So I stepped behind my hay shed, set my draftkings lineups and waited for legal light. Gets light enough to shoot, lean out around the shed and proceed to sail the arrow over her back at 15 yards....perfect set up, horrible shot. Oh well back at it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    So aggravated with myself today. I have a funnel set up behind my house that I've been trying to use to get one last deer this season. Last weekend they weren't quite hitting it yet. Then of course all week while I'm working, they are in it all day. Thursday I snuck down at lunch, passed on a medium doe and was drawn on a bigger one. Needed her to take one more step, she never did. Last night something between us spooked them. This morning I walk out, its about 15 minutes before legal light, and I can see a big doe. So I stepped behind my hay shed, set my draftkings lineups and waited for legal light. Gets light enough to shoot, lean out around the shed and proceed to sail the arrow over her back at 15 yards....perfect set up, horrible shot. Oh well back at it.

There's still time!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Frustrating as hell. Missed again at 4pm. Checked the xbow afterwards, it was 18 inches off. Not sure what happened. Ot was shooting great a few weeks ago.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Frustrating as hell. Missed again at 4pm. Checked the xbow afterwards, it was 18 inches off. Not sure what happened. Ot was shooting great a few weeks ago.

I feel your pain! If I did not have bad luck this season, i would not have any luck at all. All my good times and luck I spent offshore fishing this year. That was awesome!

Until this year, I had NEVER missed and never lost a deer. This year I tried Bow instead of crossbow and missed on my first and only shot I took. This was after letting several smaller deer and easier shots go by cause I wanted a bigger deer. During ML season I hit low @ 80 yards, took out its leg but it got away. Heard from another hunter they took it 2 days later.

Fast forward to now. Friend moved in a few weeks ago and has 21 acres. However the only area with enough setback is backed up to woods but still in an open field. I did not have time to move my tree stand so set up a ground blind. at edge of woods in high grass. Last night 6 came up to it then kids screaming over on the next property spooked them. They came back and this time they were walking straight towards me entering from the other end of the field. I was a perfectly still, then a horse neighed and as they looked, I raised the crossbow. 3 started walking including the big doe I was going to shoot which never got in range. Thinking they were going to leave, I picked a 2 year old and took the shot. NORMALLY I have been taking shots when they are eating. I just feel (right or wrong) that when they are eating, they have less O2 in their lungs and will not run as far if I double lung them. Recovered the bolt in the clumpy grass and I had a pass through covered in blood. But we had ZERO blood trail. We entered the corner where it ran in and could not find it. When I got home, I noticed my scope was loose. Turned on the back light and shot a couple times into my target. Moving scope from one side to the other produced good elevation but a 12" spread. I went there this morning and found it 200 yards from where I shot it. very little blood except where it lied down. Hit around back of lung. Birds were picking its arse apart as well as the exit wound and it stunk so I"m not going to harvest the meat.

I always feel that every time I hunt I learn something. In this case it was getting discipline in checking my gear each time and not just trusting it was accurate on the last shot 2 days ago. I was not discipline in doing so this time and missed out on a good harvest.
    The other thing I learned was searching for the deer I found out some more about where they were bedding down and moving. I adjusted one of my cameras as well. Not sure if they will be around for next few days but clock is ticking till the 31st. I need to redeem myself. No way I can ML hunt with my sidelock in Feb, too close to horses and he needs to be good to his neighbors.

EDIT: guy at work said I should learn to quarter the dear. He said he would have pulled the front quarter and especially the backstraps. More to learn :)

251a96579e06487204030a0602f8b198.jpg

02a810213c761d68151ea9c7da602cd6.jpg

Last edited:

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Got this one with 5 minutes left in PAs flintlock season. Double lunged her. She went about 60 yards. I had to wait until this morning to recover her.
    8ed7e2007137decc20a0ec63f06ac4a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Looks like I got her in the stomach. Had to leave her overnight and this is what was left. OK to harvest what's left or worried about rabies with whatever got into her?

Attachments

• 20210120_095444.jpg
      20210120_095444.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 166

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Looks like I got her in the stomach. Had to leave her overnight and this is what was left. OK to harvest what's left or worried about rabies with whatever got into her?

I've had deer get eaten by yotes in less than two hours no more than 100 yds from my stand. Never that bad though. I'd cut the backstrap and shoulders off and leave the rest. Those hams look FUBAR

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Dressed her and just not enough left to be worth it. One shoulder was really tough and mangled from a car accident the other year. Buzzards can have her :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom