• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Looking for the value of an older model 4” colt python in SS.

Attachments

• 19940952-743D-4DDB-AE7D-A86EE0FD2968.jpeg
      19940952-743D-4DDB-AE7D-A86EE0FD2968.jpeg
      149.4 KB · Views: 615

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It looks like it's had honest use. In the condition it appears to be...cleaning it up and more and better pics...it's probably in the $2000-$2200 range. If it cleans up better, has its box and paperwork and good mechanical shape that would add to the value.

Are you looking to sell it or buy it?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Check gunbroker for some ideas, if you join there you can do an advanced search for auctions which have ended and see what things actually sold for, lots of crazy asking prices on there which never sell.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Value depends if you're a buyer or a seller. I have five Pythons with a sixth serving its seven day MD jail sentence right now. I like to see values stay up...unless I'm buying one...then the Scrooge in me comes out.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Looking to possibly get it in a trade deal.

It looks like it's had honest use. In the condition it appears to be...cleaning it up and more and better pics...it's probably in the $2000-$2200 range. If it cleans up better, has its box and paperwork and good mechanical shape that would add to the value.

Are you looking to sell it or buy it?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The thing that is probably going to kill the collector value on older Pythons is the fact that we now have the 2020 Python - slightly different in minor ways, mostly the same, and according to what I've read, improved in other ways.

I would be inclined to offer less for a used older stainless Python than the price of a new 2020 Python, regardless of what someone else may claim about it's collectible value, but I'm not interested in guns as a collector - I'm interested in guns I can take out and shoot and not have to worry about them being collectible. To me it would make no sense to try to buy an older stainless Python for more than what I would pay to get a 2020 Python brand new in the box, and the street price on that is somewhere between $1200 and $1400. (MSRP is $1499)

Blued would be another matter - they aren't currently offering a blued version - just stainless.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While many purists do not like the new 2020 Python because they like the "hand-fitting" of the original. The new Python is designed for modern assembly techniques and is better for it...it's action is less complex and has a wonderful feel...it's made of superior steel not available before...and is at least as accurate. The older Python is a wonderful revolver...never a question of that. The 2020 Python simply builds on that legacy for today's times.

The Python the OP is asking about is an excellent revolver...it will do everything asked from it. It does show some use and as long as it hasn't been abused will give outstanding service.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    While many purists do not like the new 2020 Python because they like the "hand-fitting" of the original. The new Python is designed for modern assembly techniques and is better for it...it's action is less complex and has a wonderful feel...it's made of superior steel not available before...and is at least as accurate. The older Python is a wonderful revolver...never a question of that. The 2020 Python simply builds on that legacy for today's times.

The Python the OP is asking about is an excellent revolver...it will do everything asked from it. It does show some use and as long as it hasn't been abused will give outstanding service.
    No disagreement at all about the older Python being a nice revolver - I just don't think it's worth any more than a new 2020 Python, although I'd be inclined to pay extra for an older blued Python - I'm not sure there was ever a prettier gun than a slick, polished Colt Python in blued steel.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm not sure there was ever a prettier gun than a slick, polished Colt Python in blued steel.

A Royal Blue Python is truly a thing of beauty. S&W was capable of such beautiful bluing at one time as well...but Colt sure had it together for the Python.

There's an old saying...with much truth to it...that Colt guns were still being polished while S&W guns were on trucks being delivered to the customers.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Those are very realistic values, good.guys to ask. TOMB is the Phython man!

My thoughts are, the newly released wont change values.of the old ones....to me they are even close to the quality. I was lucky enough to get an older one.....

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Still sitting watching after the introduction of the new generation Pythons. Is the new Python really THAT much better?

I have a little shot mid 80's blue 6" Python, maybe 600 rounds through it. My son and I take it out for a stroll every couple of years.
    My question to self after the introduction of the new generation Python is, "Do I sell the older one and buy a new one with
    lots of $$$ left over?" . In trickg's camp I am a shooter first and collector a decided second. But I appreciate good
    equipment. If I were really going to get back into more double action work I would use my 6" Security Six or
    get a 6" GP 100 or Smith 686. So I just might by the 586 or 686 Smith.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My question to self after the introduction of the new generation Python is, "Do I sell the older one and buy a new one with
    lots of $$$ left over?" . In trickg's camp I am a shooter first and collector a decided second. But I appreciate good equipment. If I were really going to get back into more double action work I would use my 6" Security Six or get a 6" GP 100 or Smith 686. So I just might by the 586 or 686 Smith.
    Take the extra time to save and get the new Python, and then you'll have both. That's what I'd do.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Still sitting watching after the introduction of the new generation Pythons. Is the new Python really THAT much better?

The new Python is as good as the original...and certainly better in some ways.

The new Python is made to use modern techniques and avoid the necessity of expensive hand-fitting. It's more user friendly in respect that the front sight is very easily swapped out and the trigger pull is excellent. The grade of stainless steel is stronger and the frame is beefed up because of it. The cylinder lockup is traditional Colt...bank vault solid.

There are a few things many have found a bit disappointing...the hammer design is not as exquisite as the original and the backstrap is not grooved. That aside it's a beautiful looking and performing revolver.

I've heard rumors of a Royal Blue Python but that is not confirmed. Supposedly there's lots of exciting things to come out of the Colt factory in the future...hope it's true. Colt needs a .44 Magnum as well as a .22 handgun in their lineup. For myself I would love to see the New Frontier single-action revolver brought back...and in a 10mm version...but they're not listening to me.

What it comes down to is value per dollar. Is it worth so much more than a S&W or Ruger .357 is the same size class? Maybe not...you'll get excellent service out of any and outstanding accuracy from all. Each person will have to decide that for themselves...but only one is a Python. If that doesn't matter to you it's certainly ok.

To many it's not value per dollar but smiles per mile...just like different automobiles.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    All I know is that there Colt Python is the next pistol I buy. If they've got the blued version out by the time I've got my pennies saved, I'll get that one, but I'd be plenty happy with the stainless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom