• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Sense not this does make - maybe the description is wrong?
    But it does seem like a Frankenstein. That probably won't stop it from going over $2k though.

Jul 1, 2012
    But to do a duffle cut he would have had to take it apart and taken the "barreled action" out of the stock.
    Which you can't do without breaking it down.
    Very strange unless it was a repair to the forestock, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    But to do a duffle cut he would have had to take it apart and taken the "barreled action" out of the stock.
    Which you can't do without breaking it down.
    Very strange unless it was a repair to the forestock, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

OK, perhaps someone restored a sporterized or damaged forestock. I pray that's the case. Anything else doesn't make much sense.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    There are idiots in every generation.

People like to think that a certain group of people are super smart. I've been all over the world and there are morons everywhere, same for all generations.

Or, someone put something back together but couldn't fix that part.

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    Sorry, clicked on the posted link and I could not see any duffle cut. Can someone point to which picture shows it?

Jul 1, 2012
    If it's where the description says, it's underneath the barrel band so you wouldn't be able to see it.
    Trimming the pics, the lower, forward part of the forestock doesn't seem to match the part aft of the band.

Regardless, even though it's a mis-matched front barrel assembly to rear action assembly, and boogered with (wonder what else doesn't match?), it'll still go for some decent $$. All-correct ones are selling $3-4k now.

Attachments

• 75_4.jpg
      75_4.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 151
    • 75_11.jpg
      75_11.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 141
    Jul 1, 2012
    Interesting... I had one about 100 away from this one and it had the "dimple" behind the band on both sides (as do some others I can find in that S/N range). It looks like the auction rifle may have had that filled in on the right side.

You can also see that the stock has been sanded a lot. Mine was too but not that severely.

I bet if you took the auction rifle apart there would be more anomalies than this.

Attachments

• 75_4.jpg
      75_4.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 129

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Good eye! There should be a relief at the band and the wood definitely doesn't match. Looks to be a restored item.

Attachments

• IMGP8098.JPG
      IMGP8098.JPG
      26.1 KB · Views: 133

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Wiping rod is definitely a repo, and the FS pin has been buggered for some reason. I don't know how that would have happened except for one of the wings was broken off and they changed it.
    For some other reason, the screws on the stock reinforce at the side are either peened over or have been replaced with rivets.
    Probably from where they had it apart, and stripped the screws.
    They are very delicate tiny screws with super fine threads. Two different diameters too if I remember correctly.

The cased rifle on the roof top with the villain in Dirty Harry is a type 2 Jap rifle with reworked woods. Next time you see it, check it out-pretty neat.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Why does the auction house thinks that's a duffle cut? Unless the soldier cut the barrel and everything, how would "duffle cutting" the stock under the barrel band make it any shorter for transport home? Probably just two stocks bubba'd together.

Jul 1, 2012
    I think "duffle cut" is the generic go-to nomenclature for a cut under the barrel band.
    In this case yes, it makes no sense that it was cut to stuff it in a duffle, but more so if it was a repair.
    Either way that thing is a hot mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom