Getting Started with Air Guns - Where to shoot, What to Buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Hello All,

I've been wanting to do this for years, but something always seems to put it on the back burner. Trying to make a concerted effort in 2021 to actually start shooting air guns. Part of the added motivation is that my teenage daughter seems to be interested in learning. She is a girly girl for the most part, but she is the type that likes to know how to do anything, and extremely competitive about being good at everything she does.

Started by trying to do some research into the laws for shooting air guns. We are in Balt Co, and unfortunately fall in the Metropolitan District. So I believe that means no shooting on our property.

We have a wooded section behind our home that is about 150 yards across before other homes, and downhill from what would be our shooting position. Would have been nice to be able to set-up under our deck and shoot downhill to targets set-up in this wooded section, so this is a bummer..

Then I saw a recent thread about setting up a basement range. Why hadn't I thought of this before? I have a roughly 40 foot long section that I could create a 10 M range in. Create a Rubber Mulch or Ductseal Pellet Trap and some 3/4 inch plywood for a backstop. Am I correct in assuming that there is no law against me discharging an air rifle in my basement?

While I have dreams of high end PCP rifles, I'm currently looking at CO2 powered pellet rifles and pistols to shoot and teach my daughter firearms safety and shooting skills (as well as refine mine that are largely rusty/forgotten at this point). Currently Looking at the following (in order), so any experience/feedback with them is also appreciated..

Beeman QB78
    Sheridan 2260
    Crosman 1077
    Crosman Legacy 1000 or 2100 classic (pump - thinking this may make it get old quickly for my daughter though)

(I also have dreams of one day owning a Hatsan Flash QE or similar*PCP as well, but that is probably*a couple of years out)

Thoughts and guidance on above much appreciated..

~Scott

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Of those choices I'd go with the QB78. With a little bit of work it will wind up having the best trigger. Over the past couple weeks the synthetic stock version (QB78S)could be had for under $70. Check amazon and ebay regularly.

I've got a 1077 and a 2100 that you are welcome to try out. Trigger is bad on both. The 2100 can be improved but I haven't bothered taking it apart yet.

As to shooting in your yard in Baltimore County I think it will come down to where or not you have approving neighbors. If your neighbors don't approve and call you will likely be told to stop.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I have a base model Benjamin Maurader that I am very happy with. Not sure if it fits in your price range, but I would not hesitate to recommend it. Accurate and quiet with the built in silencer. That makes it more practical to shoot around your neighbors.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Are you looking more pistol or rifle?

I have had bad luck with CO2 so would read up on that before you go that way. I prefer a single pump gun myself, but the kid(s) may tire of that if it is too hard to cock.

Not sure how large your daughter is but I have a Air Venturi Bronco rifle with an added peep sight that Pyramid sold a few years ago. Shot little and I will cut you a deal on it if interested please PM me. You can even come test fire it you like and try a pile of others I have to see what is your flavor. I'm near Eldersburg.

I am pretty sure you can shoot indoors, but I'm not in B'more county.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I have a couple Air guns right now that i shoot with my 9 & 10 year old grandsons. The NP is the only one the kids can't operate fully. They each have their issues but are all fun. The 5 year old loves the Vigilante revolver since it is very light and he can shoot it. We are not in the city so we don't have any issues shooting in the back yard and still would love to shoot in the basement. Just know CO2 are not good in the cold weather.

Benjamin Varmint Air Rifle 0.22cal Nitro Piston
    Daisy Powerline 880, .177 variable pump
    Crosman 1077, .177 Repeat Air Semi-Automatic CO2
    Crosman Vigilante, .177 CO2 Revolver
    Umarex Strike Point, 177 variable pump Pistol

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I love C02 just not this time of year. I love the ability it gives you for training and to just be able to keep pulling the trigger.
    Saturday was a blessing with the temperature being above 50 degrees so I was able to shoot this old joy. I wanted to see what I was capable of doing at 10 yards with a bb pistol.

Attachments

• 1111 1.jpg
      1111 1.jpg
      161.6 KB · Views: 310
    • 1111 2.jpg
      1111 2.jpg
      198 KB · Views: 329
    • 1111 4.jpg
      1111 4.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 318
    • 1111 5.jpg
      1111 5.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 316
    • 1111-3.jpg
      1111-3.jpg
      155.3 KB · Views: 316

LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Thanks to everyone who has responded...

I've had some suggestions to look into the*XS-60 as another alternative to consider.* So if anyone has any knowledge of these let me know.

I looked at a couple of shops that seem to specialize in ths*XS-60.* I'm assuming this is a single shot rifle as well, but wasn't clear?* Though another company called 'Stalwart Arms' seems to sell a repeater version of the XS-60?* Anyone familiar*with this or the company?**

Both Stalwart and Dragon offer 'tune' packages on the rifles, but the repeater option is enticing..

TEMCCOY - I know the Marauder had a great following, but I think it's way too large/Heavy for my daughter to handle comfortably, and it's a PCP, so more investment*in pumps, and not sure if the pumping need will sour the experience for her (or likely I will be doing all the pumping)

OHEN CEPEL - Looking for a rifle for now, probably a blowback rep pistol eventually.* Daughter is petite, so looking for something on the smaller/lighter side and I'm concerned*pumping will cause her to lose interest quickly, hence the CO2 focus..

I know there are limitations with C02, particularly when it comes to low temperature performance, but honestly can't see shooting in low temps, if it is cold enough to make drastic differences, it is likely it will be uncomfortable for my daughter, and she is not likely to be interested.* The basement gets as low as maybe mid 60s in the dead of winter..**

Also appreciate the offer to come by and do some shooting, may ultimately*take you up on it, as I'm not far from you (I'm in OM)..

Open to any and all other input, thanks again everyone..

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have a Diana Chaser CO2 .177 pellet rifle kit ordered. Comes with a moderator on the rifle barrel that can be placed on the pistol barrel, too. At ~645 FPS, it is safe to shoot indoors with the proper backstop or trap. Reviews put the trigger around 3.5 pounds and accuracy is very good.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Then I saw a recent thread about setting up a basement range. Why hadn't I thought of this before?

I know, right?!?!? We're already well into our second box of 25 CO2 cartridges. My son is loving it. (Me too :innocent0)

It's just the thing that I needed to catch him in the right mood for learning. Going out to the gun range doesn't always capture him at an optimal attention span, since it often a weather-driven or schedule-driven activity. Being able to walk downstairs, put on the eye protection, and let'em fly is just the solution.

The basement range is always open (when nobody is sleeping).

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    On the same topic of "Getting Started with Air Guns - Where to shoot, What to Buy":

I believe I have a good idea where I can shoot (options in the backyard, basement, and membership at an outdoor range), so instead I will be asking for advice on what to buy.

My inclination right now is for a Diana 48, but I am trying to research what is appropriate regarding a scope (I am near-sighted) and best prospects for trying out ammo. Also, any advice regarding maintenance (oiling / cleaning) that should be heeded.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    On the same topic of "Getting Started with Air Guns - Where to shoot, What to Buy":

I believe I have a good idea where I can shoot (options in the backyard, basement, and membership at an outdoor range), so instead I will be asking for advice on what to buy.

My inclination right now is for a Diana 48, but I am trying to research what is appropriate regarding a scope (I am near-sighted) and best prospects for trying out ammo. Also, any advice regarding maintenance (oiling / cleaning) that should be heeded.

A LOT depends on what you want to do with the gun. The 48 is heavy at 8.5lbs for just the gun. If you are planning on doing any walking with the gun you might be disappointed. The 48 is also on the higher power for a springer, so might take a bit of getting used to if you want accuracy.
    If you are looking for a backyard plinker and are set on a springer I would personally recommend a HW30 or Beeman R7 (same gun). Low weight, low cocking force needed, min recoil. a dream to shoot.
    As far as ammo, the majority of guns do will with JSB pellets.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I do not anticipate going on long hikes with the 48, but could manage if the need arises. 8.5# is less than the grand ☺️.

Given where prices are for powder fueled ammo, I very well may have a while to practice and learn proper springer technique.

Getting an idea where to research is helpful, so I will look into the recommended HW30 or Beeman R7.

I am fairly aware of the different effects of projectile types and weights with the rifles and pistols I normally shoot, differentiating hunting vs competition vs plinking rounds. Is there a good resource for reading up on the spectrum of air pellet types?

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I do not anticipate going on long hikes with the 48, but could manage if the need arises. 8.5# is less than the grand ☺️.

Given where prices are for powder fueled ammo, I very well may have a while to practice and learn proper springer technique.

Getting an idea where to research is helpful, so I will look into the recommended HW30 or Beeman R7.

I am fairly aware of the different effects of projectile types and weights with the rifles and pistols I normally shoot, differentiating hunting vs competition vs plinking rounds. Is there a good resource for reading up on the spectrum of air pellet types?

airgunnation.com is a good place to start.

In reference to pellets the "best" overall that I have found (for accuracy) are dome shaped pellets. Sure wadcutter make better holes in paper, but I personally like accuracy over everything else. Most wadcutter only stay stable at shorter distances. At air gun velocities most hollow point pellets will not expand, so an accurate dome is just as good in the killing department.

I started with springers, but have moved to pretty much PCP guns now

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Well, I suppose I will be starting with a springer as well. If the current crazy (powder) ammo prices stick around, I foresee a lot more practice time going to a pellet rifle instead.

The profile on a wadcutter certainly does not give the intuitive impression of having a good ballistic coefficient. That said, the standard 148gr hollow base wadcutter has always been my ideal round for accuracy and clean holes in paper for a 38 special.

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    Scott,
    While not living where you do, I can tell you a basement range is a lot of fun. Especially if you can get 10m, because that will allow your daughter to practice for competition if she gets into shooting. I built a plywood box and placed a metal pellet trap inside. This quiets pellet impact significantly, reduces lead splatter, and reduces possible ricochets. If your basement is warm CO2 won't be a problem and they are great fun. Later a nitro piston or springer is a nice addition. I am a PCP shooter, and agree the Hatsan Flash is fun, so is the Gauntlet, both at reasonable prices for entry with a pump. Welcome to the air gun section of the forum, lots of helpful folk on here. My basement range is below as a idea starter.

Attachments

• 1 bb.jpg
      1 bb.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 141

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Too help with ammo choice. I bought a variety pack of different brands, types, and weights of pellets from pyramid air. It allows you to shot different pellets to find out what you rifle likes. I found heavier,dome shaped pellets most accurate in mine. But pellets with bb imbedded in tip have more kill power at close to medium range.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    A basement range probably isn't legal in Baltimore County, the home of Johnny Omg. It's just no one knows about it. I lived in Baltimore county for 20 years and used my air rifles to mange pests in the yard and such, but sparingly. Setting up a range in the yard would probably get you a visit from the police. If you go with a basement range, get a .22 trap. They are heavy and won't deform. Putting some sound deadening material in it certainly can't hurt. Hope she enjoys it! Good luck.
    V

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom