• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you are only going to shot targets, yes it will work. If the plan ever is to take up hunting, I would look for something else. A bow with good range of adjustment from a major manufacture, such as Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite, and many, many others would be better, but more expensive.

More info here:

https://www.huntersfriend.com/

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Many bows need a lot of adjusting to set them up properly for an individual. If you are getting a compound you will probably want to find a shop or a person who knows how to fit it for you to get the most out of it.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Oh, I assume I'll need to get some setup help (probably the Gun Shack in Mt. Airy.) I'm wondering if SAS is known as a manufacturer, either good or bad. The specific bow listed here, their "Primal", seems on paper to fit just about all my specs for a first bow, but I know just about nothing about different brands.

So I ask around...

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have never heard of that company, and while that in itself doesn't mean much, I don't think I would go that route. I would recommend a Bowtech Fuel as a first bow, but there are others. The Fuel can be adjusted from I think 18 inches to 30 for draw and 14 to 70 lbs. It has a fair amount of speed at 70 lbs (320) and is something you can grow with and shoot target, 3d or hunt with. If you buy something cheap to get started and end up liking it, you will just spend more on a better bow in 6 months.

Other thing I would recommend is going somewhere that you can shoot the bow before you but it. There are several places within driving distance from you and everyone has their favorite. Mine is Lancaster Archery. Their showroom is huge and you can shoot anything you want. They can be a huge help, but there are other places around also, I just think they are the largest and friendliest. Good luck with finding a bow

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    The best archery shop I have ever used is Cheyenne Outfitters in Bordentown NJ. I know its out of the way for most but Vinnie works in their (he used to be in the Sportsman Shop) and he is been working on my bows for about 25 years. Best in the industry in my opinion. There equipment is reasonably priced and if you buy things from them there is no charge to install parts etc. You buy arrows they cut them for no charge, unlike some local shops I have used here in MD. Again its a hike but if you happen to be in the area as I often am, its worth the visit.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Go to a local shop and get fitted. Feels what's right for you, and your wallet.

You do not need to purchase a top of the line bow, and they will have plenty of models to choose from.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Lancaster Archery and Jefferson Archery are excellent recommendations.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

For a beginning archer, there's nothing 'wrong' with a Mission bow.

They've changed their lineup a bit.
    I have a (now older) Venture that shoots like crazy.
    It does what I need it to do, which is 'flinging arrows' with my son, in the back yard.

Here's one example:

https://missionarchery.com/bows/switch/

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    And I'm back with another contender, still on the inexpensive end but on sale for a week or two at Bass Pro, a Diamond Prism:
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-by-bowtech-prism-compound-bow-package

For $100 more, look for the "ready to hunt" packages.

Well, this package does include "3-pin sight, arrow rest, quiver, peep, and string loop" (I think string loop means for a quick release?), which should be pretty much everything I'd need (apart from arrows and a case) for target shooting...

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    Following up on my WTB: Compound Bow for Beginner (me), I see a Southland Archery Supply bow package at Amazon for very cheap.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GSHJP6J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AW5VCQ8QJC9FD&psc=1

Is this any good for a just-starting-out target shooter?

Thanks!

Hey man, I bought an SAS compound early this year. I took it to a shop and got it all set up. I started shooting it and liked it a lot. I’m no expert, it’s the first bow that I have owned but I have shot friends’ bows who have same measurements as me (almost). It felt good and I was happy with it, excited to try and hunt this season (I’m new to bowhunting).

Somehow, the screw that holds the draw length measurement came out of the top cam and I didn’t notice. Now the top half of the string pulls back to full length and the other is at my length. Took me forever but I finally found out the REAL company is known as ManKung and I believe it’s Taiwan but they ship out of Netherlands. I just bit the bullet and ordered a replacement cam set since I got it for so cheap off Amazon but the bow seems decent for a beginner.

If I could do it again, I’d find a more reputable brand and spend the money on a used bow. Just my two cents

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    My wife wanted to get into archery, she's not a big fan of guns (grew up foreign where suppressors are standard, and doesn't like the noise they make here unsupressed) so I got her an XGeek bow off amazon, full starter kit for $250. I also found a used Mission Bow at the flea market nearby that was also the makings of a full beginner kit for $100 so now we have both.

That XGeek bow isn't too shabby, so far. It is very easily adjustable using just the allen key set it comes with, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom