• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    With all the craziness going on these days, my wife and I are looking to take a self-defense class. I've seen several martial arts studios but they all seem to focus on close contact "sparring". Can anyone recommend the appropriate type of class we are looking for? We just want to be able to defend ourselves in the event we encounter a peaceful protester.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Krav Maga is decent, and a good workout, with a couple caveats:

It is usually a monthly subscription, like a gym with sign up fees. I believe they have a month to month option (more expensive) that I would recommend, because getting out of your contract is very difficult, even with a legitimate reason.

It is physically intense, and injuries are pretty common, especially with the beginner classes

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I would think that taking classes 3 times per week for 2-3 years would give you a good start. A weekend seminar wouldn't give you much; there are too many variables.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sign up for jujitsu and be prepared to work for at least a year or so. Also either sign up for a gym, or get equipment at home to improve fitness. Once you feel pretty comfortable with jujitsu, then you can worry about strikes and take some form or traditional boxing or muay-thai/dutch-style boxing. Again, be prepared to work for at least a year to begin feeling comfortable with it. Prioritizing grappling is because the #1 striking/blade defense is just to move away from the threat. You can't just run away if they have hold of you. The nature of defense is that you can't be proficient at it without putting in a lot of work sparring. Just learning a couple basic moves in a short self defense class does not prepare you for what happens when that move doesn't work.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    You can buy and carry a Taser. Not sure how effective that would be since peaceful protesters tend to travel in groups.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    As mentioned, unless you're committed, it'll be a waste of your time. Sort of like buying a pistol and not training with it. I'd also add that sparring/rolling is mandatory to be effective. And, if you're worried about COVID, martial arts isn't a space you should be in.

I am not trying to dissuade you from your need. I just want you to know it's a commitment and requires some sacrifice if you really want to defend yourself.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "close contact sparring" is pretty much how a good martial art works, only real way to build muscle memory, and free sparring is essential to learn. Have been doing BJJ for almost 2 years, 3 times a week,(except for the 3 month Covid shutdown), most classes start with a 15 min warmup/excercise, 30-45 min instruction with a partner, and 30-45min of free rolling/sparring with classmates. It has a STEEP learing curve, expect to walk in, and get absolutely destroyed by the 14 year old 2 stripe white belt 1/2 your weight, rolling with any colored belt is constantly humbling. It's not magic, you just respond to a specific attack with a couple specific defenses a few hundred times till you don't have to think about it. You start out learning a few different attacks/defenses, then over the years you fill in the holes in your game. It is extremely physical, and effective, a decent ground game takes time to learn, where mixing in judo and a little kickboxing can help you know how to block, and get someone on the ground fast. It's kinda like getting a dog for home defense though, seems like a good idea, till you consider it takes years of work, lots of money, is frustrating and rewarding, and in the end while it is good for defense, seriously taking up a martial art ends up becoming a lifestyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom