• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jeff g

BANNED!!!
    Jul 7, 2020
    Hi I think that I made a mistake and order a stock instead of a brace. The all look so similar then after reading here I am fairly sure I goofed. So I am wondering if I can cut the stock that I bought in any way to make is a brace? I did a crud windows paint. I added white lines to make cut outs. I know I am new here but I've been reading a bunch and do respect your opinions. I hope the pic attachment loads?

Attachments

• 12334.JPG
      12334.JPG
      26 KB · Views: 329

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm assuming you're using that on a pistol (barrel <16"). The potential legal consequences for possessing a short barreled rifle without a stamp are severe, if ATF was to consider that still a stock. I'd eat the cost and buy a real brace from a manufacturer that has submitted their design to ATF for acceptance as a pistol brace. NFA violations aren't something to take lightly.

Making that mod puts it in a very grey area legally, and I doubt anyone outside ATF's Technical Branch could give a (temporarily) definitive answer.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Buy a brace and sell the stock, the only way to get an official opinion would be so send it to the ATF firearms tech branch, then it’s an opinion so they can turn around and change their mind.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    My understanding is that pistol braces are legal because the ATF says so. If the ATF didn't approve your "pistol brace" it's not a pistol brace.

I wouldn't dare. Just my $0.02.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Buy a brace and sell the stock, the only way to get an official opinion would be so send it to the ATF firearms tech branch, then it’s an opinion so they can turn around and change their mind.

Im with this guy. The juice isn't worth the squeeze

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    It wouldn’t be worth the repercussions. Keep it for a rifle build or sell it and get a brace. You put that on a pistol (modified or not) without a stamp and you’re toast.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If something as simple as adding a rubber pad to the back of an approved brace suddenly creates an SBR, modifying a stock and calling it a brace will most certainly an SBR and require a stamp.

Buy a real brace and save the headaches!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The design of a brace allows those of us with disability the ability to wrap it around our arms and brace it accordingly. The company that developed these braces have jumped through plenty of hoops for the approval, your DIY is still a stock and therefore you’d end up with an SBR without a stamp. I wouldn’t dare myself.

jeff g

BANNED!!!
    Jul 7, 2020
    thanks for your input guys, I will just scrap the stock then. I watched some more videos and see some folks are using a para-cord wrap; is that legal in MD. If yes I think I will do that since ar pistol braces are not in stock or not easy to get now.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    thanks for your input guys, I will just scrap the stock then. I watched some more videos and see some folks are using a para-cord wrap; is that legal in MD. If yes I think I will do that since ar pistol braces are not in stock or not easy to get now.

Nobody is going to agree with you doing something that is illegal on a federal level.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A rubber crutch tip was an early solution, and it works fairly well. Costs maybe six bucks.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

While the law is vague and you may be able to defend succesfully in court, it aint worth the ride. ATF language is centered on the word "intent", to which that stock is "inteded" to be used as a stock and shouldered. Plus, I do not see a reasonable way that you can modify that to truly qualify as a brace. All the braces that I have seen are rubber on the sides, which wrap around your wrist pretty snuggly. It's clear by their design that they are intended to be used that way.

No offense, but this is one of the dumbest questions i've seen on this forum. Better safe than sorry, so kudos for asking. But seriously, just don't do it. The ATF has made a pretty clear stance on even lightly modifying your brace (split fix for example). So in what logic would modifying a stock to be a brace be something you might consider?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom