• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are they even relevant in today's post covid antifa world? I haven't heard one policy statement or even an honorable mention from anyone besides this board. it's like they curled up and went poof...

Well, I still get their publications, their alert emails, and of course their requests to fund the PVF and ILA. They don't really need to make "policy statements" at the moment, because instead of it being about hair-splitting over some state-level bill or the like ... it's about doing everything necessary to prevent the national election of someone who has promised he will literally take guns away, nationally. And about maintaining the senate, without which we can kiss Heller and more goodbye as Schumer controls three or four SCOTUS replacements.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Love them or hate them they are the biggest bully in the room and we get to stand behind them. There’s no second place contender.
    Without the NRA we have no effective legislative voice.

The gun owning American people are the "biggest bully in the room". Hopefully they realize that someday. If we are willing to play politics then we are willing to conceded and "compromise" as we have done so far. Rights don't get restored, only taken with legislation.

The second place contender should be anyone who oposes the people and tries to infringe upon rights. You don't need a politician, lawyer or lobyist to protect the American people if the American people decide to have solidarity. the NRA is not a group who demands change and gets rights back. Every year there are more laws that infringe on the honest people who are never going to do wrong with a gun.
    The NRA can't protect from that but only slow it down, maybe. We have not yet hit a point where people feel to many rights have been taken so the people who take our rights continue on their path and our lobby groups like the NRA allow the erosion, why wouldn't they, they get paid. But let's face it, they can't stop the erosion. NRA..bump stocks.....sorry for the drift of thought. They can only offer the other side compromise. Compromise is giving something and after long enough there is nothing left to give. Hopefully we still have enough patriots left when they push to far.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    Serious question: What has the NRA done lately to protect my second amendment rights? Have they lobbied for the repeal of gun control laws? Have they filed lawsuits on behalf of citizens whose rights have been infringed?

I'm not saying they haven't done good things. But the perception is that they've done very little except be the "800 pound gun-toting gorilla" for the left to vilify, and sent lots of letters begging for money, presumably to buy Wayne LaPierre some new suits.

In the meantime, organizations like MSI and SAF will get my contributions instead of the NRA.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Serious question: What has the NRA done lately to protect my second amendment rights? Have they lobbied for the repeal of gun control laws? Have they filed lawsuits on behalf of citizens whose rights have been infringed?

I'm not saying they haven't done good things. But the perception is that they've done very little except be the "800 pound gun-toting gorilla" for the left to vilify, and sent lots of letters begging for money, presumably to buy Wayne LaPierre some new suits.

In the meantime, organizations like MSI and SAF will get my contributions instead of the NRA.
    For the past several years, I have sat beside multiple members of the NRA-ILA staff (Shannon/John/Dave) to testify on firearms legislation in Maryland.

Most recently, from a Maryland perspective, they heavily supported my organization's (MSRPA) case against "Good & Substantial", all the way to the steps of the Supreme Court (Malpasso v Pallozzi, cert denied June 15, 2020 - https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/malpasso-v-pallozzi/). Without their backing, MSRPA could not have afforded to keep the case going through the expensive litigation process.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    The short version

Wayne LaPierre has been accused of bribery, paying for votes and paying a fixer to rig elections to keep himself and his loyalist in power. He is also being accused of forcing out anyone who questioned where the money was going.

If true his actions could have violated several 501(c)(3) laws and regulations.

I know that was a thumbnail sketch, but if
    the actual substance is not much more than
    “Wayne did...”, it seems to me that HE is
    at risk, and the NRA board needs to go after him individually.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    For the past several years, I have sat beside multiple members of the NRA-ILA staff (Shannon/John/Dave) to testify on firearms legislation in Maryland.

Most recently, from a Maryland perspective, they heavily supported my organization's (MSRPA) case against "Good & Substantial", all the way to the steps of the Supreme Court (Malpasso v Pallozzi, cert denied June 15, 2020 - https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/malpasso-v-pallozzi/). Without their backing, MSRPA could not have afforded to keep the case going through the expensive litigation process.

Love them or hate them they are the biggest bully in the room and we get to stand behind them. There’s no second place contender.
    Without the NRA we have no effective legislative voice.

Then there is no effective legislative voice. They haven't been effective in quite some time. Too busy bickering amongst themselves and cowering in the corner when the Democrats waved the gun control flag at them.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    endorsing democrats

Do you mean, in the way that they rank ALL candidates from all parties, they rank some Democrats less harshly than other Democrats, because some are terrible on 2A, and some are less terrible? Those are rankings, not endorsements. Show me a case where the NRA actually endorsed a Democrat over a Republican opponent, let alone a pattern of doing so. Specifics, please.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    Lifetime membership or 5-year renewal

My NRA 5-year membership expires next year around this time. I was considering upgrading to lifetime membership now while the 60% discount is still being advertised, $600 dollars membership for life. But there is a longevity aspect that was not a concern back when I was a younger member with much less disposable income than I enjoy now. I'm talking about the longevity of the NRA and my longevity as a senior citizen. $600 will buy around 30-year's worth of 5-year renewals depending on discounts. So it would be like buying "term" NRA membership, shelling out around $100-$150 every 5 years. I'm also considering not renewing with the NRA and joining a different pro-2A organization.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/nra-...tional level groups discussed above,... More

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I signed life long ago. Yes, they putter around and squak some, BUT

They need to cut the overhead for the overprice board leeches. I hated them giving money to a Democrat lawyer to sell the NRA out. I throw away all mail now.

They are a cowering Target.

Edit:
    My Amazon smile is SAF

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    it would seem the NRA has some if not many faults. but keep in mind that all the libs, lefts, media etc always blame the NRA when gun control is blocked. and keep in mind it's in their (lefts, media etc) best interests to have the NRA go away, so they surely will overspin anything negative to dissuade members from continuing their support. let's not cut off our noses to spite our faces here.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I was a member of the Berwyn Rod and Gun club. Somewhere in the old posts here you can find the NRA's sorry history on that! The NRA will never see a dime until they expel the asshats in charge.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That podcast was painful listening. It’s insane a group that big has no checks and balances to gut the corruption and waste. We need a serious, independent BOD and a new leader. ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    it would seem the NRA has some if not many faults. but keep in mind that all the libs, lefts, media etc always blame the NRA when gun control is blocked. and keep in mind it's in their (lefts, media etc) best interests to have the NRA go away, so they surely will overspin anything negative to dissuade members from continuing their support. let's not cut off our noses to spite our faces here.

Same money different organization. I don't need to fund another Mansion for the NRA board.

The NRA is concerned with one thing....$$$...they fight just enough to keep the gun control issue alive so the $$$ keeps rolling in... if gun control was not an issue and the Second Amendment actually meant what it said National Rifle Association would be nothing more than another gun club providing firearm safety training and holding turkey shoots to raise funds. ASlong as they continue to endorse Democrats there's no way you can look at it at in any other fashion. The entire reason they endorsed Democrats is to keep the gun control issue alive because they know as soon as these so-called pro-second Amendment Democrats return to the legislature that they are elected to they will cave to their anti-second Amendment colleagues

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    The NRA is concerned with one thing....$$$...they fight just enough to keep the gun control issue alive so the $$$ keeps rolling in... if gun control was not an issue and the Second Amendment actually meant what it said National Rifle Association would be nothing more than another gun club providing firearm safety training and holding turkey shoots to raise funds. ASlong as they continue to endorse Democrats there's no way you can look at it at in any other fashion. The entire reason they endorsed Democrats is to keep the gun control issue alive because they know as soon as these so-called pro-second Amendment Democrats return to the legislature that they are elected to they will cave to their anti-second Amendment colleagues

So I’m not alone in feeling like it’s been turned into an extortion ring. Give us your money or you will lose your guns.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    So I’m not alone in feeling like it’s been turned into an extortion ring. Give us your money or you will lose your guns.

We can only loose our guns if we decide to give them away. Hopefully We The People won't allow them to be taken or give them away. It's really up to us. Not the NRA, not a politician and once enough people realize this they won't need the NRA or any overpaid lobbyist, lawyer or lobbyist group regardless of the acronym they are called.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We can only loose our guns if we decide to give them away. Hopefully We The People won't allow them to be taken or give them away. It's really up to us. Not the NRA, not a politician and once enough people realize this they won't need the NRA or any overpaid lobbyist, lawyer or lobbyist group regardless of the acronym they are called.

In a country of over 300,000,000 people, a national legislature of under 600 people simply can't interact directly with millions of individuals. It's why the First Amendment is so important: we are free to associate, assemble, and petition the government in organized ways. That's what large membership organizations and associations are for: so we can pool resources, and approach lawmakers in a coherent, unified way that doesn't look like the noise storm of 10 million emails or phone calls.

Many more people in this country think you shouldn't have a gun than think you should (if you want one). The "it's up to us" (as individuals) notion is, frankly, unworkably naive. It's why there are thousands of special interest groups: because there are hundreds of millions of people in this country, and those interested in something specific (like, say, preserving our right to self defense, or ... looking out for the motor sports industry, or making sure lawmakers understand the plumbing of the internet, etc) have to act in concert. And that requires organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom