• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It could also be an out of spec or improperly adjusted mag release.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Interesting twist, I think. Trying a few things and I noticed that if the top round is on the left of the mag, it will not lock in. If the top round is on the right is locks in fine. So I guess if I keep an even number of rounds I should have no problems. Though like others have said, there is a spec issue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting twist, I think. Trying a few things and I noticed that if the top round is on the left of the mag, it will not lock in. If the top round is on the right is locks in fine. So I guess if I keep an even number of rounds I should have no problems. Though like others have said, there is a spec issue.

Check you mag release button (on the starboard side). The screw should be less than flush with the button's surface. Any higher and it can cause mischief.

Attachments

• 20200916_174556.jpg
      20200916_174556.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 124

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Had this happen to me at a match the other day. Forgot the "30-round P-mags should only be loaded to 28" rule, and while a bit of friction prevented the mag from dropping right out, it was NOT seated well enough for a feed. This had a non-trivial impact on my time for that stage! But nothing cements that lesson like having yourself reminded of it (again!) on the match clock. For non-windowed mags, just load them 'til they're full, then strip two out. All better.

Definitely not the first and you won't be the last. When I'm holding the timer and I see a PMAG go up during an administrative reload, I always think, "hope they downloaded it or they smack the daylights outta it".

A few matches ago, the good doctor had her mag catch fail but she had the full PMAG bite her twice in earlier stages.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    I've had this issue with certain mag/lower/upper combos with a full mag. A firm smack would seat it and with an open bolt it would go in easily and lock. Why not just load the mag on an open bolt and call it a day?

You can't slap a female reporter on the backside anymore... but it is still acceptable to smack a magazine bottom with authority.

It is an easy fix but the finish would be filed down past the anodizing. It makes it too expensive to do. I would be better to sell it off.

When I held it up to the light, noticed that the area by the pivot pin was hitting but the area by the take down pin was up a 1/16 or so. Filed down the area by the pivot pin and the take down pin fits in but still too tight. Will do a little more filling to get it closer.

Thanks.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Hard to tell from that angle but try loosening one rotation. It's an easy thing to try before breaking out the file.

Thanks, I will adjust the mag release. I broke out the file to address the problem that the take down pin was not aligning properly. Still tight but much closer than it was before.

Thanks for the good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom