• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I know the majority of people don't like these guns, and they really are not that good of a gun in my opinion (with all the 2020 options), but before I shot some FN's (I found factory FN's to be even more agreeable to my hands) the XD fit and felt the best in my not so experienced hands many years ago. I shot some pre M&P S&W's, Glocks, and Sigs, and liked the XD the best.

Another 'error' I made was getting a .40, I liked that it had a lot of velocity, more then the 9mm and the .45, so I went for it. The poor choices of those at a young age, hindsight is 20/20. I should have opted into a .45 or a 9mm.

I have XD40 SA 4" model I bought in the beginning of 2013. I think I paid $550 for it. Over the years I probably have 10,000 rounds through her, it has only ever failed to bang twice in one range time. The striker spring was so gunked up it had soft hits on the bullet, which was easily remedied by simply cleaning the striker spring. I had let the gun sit a good while, so that is operator error, not gun error. Thanks to the Freedom Armory Gunsmith for finding and fixing that in just about two seconds of time.

I am not going to sell the gun, because I don't believe in selling guns, so I want to mod it. I dislike the trigger with all the take up it has, so I want to start with a trigger and some grips. I might also opt in for a 9mm kit for it, because I have seen them for sale for around $250.

Anyone here mod an XD into a running gun they could be proud of? Since the pistol market has exploded with guns that have amazing ergonomics this platform seems kind of meh to get into, but as I said, I already own it, I have many rounds through it, and I still like how it fits in my hand.

What do you guys think? Keep it stock, or hot rod her? I am leaning toward hot rod.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I bought an XD-45 years ago...it was far more natural feeling in my hand than a Glock. I also liked the grip safety. I put it in the safe and completely forgot about it...never got around to shooting it. My brother-in-law wanted it so I sold it to him. He loves it.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Very similar situation for me. An XD .45 was one of the first guns I bought years ago. Still love the way it feels in my hand compared to a glock, but I HATE the back strap safety. I have considered getting a hogue grip or something similar that keeps the safety depressed. Or wondered if it's possible to have it smithed so that it doesn't need to be engaged. I'm curious to hear if any other owners have done this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nothing wrong with an XD . They don't have interchangeable grip thingies , but if it fits you, non- issue .

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I like my XD .45 and love my XDm 9mm.
    Look up Powder River trigger kits. Night and day difference from stock! Not recommended for carry or home defense though, far too light a trigger pull.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    My XD9 SC is totally stock and does what it was intended for. My XD45 service was acquired used and was spanked. I ended up replacing the barrel(STORM LAKE), recoil spring and spring recalibration pack from XDparts. Both feel decent in my hand but overlays gave my 45 a perceived improved purchase experience. Both are very accurate if I do my part.
    I would recommend to replace the striker roll pin with a improved roll pin from XD parts if you mess with the striker spring rate.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    I have the XDm Competition 9, and an XDm 40. The 40 is my favorite. I don't love the price of ammo compared to 9mm, but it is a surprisingly soft shooter. Maybe that's because of the Streamlight flashlight on it adding some weight to the nose. Friends, women and men, love shooting it, and even newbies are surprisingly accurate with it. It just lines up well on the target. That probably makes no sense, but it's always a range favorite with friends and family.

My XDm Comp 9 has had light striker fire issues now and again. Maybe I need to clean up that striker spring as you mentioned--glad I happened on this thread today.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Before 2013 I never cared for striker fired handguns. Most of my handguns were C&R except some very nice Smith revolvers and a couple nice shooting 1911s. I also have the Ruger MkII .22. But when I was looking at getting a Utah permit and looking at carry guns, I happened to be at Stoney Creek with a friend and tried his XDs and was fairly impressed. Shooting off sandbags @ 25 yds I was able to shoot a group around 3 inches. Really good, I thought, for a 3.3 inch barrelled, lightweight "plastic gun". Right after making a purchase from an IP here, someone put up an XD 9 SC (double stack sub compact) in our classifieds which I also picked up ( transferred at Lou's place, may he rest in peace). While I was less impressed with the XD 9 SC than the XDs, I wasn't unimpressed and liked the idea of the larger cap mags that were about to be outlawed for sale. Not long after that, I came across an XDM 5.25" in 45 acp being sold by another member here with a very low round count and it had a Powder River Trigger installed. I was VERY impressed with the trigger pull on that so I bought that also. I liked that firearm enough, a couple years later I was able to pick up a lightly used 9mm XDM 5.35 Competition. I am very happy with all of them except the 9 SC which l, for me, us kinda just 'meh'. I have never minded the grip safety on any of them as I have shot 1911s for 30 years with them. In fact, I like the idea that the firearm can't be easily fired if it isn't properly gripped. As an old Bull Eye shooter, consistency of grip is only a bit less important as sight picture, and possibly more important than trigger feel (unless the trigger is super sucky), for consistent accurate shooting. I do have to say that the stock trigger on the XDM Competition in 9mm really is pretty good even though the Powder River Trigger on the 45 is a bit better and has a shorter faster reset. I do like the XD line in general more than Glock, Smith semi autos, and others. I think it is the grip angle and shape. When I show people firearms in the shop (I work at Scott's Gunsmithing) I usually point out that people tend to either like or hate the grip safety. Some like the idea, others aren't as sure, and to be fair, you probably can't tell how you would like it without actually shooting a firearm with it. I did do a quick check and Powder River does make a trigger for the regular XD. If it is even close to as good as the one I have in the XDM competition, it is a very worthwhile upgrade. Brownells had the trigger for around a hundred and a quarter. If you're not comfortable installing it yourself (it's not quite just a drop in), Scott's installs them for about 35 to 50 bucks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a time a good friend thought he wanted an XDm . Oh No , I explained , the gun rags and internet weren't really " research " , and the only proper way to make a selection was to actually shoot them . So we went to the range , and rented every .40 they had .

Not only did he shoot the XDm the best , but I shot the XDm the best . He really rubbed that in . But I did manage to convince him to get the 5.25 in .45 instead of .40 .

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Very similar situation for me. An XD .45 was one of the first guns I bought years ago. Still love the way it feels in my hand compared to a glock, but I HATE the back strap safety. I have considered getting a hogue grip or something similar that keeps the safety depressed. Or wondered if it's possible to have it smithed so that it doesn't need to be engaged. I'm curious to hear if any other owners have done this.

I don't understand the dislike of the grip safety. Why do you dislike the grip safety? I don't even notice it.

I also love 1911's, so maybe I am just someone who likes grip safeties?

Nothing wrong with an XD . They don't have interchangeable grip thingies , but if it fits you, non- issue .

I think talon sells grips for them if you want grips. I have also though about doing that to mine.

I have a XDm and XDs. They go bang every time.

I like my XD .45 and love my XDm 9mm.
    Look up Powder River trigger kits. Night and day difference from stock! Not recommended for carry or home defense though, far too light a trigger pull.

I disagree, by opinions are what they are. Weight of the trigger doesn't and shouldn't matter, like I said, IMO

My XD9 SC is totally stock and does what it was intended for. My XD45 service was acquired used and was spanked. I ended up replacing the barrel(STORM LAKE), recoil spring and spring recalibration pack from XDparts. Both feel decent in my hand but overlays gave my 45 a perceived improved purchase experience. Both are very accurate if I do my part.
    I would recommend to replace the striker roll pin with a improved roll pin from XD parts if you mess with the striker spring rate.

I would have to read up on spring rates and how the change a gun, or have a professional spec it out for me.

Before 2013 I never cared for striker fired handguns. Most of my handguns were C&R except some very nice Smith revolvers and a couple nice shooting 1911s. I also have the Ruger MkII .22. But when I was looking at getting a Utah permit and looking at carry guns, I happened to be at Stoney Creek with a friend and tried his XDs and was fairly impressed. Shooting off sandbags @ 25 yds I was able to shoot a group around 3 inches. Really good, I thought, for a 3.3 inch barrelled, lightweight "plastic gun". Right after making a purchase from an IP here, someone put up an XD 9 SC (double stack sub compact) in our classifieds which I also picked up ( transferred at Lou's place, may he rest in peace). While I was less impressed with the XD 9 SC than the XDs, I wasn't unimpressed and liked the idea of the larger cap mags that were about to be outlawed for sale. Not long after that, I came across an XDM 5.25" in 45 acp being sold by another member here with a very low round count and it had a Powder River Trigger installed. I was VERY impressed with the trigger pull on that so I bought that also. I liked that firearm enough, a couple years later I was able to pick up a lightly used 9mm XDM 5.35 Competition. I am very happy with all of them except the 9 SC which l, for me, us kinda just 'meh'. I have never minded the grip safety on any of them as I have shot 1911s for 30 years with them. In fact, I like the idea that the firearm can't be easily fired if it isn't properly gripped. As an old Bull Eye shooter, consistency of grip is only a bit less important as sight picture, and possibly more important than trigger feel (unless the trigger is super sucky), for consistent accurate shooting. I do have to say that the stock trigger on the XDM Competition in 9mm really is pretty good even though the Powder River Trigger on the 45 is a bit better and has a shorter faster reset. I do like the XD line in general more than Glock, Smith semi autos, and others. I think it is the grip angle and shape. When I show people firearms in the shop (I work at Scott's Gunsmithing) I usually point out that people tend to either like or hate the grip safety. Some like the idea, others aren't as sure, and to be fair, you probably can't tell how you would like it without actually shooting a firearm with it. I did do a quick check and Powder River does make a trigger for the regular XD. If it is even close to as good as the one I have in the XDM competition, it is a very worthwhile upgrade. Brownells had the trigger for around a hundred and a quarter. If you're not comfortable installing it yourself (it's not quite just a drop in), Scott's installs them for about 35 to 50 bucks

I am relatively mechanically inclined, would someone with some hand skills who is good with tools be able to slide it in? I don't have any serious gun smith work I have done, but I have tinkered a little with a few of my firearms. Everyone keeps bringing up the Powder River, so I think I will end up going with that.

Once upon a time a good friend thought he wanted an XDm . Oh No , I explained , the gun rags and internet weren't really " research " , and the only proper way to make a selection was to actually shoot them . So we went to the range , and rented every .40 they had .

Not only did he shoot the XDm the best , but I shot the XDm the best . He really rubbed that in . But I did manage to convince him to get the 5.25 in .45 instead of .40 .

You are a VERY good friend for 'making' him do that. I believe that is the only way to buy a gun.

I solidified my idea on this when my father and I rented a PPQ when they were only a few months old. The ergo doesn't work with me (and also my father) the gun and my hand do this weird think were I think I have squeezed off a round, and I haven't. This happened 2-3 times in a box of 50 ammo. So no buying that gun. I may revisit them again as this was a few years ago, maybe I have self corrected, as I assume the issue lies with me.

I have several XDs and XDMs. All have Powder River Precision kits, and all have been tuned by John Cardunner. Out of the box they were just fine, and now they're great. Much better ergonomics for me than Glocks, S&Ws, etc.

The ergonomics are superior to the big plastic gun brands, that's why I choose XD. I think they are outclassed by FN or HK, two pistol brands I LOVE.

Every time I get one of those in my hand it is just me visiting a little slice of heaven. I have fired more then a few and every time it is the same reaction.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got an XDM10 a few years ago. One of the few polymer, striker fired guns I've kept. Powder River trigger was installed, which is definitely an improvement. I got extra mags and carry bag for free as that was a special when I bought it. I have no complaints about it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have an XD-e in 9mm. It’s the DA/SA, hammer-fired country cousin of the striker fired XD family. Have since switched to carrying the more diminutive P365, but there’s nothing wrong with XDe. I shoot it well.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I have an XD-e in 9mm. It’s the DA/SA, hammer-fired country cousin of the striker fired XD family. Have since switched to carrying the more diminutive P365, but there’s nothing wrong with XDe. I shoot it well.

I didn't even shoot the P365, I dry fired the trigger, and as with most Sig stuff, I did not like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom