• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Hi All,

Someone suggested that my buddy go to the Gun show to find a gun he likes and buy it. This is my buddies first hand gun. I disagree with that advice. I think you should know exactly which gun(s) you want before you go to the gun show. At least have a list of guns and then hold each to see which one feels best in your hand. Do you agree that you should not go to the gun show without specific guns in mind?

I suggested his first gun be a Glock 17. Looking for your advice on the best first gun. It will be used for entertainment and house protection.

I suspect the popular guns (Glock 17) will be hard to find at the gun show or being sold at a premium.

Thanks All,
    Eric

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Lucky for your friend, we are truly in the golden age of firearms, especially when it comes to handgun choice.

Most any polymer framed striker fired handgun will provide your friend with a reliable and solid platform. I am a Glock guy myself, but I also have many others.

It makes no difference if he goes to a gun show or a gun store... at the end of they day he's still going to be talking to someone across the counter about whatever gun(s) they have available.

Your buddy is also buying his first handgun at possibly the worst time in US history so far. Stocks are very limited, prices are high (for everything), and his choice will be dependent on whatever the store or gun show has. Perhaps he will have a better chance at finding something at a gun show, though.

My suggestion is that you and your friend go to a range where he can rent a few different handguns and then he can make his decision based on what he shoots more naturally. Most anything will reliably go bang these days...

In my opinion, if he comes across any of the following models, tell him to buy it and then train and practice with it:

- Glock 17 or 19
    - HK VP9
    - Walther PPQ
    - CZ P10C or P10F
    - Sig P320
    - FN 509 or FNS-9
    - Smith & Wesson M&P
    - Beretta APX
    - Springfield XD
    - Canik TP9
    - Ruger Security 9

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I often hear that you should shoot all of your potential gun choices (range rental, friends, etc.) before making a purchase. If you are only going to have one gun, I can get on board with that. If it’s a “first” gun which implies that more will follow, I think you can be a little bit more flexible. I don’t think you learn the nuances of your own preferences from a few rounds of testing. I think that takes time. Find a gun that fits your hand well, makes you smile, and is actually available at a price you can live with. Buy it, shoot it, and learn a lot that you will apply to your next gun purchase(s). A gun show may have the variety of stock to accomplish that.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    To some extent I agree. I just don't want him to find a Eric Point 9mm that fits great in his hand and has an appealing price tag. I would rather that he get used to a handgun that is easier to clean, has better aftermarket support, is more reliable...

I can point a Glock at a target faster than other guns because of its flat grip. I just point my non-trigger finger, thumb at the target and I am pretty much where I want to be. I find my Sig has a better grip for my hand (more comfortable) but it does not point as well because the grip is more rounded. I would pick the Sig for comfort (and slow shooting accuracy) and the Glock for speed.

Thanks for your input!

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    My suggestion is that you and your friend go to a range where he can rent a few different handguns and then he can make his decision based on what he shoots more naturally. Most anything will reliably go bang these days...

+1
    The rental fee is usually around $20/hour for most hand guns and you may switch guns as much as you’d like for no additional charge. I can't speak for all but this seems to be the going rate for all maryland indoor gun ranges.

To some extent I agree. I just don't want him to find a Eric Point 9mm that fits great in his hand and has an appealing price tag. I would rather that he get used to a handgun that is easier to clean, has better aftermarket support, is more reliable...

I can point a Glock at a target faster than other guns because of its flat grip. I just point my non-trigger finger, thumb at the target and I am pretty much where I want to be. I find my Sig has a better grip for my hand (more comfortable) but it does not point as well because the grip is more rounded. I would pick the Sig for comfort (and slow shooting accuracy) and the Glock for speed.

Thanks for your input!

This is why I'm a big H&K fan. Everyone's hands are different.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County

Excellent point. You should arm him with a list of viable choices based on the points you mention. I think it’s hard to go wrong with the big names these days.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    step 1:. go to range that rents guns
    step 2 rent and shoot as many as you can (alternately, plan a range day with a friend with a wide collection of different guns)
    step 3 the one that is most comfy in the hand with controls he can reach that he shoots best is the winner

any other suggestions like "buy this or buy that" are bull. you will be getting advice of what that person likes or shoots well.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    I advocate shopping at local gun shops. There are many good ones, and if there's ever a customer service issue w/ the weapon a local shop will likely be able to help getting it resolved. Find a recommended local shop and try that, in my opinion. Oh yeah, I am not a gun shop owner, and I don't work in the industry. Just saying that overall I've had good experiences with local shops.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    This is why I'm a big H&K fan. Everyone's hands are different.

I shoot my HK VP9 measurably better than any of my other handguns. I can reliably hit a standard steel silhouette target with just irons at 100 yards with about 90% consistency. I'm about half/half with my other pistols.

I shoot my Sig p320 the worst. If anyone has a Gen 5 glock 19, i'd be down for a trade...

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I hear what you are all saying about going to the range and trying guns. I think that is great advice. I think it might be better advice to someone that has already shot 1000's of rounds (which doesn't take long). We are talking about a brand new shooter that probably doesn't have the ability to discern the differences between the guns. My logic is to suggest a gun that can be used to learn with and he will adapt to the gun. Later in his shooting life he can try different guns and have a baseline for comparison. With that in mind, I would push for a gun with a great reputation that has after market support, is easy to clean and can be resold for a reasonable price.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I hear what you are all saying about going to the range and trying guns. I think that is great advice. I think it might be better advice to someone that has already shot 1000's of rounds (which doesn't take long). We are talking about a brand new shooter that probably doesn't have the ability to discern the differences between the guns. My logic is to suggest a gun that can be used to learn with and he will adapt to the gun. Later in his shooting life he can try different guns and have a baseline for comparison. With that in mind, I would push for a gun with a great reputation that has after market support, is easy to clean and can be resold for a reasonable price.

Reminds me of myself talking to my daughter when she was shopping for her first car. :thumbsup:

of course, she patiently listened to everything I said and then went the complete opposite... :cool:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I realize i may not be answering the question 100% , but there is no gun show loop-hole where you go to a gun show and buy a gun . In the state of Maryland lots of thing have to happen to buy guns , i just want to let the looky lou's and MDA to understand how it is done here .

Now for buying guns it is always great to talk with friends or rent guns first , but what i do is buy guns if i like them at first glance and if i don't like them afterward i let them stay in the safe . I have a few guns i don't carry anymore because i don't care for them as much .

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I see your point and mostly agree, however, there is a psychological component to shooting as well, whether real or perceived.

If a specific handgun feels better, resulting in greater confidence from a novice shooter, I'd argue that it is a better overall fit for that person.

Nothing wrong with a Glock and it's what I recommend to pretty much everyone, but the truth is that most any modern pistols are going to perform well beyond the conditions that your friend (or any of us) will likely ever subject it to.

Also, looks are subjective. This is the lowest priority item, but all else being equal, if he likes the way a certain pistol looks over another and it's a proven platform, let him get what he likes.

And just because a Glock points naturally for you, that does not mean it will translate to someone else. I notice that after shooting my Sig or Beretta, that my natural POA is totally off on my glock until I readjust to it.

Any grip angle will become natural after a little practice.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    To find the gun my buddy wanted, he went to a local indoor range and tried all their 9s then he went to a club his brother joined and tried a few there and found the gun he liked most (Sig p220) and he loves his gun. I didn't do that, I just bought one on sale at bass pro and knew I didn't like glocks after shooting a few. There isn't one single way to buy a pistol, but I would advise against mine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Except for the Ranges that charge by the Gun , and not flat rate to swap out :( .

Most of the discussion has been about gun shopping in * Normal * times , not Right Now . And taking a wild but educated supposition that first time buyers , not previously shooters Right Now have at least one of their primary parameters to repell boarders from the family homestead during the course of the current Zombie Apocalypse , and the going to get worse before it gets better civil unrest , and deteriorating basic rule of law .

People w/o any prior experience or skills will need training and practice.

Certain calibers , ammunition is not available Right Now . 9mm , .380 , only slightly less so . 38spl . Either not at all , ot serious scalper prices . At $60/ box , they might load up the gun , and spare magazine ,but nobody is realistically going to spend the initial price of the gun for a practice session or two ammount of ammo .

Meanwhile , .22lr, .32acp, .357 Mag, .40s&w, 10mm, and .45acp are comparitively available at only 50% - ish markups .

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    step 2 rent and shoot as many as you can (alternately, plan a range day with a friend with a wide collection of different guns)
    step 3 the one that is most comfy in the hand with controls he can reach that he shoots best is the winner

any other suggestions like "buy this or buy that" are bull. you will be getting advice of what that person likes or shoots well.

+1. Lots of ranges rent guns, but they don't carry all the same ones. I tried several ranges with many options before I made a choice.

Using your friends toys allows you a broader range of test subjects and they can give you the ins and outs of each one.

The culmination of your trials should be what you can shoot the straightest the most frequently. Just going to a show he can get something, but it may not be the 'best' option for him.

Mighty Joboo

Sep 15, 2020

Absolutely this. The only thing I'd try and help him narrow down is the price range. Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a full-sized competition pistol but I'm not shelling out $1500+ at the moment. Find what's comfy, but within a reasonable budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom