What's your straight walled cartridge deer rig?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I know this might belong in "The Depot" but since this is hunting specific, I'm posting here.

Is anyone planning to take advantage of the new firearms regulations this year? I was very supportive of the change.

My Mossberg 500 has been finicky the past couple of seasons, so I decided to retire it and move away from using a shotgun this year.

I already had a Marlin 1894 .44 mag lever rifle so I'm going to use it this year. I just put a Leupold 1.5x4-20 scope on it to make it a little more useful as a deer gun. This was my first time mounting a scope and yes, I got blue locktite everywhere haha.

Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish --specific product

EGW Marlin 1894 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 0 -- rail/mount I used

Monstrum Slim Profile Series Offset Cantilever Picatinny Scope Mount | 1 inch Diameter | Black --- scope rings I used.

The scope is sitting a little too high now so I either need to put a chin rest on the stock or get a lower profile scope ring set. I'm going to test it at the range asap.

I'm interested in what others are thinking about using this season. :party29:

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Just picked up a Ruger American bolt gun in 350 Legend from Anglers. With a 16" barrel it is short and light, looks like a youth firearm. I know I am jumping on the bandwagon but it just makes sense. No more searching all around for overpriced sabot slugs, no more mule kicking recoil and no more lugging around a heavy H&R slug gun. I support this rule change 100%. I also support the night time coyote hunt all year round. That needed to happen. Good luck to everyone this season.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If I went to a SW county I would do the same and use the 1894 I have.
    I use the 1894 sometimes in a crooked neck county for woods hunting already so I don't need another cartridge.
    if I Didnt have a SW cartridge rifle, I would probably still choose a 44 just for the amount of bullet types-offerings already available + I have a 44 pistol.
    If they will allow one to hunt with a pistol in a SW county now, Thats what I would get if i already had a HP cartridge rifle for going elsewhere in the state to hunt deer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have a plethora , but for rifle , probably the Win M94 .45Colt that belonged to Late Best Friend , as a tribute .

As pistol ,probably .45 Bisley .

Meanwhile , while everyone else is selling off to get .350 Legends , I've been accumulating 20ga slug guns .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your fully rifled 12ga fills your needs, by all means carry on . The downside is not being able to participate in the Primative Weapon seasons .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    92 clone in 44 mag would be my straight wall. Beyond that so many choices, sks, mosin carbine, M70 win, mauser, 03a3, Garand and others but I'm seriously thinking 1847 Walker.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I have my old standby Encore 45/70 barrel, as a back up I have my Encore 460 S&W barrel. With the 460 S&W barrel, I can use 45 Colt and 454 Casull rounds.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    If your fully rifled 12ga fills your needs, by all means carry on . The downside is not being able to participate in the Primative Weapon seasons .

No straight wall for primitive season. Primitive Deer Hunt Days

Hunters may only use long bows, recurve bows or flintlock and sidelock percussion muzzleloaders during these days.
    The use of draw-locks and telescopic or other electronic aiming devices are prohibited.
    Antlered white-tailed deer taken with a bow during the Primitive Deer Hunt Days will count towards the regular antlered archery bag limit.
    Antlered white-tailed deer taken with a muzzleloader during the Primitive Deer Hunt Days will count towards the regular antlered muzzleloader bag limit.
    All deer hunters must wear fluorescent color clothing during the Primitive Deer Hunt Days.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    A 45-70 Henry and a 50 caliber S&W Magnum Research BRF Revolver. Using the revolver this year I have been pretty accurate the more I shoot it. Down to about 3 inch groups at 50 yards. The real problem is not so much the recoil but holding almost 6 pounds straight out. I use open sites because they never fail and do not use shooting sticks.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Not likely to hunt in md with it but would likely go 45-70 or 44 in a rifle. Maybe .454, 41, or 44 for a handgun. Could do .357 or 10mm and it will do it but I prefer a bit more power if available.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I'll bite..
    Savage Axis left hand, 350 Legend. Timney trigger (set to 3 lb), Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40, Leupold Back Country Medium rings. Shoots better than I do..

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    50 Beowulf AR15. Just got my hunting license for the first time this year. We'll see how things go...

Big fan of the straight wall cartridge rule change too, by the way. Kind of shocked that MD made a good decision for once.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Mine is a old Marlin 444 , Straight stock with a Weaver 2.5X scope . She's the second hunting rifle I ever bought and it was from a coworker that said his wife said it had to go because they were having a baby and he won't be able to hurt anymore .

RedneckGeek

Feb 28, 2018
    Worcester Co
    Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt with the Buffalo Bore 260 gr 'Deer Grenade' +P ammo. It got the job done in Michigan when I couldn't get to the Upper Peninsula for hunting. Can't see why this combo wouldn't work in the straight wall areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom