• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NINJASNIPER

Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore Maryland
    Just curious, I pass through Virginia a lot and other states I travel to reciprocate Virginia’s concealed carry permits as well. How difficult is it to get one as a non resident? It will be my first permit besides the license to buy a handgun in the communist state of MD so almost any advice will be helpful, thanks

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Just curious, I pass through Virginia a lot and other states I travel to reciprocate Virginia’s concealed carry permits as well. How difficult is it to get one as a non resident? It will be my first permit besides the license to buy a handgun in the communist state of MD so almost any advice will be helpful, thanks

NRA basic pistol course and couple weeks turn around as long as you qualify.

NINJASNIPER

Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore Maryland
    I looked on their website and said they take hunter safety course which I have taken, just requested a new one since my old one is so worn out. The website made it seem like it was a complicated process so I figured turn to you guys for help

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I looked on their website and said they take hunter safety course which I have taken, just requested a new one since my old one is so worn out. The website made it seem like it was a complicated process so I figured turn to you guys for help ������

I recently renewed my VA NR permit.

Go to the VA State Police Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits website:

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Follow the instructions. All you're doing is sending them an email, providing them with the info they need to send an application package to your home. Upon receiving the package fill out the application and get the fingerprint card done. Had mine done at the Laurel MD Police Dept. They do the prints electronically then transfer them to the card. Mail the package to them including your passport sized photo, money order and copy of your proof of training.

They've been receiving a lot of requests lately due to the change in the political climate in VA so the turn around is longer than usual. I sent my renewal package to them on Nov 8th and didn't receive my card until Feb 15th so have patience and don't worry. You can call Mrs. Lucas at the number provided on the website and she'll update you on the progress of your application when she's available.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Just renewed mine as well. I had my prints done at Worth A Shot and Virginia accepted them.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I hadn't bothered to investigate this because I thought it required a recent, in person handgun course. An existing hunting license is a whole other story. Thanks to OP and those answering for educating me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I hadn't bothered to investigate this because I thought it required a recent, in person handgun course. An existing hunting license is a whole other story. Thanks to OP and those answering for educating me.

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Documentation_of_Competence
    The language is very broad... your HQL training course, if you have HQL should be ok too. I think the Utah 4 hour class would suffice as well and indeed a lot of instructors offer combined class.

Documentation of Competence with a Handgun

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.

Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.

Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.

Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.

Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.

Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.

Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Documentation_of_Competence
    The language is very broad... your HQL training course, if you have HQL should be ok too. I think the Utah 4 hour class would suffice as well and indeed a lot of instructors offer combined class.

They still currently take electronic or video courses as well, but there are bills to kill that. You can use the free online gun safety video that MD used to require for regulated purchases or the similar video that DC currently requires.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Back in the day I used the training card Md gave you for watching the 20 minute video. Renewing ever since. If I let my permit expire I’d have to take a basic pistol course.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Back in the day I used the training card Md gave you for watching the 20 minute video. Renewing ever since. If I let my permit expire I’d have to take a basic pistol course.

Having previously held a VA carry permit counts as a training requirement, unless it's been revoked for cause.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line

This. Utah classes often include fingerprints, so getting another set of cards for VA should be easy. If you ever go to Delaware, they recognize Utah but not Virginia so that would be another bonus.

Quadtree

May 19, 2020
    Effective January 1, 2021, the Virginia State Police will no longer accept online course certificates showing proof of competency for the purposes of obtaining a Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit. Any application containing an online certificate, that is not postmarked prior to January 1, 2021, will be returned to sender unprocessed.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    This. Utah classes often include fingerprints, so getting another set of cards for VA should be easy. If you ever go to Delaware, they recognize Utah but not Virginia so that would be another bonus.

My son lives in Delaware I have a Non-res Utah and contrary to popular belief only resident Utah CCW are good in DE

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    i looked at the Delaware Attorney General's page and it wasn't exactly crystal clear. The first paragraph is confusing with all of the "citizens of other states" verbiage. I take that to mean that a non-resident permit issued to a Delaware resident by another state was not valid. IANAL.

Code:
    Delaware Recognition of Permits By Other States To Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons Issued To Residents Of Other States

Delaware recognizes licenses or permits to carry concealed deadly weapons issued by other states to the citizens of other states where those states honor Delaware licenses to carry concealed deadly weapons, afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware, and do not evidence a pattern of issuing licenses or permits to convicted felons. Some states issue multiple levels of permits or licenses; only those meeting the above requirements will be recognized in Delaware and a notation of the recognized permits appears with the state below.

Persons possessing a recognized license or permit to carry a concealed deadly weapon issued by one of the states listed may lawfully possess a concealed deadly weapon while in Delaware. Such persons are subject to and responsible for knowing and obeying all Delaware laws and regulations applicable to carrying or possessing of deadly weapons.

For the period from January 15, 2020 to January 14, 2021, Delaware recognizes the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by following states:
    ALASKA
    ARIZONA
    ARKANSAS
    COLORADO
    FLORIDA
    IDAHO (Enhanced Permits Only)
    KANSAS

KENTUCKY
    MAINE
    MICHIGAN
    MISSOURI
    NEW MEXICO
    NORTH CAROLINA
    NORTH DAKOTA (Class 1 permits only)

OHIO
    OKLAHOMA
    SOUTH DAKOTA (Enhanced Permits Only)
    TENNESSEE
    TEXAS
    UTAH
    WEST VIRGINIA

https://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/criminal/concealed-carry-deadly-weapons-ccdw/http://

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom