• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    I picked up a rare Savage .380 in nickel a couple of years ago, I've been looking for one in .32 for sometime, snagged one at auction over the weekend, this one came out of an old collector's estate. The pistol was produced in the year 1918 (102 years old) so it's one of the last thick serrated slide model 1907s produced. The pistol has a bit of dried oil on the internals so I've got some cleaning to do overall finish of the pistol looks good no noticeable peeling or flaking which for a 102-year-old nickel-plated pistol is pretty incredible.

All records indicate that Savage only nickel plated around 650 pistols divided equally between the two calibers in their entire production run over 20 years, there a lot of aftermarket nickel jobs on Savages out there that people have had done after the pistols left the factory so when you're hunting for one you have to be very careful. This particular pistol has the last three digits of the serial number inscribed on the breach block and slide, it said that Savage did this to indicate each component belonged to a particular frame, this was supposedly due to a tolerance issue after plating the components to ensure the pistols were squared up properly. This is not however the case 100% of the time for example my .380's components are not individually serialized but the pistol lettered as a nickel plated pistol from Savage. I hope to have better pictures soon.
    f3c9da792c700d7a4ae35b84b84592b6.jpg
    3020af76524a714d7188b70da983b5d5.jpg
    6af0ac33fd2dd7f230d219e613686681.jpg
    c66a1aaa600e2eaeb9ebc31624b81335.jpg
    c412df619c194fb8f97954c2544d29ab.jpg
    5a6be9bcb58765807bc38cbeb2ef7356.jpg
    2a7acc1f7a374f290b91dd4308ea08f1.jpg
    c410d17d64238bb3206649ad53e794f2.jpg
    139466c354379b1a8baf32b7ae255b2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    SHINEY! Just kidding great find. I had no idea any were nickel plated from factory. I have a standard blue model. Congrats

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    SHINEY! Just kidding great find. I had no idea any were nickel plated from factory. I have a standard blue model. Congrats
    Thanks, an original nickel Savage is rare, so few left the factory (325) with the finish and it's unknown how many are out there today. I was happy to find one in .32 to go with my 380 1914 production.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations on a rare find! The second I saw the thread title I knew who the OP was. I can only imagine just how long and hard this search was. I can't ever remember seeing a genuine factory plated Savage auto. As you noted there are non-factory examples and they're rarely anything but horrible. Can't imagine them functioning well with the changes in tolerances post plating.
    Also interesting to see the "thick" slide serration version sold in 1918. Makes me wonder if the parts with their special tolerances were produced early in the production run of the 1907 and then assembled and sold on a special order basis.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Congratulations on a rare find! The second I saw the thread title I knew who the OP was. I can only imagine just how long and hard this search was. I can't ever remember seeing a genuine factory plated Savage auto. As you noted there are non-factory examples and they're rarely anything but horrible. Can't imagine them functioning well with the changes in tolerances post plating.
    Also interesting to see the "thick" slide serration version sold in 1918. Makes me wonder if the parts with their special tolerances were produced early in the production run of the 1907 and then assembled and sold on a special order basis.
    Thanks I guess it's called being at the right place at the time. Unfortunately I'm not sure this one will ever make it home. It was shipped from a very small town in Arkansas on 09/17, received at the PO at 11:51 on Thursday and departed the PO at 4:07, it had a delivery ETA on Monday 09/21 by 8:00PM. After the ETA passed the PO updated the record to reflect:

September 20, 2020
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

There has been no updates or scans done on the package since 09/20. It was shipped. USPS priority 3 day insured. I've opened a claim, they won't process the claim until after 30 days. I don't have much faith in the USPS, they can tell me nothing.

I'll have to wait and see, I'll let you know the final results but I think the trail is getting cold.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Regarding the thick searations vs thin, they transitioned from thick to thin in 1919 so thick for that serial number and 1918 production year would be correct.

What would be more interesting to me is the inconsistencies with Savage regarding plating practices regarding the serialization of small parts. I have a 1914 (very early prod of the .380) production .380 factory nickel that has no serialized parts other than the frame and letters as a factory nickel.

Jul 1, 2012
    Man, I hope you get the USPS package... I've had some "3-day Priority" go cold for a week or so and suddenly pop up.
    I've had good luck calling my local postmaster and having them initiate a search, vice waiting 30 days for a lost package.
    Their process seems to be different than if you call the main USPS help/customer service.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Regarding the thick searations vs thin, they transitioned from thick to thin in 1919 so thick for that serial number and 1918 production year would be correct.

What would be more interesting to me is the inconsistencies with Savage regarding plating practices regarding the serialization of small parts. I have a 1914 (very early prod of the .380) production .380 factory nickel that has no serialized parts other than the frame and letters as a factory nickel.

Agree.

I have a thick serration nickel 32 with matching numbers on the frame, slide, bolt, that letters non-nickel from Savage (silent on finish). The nickel plating looks original to me. Stamp edges have the same profile as other blued Savages I have which makes me think the plating is original. I'd like to see more of the OP's photos to compare.

I've seen some online comments about Savage records not being so accurate but IDK that for a fact.

I do have a thing for the Savage 32; IIRC 17 variants and I'm about 1/3'ds there.

I reckon USPS will deliver in the end.

And again to the OP; kindly post more photos when received.

Contemplate Savage marketing 100 years ago, 10 shots quick with a focus on females protecting themselves from thugs.

Apparently, some things never change.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    The pictures of the pistol in parts scared me.

I love my 1917 French Army ‘07 (identifiable
    by the lanyard ring) but, I hate breaking it
    down because it can be a bear to
    reassemble, and some of the parts are
    very delicate and not so easy to replace.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Hope USPS comes through. Every carrier I deal with at work is a mess right now. Lost and mis-routed freight, overdue packages, you name it. If you think anyone will have confidence in the results of an election based on mail-in ballots good luck with that.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Hope USPS comes through. Every carrier I deal with at work is a mess right now. Lost and mis-routed freight, overdue packages, you name it. If you think anyone will have confidence in the results of an election based on mail-in ballots good luck with that.
    I've thought the exact same thing regarding ballots, even mentioned it to a counter attendant at the PO the other day, of course she had the answer comparing the service on this single package item versus bulk mailing of the ballots, the answer was sorting machines would handle the ballots fast and accurately. It's not the machinery I'm so much concerned about as it is the dishonest employees!

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    The pictures of the pistol in parts scared me.

I love my 1917 French Army ‘07 (identifiable
    by the lanyard ring) but, I hate breaking it
    down because it can be a bear to
    reassemble, and some of the parts are
    very delicate and not so easy to replace.
    Actually disassembling isn't that difficult, there are a lot of YouTube videos on the subject. Just do the basic field strip and don't bother taking the breach bock assembly apart there are too many tiny parts it could end up being lost on the floor.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Fingers crossed, thanks for the encouragement ;)

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Agree.

I have a thick serration nickel 32 with matching numbers on the frame, slide, bolt, that letters non-nickel from Savage (silent on finish). The nickel plating looks original to me. Stamp edges have the same profile as other blued Savages I have which makes me think the plating is original. I'd like to see more of the OP's photos to compare.

I've seen some online comments about Savage records not being so accurate but IDK that for a fact.

I do have a thing for the Savage 32; IIRC 17 variants and I'm about 1/3'ds there.

I reckon USPS will deliver in the end.

And again to the OP; kindly post more photos when received.

Contemplate Savage marketing 100 years ago, 10 shots quick with a focus on females protecting themselves from thugs.

Apparently, some things never change.
    The records basically consist of the ledger books showing serial numbers date of manufacturer, ship date and company name, finish and caliber, always recorded by hand not always a hundred percent accurate things got reversed and sometimes lost in the translation & recording process.

Sounds like your's is legit would love to see some pictures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom