What's a Good Bolt Gun Caliber In-between 243 and 308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eagledriver

Jan 13, 2013
    Mt Airy, South sorta
    With the money you save by NOT buying another rifle of a different caliber, buy a case of ammo for each the the calibers you have and maybe someone will have targets and cleaning supplies on sale at the same time. Sounds like much more fun to me... Less weight to lug around as well.
    Cheers!

Slimster22

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Balt Co
    I have an old M77 MKII in 25-06 in very nice condition. It is a laser beam, puts holes in holes. I'm no competition shooter or expert marksman at all, just been a hunter my whole life. Recoil is nothing I ever even thought much about with this rifle, so I guess it isn't bad. Also, no issue ever finding ammo. Much to the contrary, I've found in this era of empty shelves, one of the only things left on them is 25-06.

I agree with the other comments, that you are pretty much covered for anything in this ball park of talent anyway. I'd probably expand to a larger caliber like 300 win mag or above if I were in your position.

Finally,.... buy all of them. They are all beautiful in their own way. When I go hunting from year to year, I just reach for whatever is calling out to me from the cabinet that year. Keeps life interesting. Side note, I find if a guitar or gun is too pretty or perfect, I don't keep it for too long. I seem to keep standard or kinda nice guns that aren't museum pieces, but have something a little unique about them. Let's face it, we like to have functional things, but we also like them to be a fun conversation when we have down time sitting around with our peers.

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    Bolt Gun Rec

I was in the same boat recently and went with the 7mm-08. The round performs better (imo) on game animals under 300 yards that its peers (6.5 c) and can run a cartridge at 150 grains

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Ive never shot a .243 but my brother and cousin hunt with them. I have a .308 and it took me a year to keep my eyes open shooting it. As always stay safe. Unless your bear hunting you can anything will work. Figure out which youre most accurate with and call it a day!

Dec 30, 2015
    I am leaning towards a 7mm Rem mag or 300 Win mag. If 7mm mag is sufficient, I would rather go that route. Still thinking it over.

I have a 280 Rem, 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag. Since I reload, I can stock up on 7mm bullets of all weights and be covered for about anything short of African big game.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I have always used my 30-06 for hunting, target, and just plinking. The 7mm is almost the same as the 30-06, yet the ammo for it can be readily obtained at various prices. You can get 20 dollar box for plinking or 60 dollar box for Elk, or bear. I also have the 308 which doesn't kick as much but if i'm out at 250 yds I want that little extra the 30-06 brings to the table. I've also learned to not have to many different calibers in order to have extra stock on hand, just in case. Hope this was helpful.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    Go with the 25-06. I have been shooting one for over 25 years and have shot everything from Sika deer, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, prairie dogs, coyotes and so on. It has very mild recoil, will easily shoot out to 500 yards and is deadly accurate. I have several different rifles, but my favorite is my Sako. Do yourself a favor and read up on it.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    In past couple of years, I have seen many old farmers, with their trusty .243, or .30-06, or any other old school cartridge, switching to the 6.5 CM.

I have seen many gun raffle/feed winners, when winning a gun in their choice of caliber, have been choosing 6.5CM a lot more.

The 6.5CM is proving to be a great all around cartridge. From the 95gr. Hornady V-Max used on groundhogs and coyotes, to the different 130gr. that can used on about everything else.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Another good one is 30/40 Krag.
    Because it’s 30 cal. Theirs tons of bullets available and it’s so easy to load for accuracy I’m surprised it’s not more popular.
    Ammo and brass is usually only seasonal any longer these days.
    I load with Hornady 180’s for some sporters used for hunting where I have an option to Either field or woods sit.
    I think if I ever bought a no1 rifle it would either be in 30/40 or 7x57.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because in the minds of 98% of shooters ( that have heard of the Krag ctg , they think it's " almost as powerful as .308 Win , but with very hard to find, expensive ammo .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Because in the minds of 98% of shooters ( that have heard of the Krag ctg , they think it's " almost as powerful as .308 Win , but with very hard to find, expensive ammo .

I love shooting my 30/40 but I do it for nostalgia mostly and all the bullets I have for my 06 are interchangeable. Brass ain't cheap and they seem to stretch out pretty quickly.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

Its everywhere these days nearly with nearly every topic especially with young people, they think or hear but don't really know because they haven't done or actually tried.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .30-40 is a fine caliber . Up thru WWII it was probably actually hunted with as much or more than .30-06 . ( Surplus Krags vs top $ new mfg rifles )

But it's very unlikely to make a widespread comeback .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .30-40 is a fine caliber . Up thru WWII it was probably actually hunted with as much or more than .30-06 . ( Surplus Krags vs top $ new mfg rifles )

But it's very unlikely to make a widespread comeback .

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    After replacing the trigger on my Model 700 .308 bolt action with a Timmy I’ve never really had a desire to go with any other caliber bolt action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom