• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Okay, I haven't bought a regulated firearm in Maryland since 2013 - and a lot has changed. I want a Dan Wesson .45 "Commander" - but I haven't settled on which one. I have a trip to Tennessee this Christmas where I have a private shooting area at my parents house. My plan is to run in my new .45 while I'm there.

I did my live scan on September 30. I have a DD214 so I'm training exempt (I don't know why, but I'll take it) and I submitted my HQL application - still unchecked on October 10th.

Local inventory appears to be pretty much wiped out - so I've been shopping around on-line. I'm going to need to get my HQL, find a gun I want to buy, make sure it's on the approved list (that is very confusing and inconsistent on how firearms are listed) find a dealer to do the transfer and have the paperwork sent, wait for delivery for the FFL, submit he 77R - wait for the 7+ days. I'm just glad I'm don't "Need" a gun - I just want another one. Hopefully I can take possession before my trip. I know MD is a blue state, but we've got to find a way to vote these people that want to take our rights away out.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/q/dan wesson 45

shipping is easy. Create an account on buds. When you buy at buds, select the preferred FFL nearest you.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Okay, I haven't bought a regulated firearm in Maryland since 2013 - and a lot has changed. I want a Dan Wesson .45 "Commander" - but I haven't settled on which one. I have a trip to Tennessee this Christmas where I have a private shooting area at my parents house. My plan is to run in my new .45 while I'm there.

I did my live scan on September 30. I have a DD214 so I'm training exempt (I don't know why, but I'll take it) and I submitted my HQL application - still unchecked on October 10th.

Local inventory appears to be pretty much wiped out - so I've been shopping around on-line. I'm going to need to get my HQL, find a gun I want to buy, make sure it's on the approved list (that is very confusing and inconsistent on how firearms are listed) find a dealer to do the transfer and have the paperwork sent, wait for delivery for the FFL, submit he 77R - wait for the 7+ days. I'm just glad I'm don't "Need" a gun - I just want another one. Hopefully I can take possession before my trip. I know MD is a blue state, but we've got to find a way to vote these people that want to take our rights away out.

Check which DW Commander models are on the MD handgun roster. A number aren't, including the Vigil Commander in 45 ACP in the picture below (iirc the Vigil Commander with the threaded barrel is on the roster). My LGS is petitioning the handgun roster board to add the model below, but I think they next meet in December.

Attachments

• DW and Colt Commanders.jpg
      DW and Colt Commanders.jpg
      109.6 KB · Views: 405

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Yes the Vigil Commander with the threaded barrel is on the list, the model without is not on the list.
    VIGIL 01830 (45 ACP), 01831 (9 MM)
    I would like to look at the Vigil commander - the new one for 2020, but it's not listed.

I'm looking at the Guardian witch has N/A listed as the model number
    The POINTMAN Carry - which says "ALL MODELS APPROVED. PLEASE ENTER MODEL NUMBER." but none of the models are listed by number.

And I'm looking at the Valor V-Bob model 01983 - which is ALMOST listed "01983" not found, "1983" is found and approved.

I wish they would find a way to do this stupid list that is fair and consistent.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    While it doesnt fix all the other crap out here in western MD we set up a range at my Brother in Laws. Its only 100 yard but the sheriff stops by and talks to us when he sees any of us out there shooting. Nice guy

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.

The Card it self will take about 2 months to get in but the background check and e-mail conformation with the HQL number should be back in about a month. If you FFL is cool they can take the number from the Conformation E-mail and process it with your MD Drivers license. Not ideal but I hope it helps you out.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Can someone who is under 21 do the prerequisites in anticipation of their 21st birthday? My son’s birthday is on Halloween and he wants to get it completed. Does he have to wait until he is 21 to start?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can someone who is under 21 do the prerequisites in anticipation of their 21st birthday? My son’s birthday is on Halloween and he wants to get it completed. Does he have to wait until he is 21 to start?

I beleive he can take the HQL class and get finger printed now and submit them on his birthday

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I logged into the MSP website and I was shocked to see that my HQL was completed.
    I ordered a Dan Wesson CCO from Buds Gun shop and had it shipped to Tayler in Halethorpe.
    Now to find some 45 ACP ammo.....

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I logged into the MSP website and I was shocked to see that my HQL was completed.
    I ordered a Dan Wesson CCO from Buds Gun shop and had it shipped to Tayler in Halethorpe.
    Now to find some 45 ACP ammo.....
    Nice. One of those is on my wish list. If the Vigil line, make sure to occasionally wipe the hammer with a bit of Eezox or other rust preventative. Their tool steel hammers are otherwise uncoated and rust susceptible. Some have changed out for a hammer from Wilson Combat to head the issue off immediately.

I haven't checked if there are any concerns about Eezox on the DW Duty finish (they advise against Hoppes 9 iirc, as one might get blotches), so probably best to apply it to a napkin or wipe and then use to apply to the hammer.

Post pics when you get it. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Class has 1 year shelf life . ( Hunter Safety Card is good indefinitely ) . Fingerprints expire in 72 hours .

So have him take either HQL class or Hunter Safety now , do fingerprints after B day, when ready to actually apply online .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The Class has 1 year shelf life . ( Hunter Safety Card is good indefinitely ) . Fingerprints expire in 72 hours .

So have him take either HQL class or Hunter Safety now , do fingerprints after B day, when ready to actually apply online .

3 years per state statute for the HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom