• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Holster Advice / Wisdom / Thoughts / Recommendations

Looking to buy a holster for a Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS, probably with open reflex optic.
    I'm new to shooting.
    I'm taking a class soon and it requires an OWB holster and a mag holder, though
    the instructor said he has them for the Glock 17 if I don't have them in time.
    I would like a holster that would work for steel challenges at AGC (maybe next year).

Seems like the other threads I've found have been about CCW and IWB.

Any thoughts/recommendations/wisdom as I consider my options?
    Probably kydex? What about a lining to protect the gun's finish?
    Anything I should/shouldn't consider/worry about.
    I'm assuming stay away from paddle type holsters and stick with belt?
    How important is adjustability?
    Do I just get something to start and then learn what I like/don't like?

I'm heading out to the Timonium show this weekend, maybe there will be something there.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
    I recommend this because you're new to shooting and won't have to "un-learn" your method of holster draw...
    I am a big fan of Safariland's ALS (Auto Locking System) holsters for OWB carry. It is an excellent retention holster and if you learn first with this system, you'll pick up on it quite quickly. The people who hate them are not used to pressing the lever upon drawing and it is hard to unlearn a draw method used for decades.
    There are lots of variants of ALS holsters, I'm focusing on the retention lever- which is the ALS itself.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'd just take the instructor up and use one of his, AND check out everyone else's holsters at the class. great way to try before you buy.

if you want to buy before you try though, anything blade-tech is good to go.

don't worry about scratching up your pretty li'l glock, they're made for getting used, kydex is perfect!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for concealed carry, like on or behind your hip, you generally want something that has a little 'cant' in it, sort of puts the butt of your gun in line with your muzzle so that the butt doesn't print thru any clothing.

for competition, most use a straight drop, barrel perpendicular to your leg, as that's easier to draw.

lots also have appendix-carry holsters around 12:00 - 1:30 inside your waistband. most if not all competitions don't allow these (because the gun is pointed at your junk and fem artery) but a great way to carry.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Don't do full leather IWB. My mistake.

Also, consider where are you carrying. Some places are strictly concealed and do not allow open carry in any form.

Also consider your belt, a good carry belt is just as important.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    def true about the belt, a stout & sturdy belt really helps. thick leather belt at the gun show, or try the nexbelt talked about on this forum. i just got one and it works well, and having the almost infinite adjustment is nice.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for competition though most use a dual layer velcro belt system. inner belt threads thru your belt loops, outer belt has your holster and mag pouches, super easy to throw on and not having to do & undo pouches and holster is nice. but in the interim, just get a carry belt and thread holster and pouches on/thru that.

Gliderkit1

Aug 8, 2019
    Frederick county
    I just like many other have a few boxes of holsters I bought tried and retired till I found the right one. The only holster I recommend to ppl any more is bravo concealment I wear the OWB in matches IWB for CCW. Most times you can do a buy one get one directly from there website get a OWB IWB and mag carries from them as well. It will be quality

Don't rule out paddle holsters. A lot of this is going to depend what and how you are carrying. I've carried concealed all day, every day for twenty years now. Minus the time I spent as a uninformed police officer where I had to carry on a duty belt, or the occasions I needed to really conceal in a UC capacity, the vast majority of my time has been in a plain clothes assignment and Ive worn a paddle holster almost every single day. I find them to be more comfortable, easier to adjust and much easier to take on and off and are extremely secure.

I would also suggest looking at ebay and buying some used holsters. There are tons for a Glock 17. See what you like and go from there. Resell the ones you don't and if you cant sell them you aren't out nearly as much as buying new.

I send the person who suggested the safariland ALS and would also suggest https://www.vedderholsters.com/prodraw/. YOu can get one of these with the cut out for an optic and they are a great holster.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Don't rule out paddle holsters. A lot of this is going to depend what and how you are carrying. I've carried concealed all day, every day for twenty years now. Minus the time I spent as a uninformed police officer where I had to carry on a duty belt, or the occasions I needed to really conceal in a UC capacity, the vast majority of my time has been in a plain clothes assignment and Ive worn a paddle holster almost every single day. I find them to be more comfortable, easier to adjust and much easier to take on and off and are extremely secure.

I would also suggest looking at ebay and buying some used holsters. There are tons for a Glock 17. See what you like and go from there. Resell the ones you don't and if you cant sell them you aren't out nearly as much as buying new.

I send the person who suggested the safariland ALS and would also suggest https://www.vedderholsters.com/prodraw/. YOu can get one of these with the cut out for an optic and they are a great holster.

Good idea about used holsters... Definitely going to look at that.

At least for now, the holster would be for "competition" (well, not that I'd really be competing.. more like participating... LOL).

If/when I get my MD W&C I'm seriously considering a Glock 43X, and probably IWB.

Interesting... some holsters only extend up to cover the trigger to the front strap, some have a sliver of the holster behind the handgun against your body, others have a full fabric/leather/whatever panel behind the handgun against your body.

Last edited:

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I’d suggest to avoid buying cheap. Look at what others use in the activity you plan to do. See what you like, maybe ask to try it out for a range session. Most serious guys (range OWB or concealed IWB) either adapt to what they bought or have a box of slightly used holsters that they’ve tried looking for the right one.
    Skip the Amazon no name holsters and look at reputable companies. I use Bladetech, Desantis, Highnoon, and a couple others. Just an example, I bought a IWB Vedder for work and couldn’t stand it. Many people love them and I see recommendations all the time for Vedder. But it wasn’t comfortable to me. So each person is different and your experience may vary. Don’t get discouraged when you buy one and end up not liking it. It happens.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Skip the Amazon no name holsters and look at reputable companies. I use Bladetech, Desantis, Highnoon, and a couple others. Just an example, I bought a IWB Vedder for work and couldn’t stand it. Many people love them and I see recommendations all the time for Vedder. But it wasn’t comfortable to me. So each person is different and your experience may vary. Don’t get discouraged when you buy one and end up not liking it. It happens.

I really dislike my DeSantis iwb leather for my G19. It is a nice holster and is comfortable, but being a bigger guy who needs to wrench my belt to keep the pants up, it doesn't draw easily. If my waist was concave rather than convex, it would probably be nice.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Personally I'd say go on Shooters Connection website and see all the options. Once you get overwhelmed give them a call. The people there are extremely helpful once you tell them what you're looking for. Kydex is what 99.99% of people are going to be using at competitions.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Respectfully, it's a Glock. As long as you're not negligent, the finish will be fine. My Safariland duty holster does have some kind of lining and it's a pain in the ass to draw from if you need a new one.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Anything I should/shouldn't consider/worry about.

The most damaging thing for the finish is grit/debris that accumulates. A lining would make that worse. Kydex is easy to wipe clean.

If you go with a single clip kydex IWB, get one with a claw/wing attachment (different makers call it by different names). It is a 3" or so piece of plastic on the trailing edge. The most common thing to print is the butt of the grip, and the wing/claw pushes on the inside of your belt and rotates the butt toward your body.

I'm heading out to the Timonium show this weekend, maybe there will be something there.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I don't want to discourage you from going to the show, but MD shows in my experience haven't been great for holsters, probably because fewer people carry (except criminals, who don't use holsters).

York next weekend and Chantilly later this year would probably have a better selection.

I have a couple from Blue Line LLC. https://bluelinellc.com/about-us/
    He is always at Chantilly, main room on right toward front. If he doesn't have what you want on the table he can talk with you about it and make it right there or you can fill out a form and he'll mail it to you. You can also order online.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    I’d suggest to avoid buying cheap. Look at what others use in the activity you plan to do. See what you like, maybe ask to try it out for a range session. Most serious guys (range OWB or concealed IWB) either adapt to what they bought or have a box of slightly used holsters that they’ve tried looking for the right one.

Cool. Thanks for the list. Yes, I'm expecting some buy, try and then end up not using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom