• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Anyone feel like speculating why these were special ordered?
    Typical in the Hogan era - the Democrat leadership, IMO, feels that they have met the constitutional requirement as long as they have "read into the record" that they plan to override. That allows them to special order the bills while they whip the party for vote counts and get as much "anti-Hogan" rhetoric into the media to appease their egos.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It is oppression, they are very good at their jobs. Take for example the HQL. Many of us including myself didn’t want to get an HQL. I reluctantly got one two years ago. It’s forced compliance. Want a hand gun... get an HQL or buy one like the criminals in Baltimore. Same thing for wear and carry. They changed the process because they know you nor I will carry with out their blessing. That’s true, I’d be reluctant to carry in Maryland with a permit.

I like the slogan “I will not comply” but as of right now, this second, how many MD laws am I willing to not comply with? And how many laws on the books do I have no other choice but to comply with? Just a hypothetical, I’m not answering that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, for me getting arrested and jailed does not sound like a bad proposition, especially to make a point about Civil Rights. I missed out on all the fun in the 60s that our shill politicians are so proud of participating in.

I'm now in my "twilight years," so the prospect of free room, board and medical treatment for the rest of my life is a tantalizing prospect. And I'm too ugly for Bubba to mess with. :innocent0

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    It says that they special ordered it until 1/30, again??

If they are waiting for Malpasso to be granted or denied, they could be waiting until June.
    I highly doubt they give two seconds of thought to Malpasso; most of them don't even know one thing about it and don't care since Frosh is fighting it for them anyway.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't normally don a tinfoil fedora but something is hinky with this. As hellbent as the Ds were to abolish the HPRB back when they were exercising independent thought and judgement I'm shocked that we are this far into the session without a veto override.

At the last HPRB meeting I attended before December they announced the tally of the decisions made by the current iteration of board members and they had voted in favor of the MSP 91% of the time. All five current board members are Hogan appointees remember. Makes you wonder if some Ds are weighing the cost of MSP at the OAH vs keeping the board around since it seems that with the "right" choices to the board it can still be a rubber stamp of the MSP decisions. Or if Fat Larry is offering something in exchange for the board's survival.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't normally don a tinfoil fedora but something is hinky with this. As hellbent as the Ds were to abolish the HPRB back when they were exercising independent thought and judgement I'm shocked that we are this far into the session without a veto override.

Or if Fat Larry is offering something in exchange for the board's survival.

Without Busch and Miller cracking the whip anymore, there's room for Hogan to make deals with individual reps and senators. It would be a major political coup for him if he could get a veto sustained in spite of a D supermajority in both chambers.

A win on this would allow him to use a veto threat to actually shape legislation on stuff that's more important to him than HPRB, like budget and redistricting.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, yeah. If they had the votes to override, they would have already. The question is why haven't they. :tinfoil: Something is hinky for sure.

There has not been a lot of press about this, and if they dont give two shits about Malpasso, then what? Deals on what? Hogan is a lame duck, the Dems have a supermajority, he does not have a lot of leverage.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Hogan is a lame duck, the Dems have a supermajority, he does not have a lot of leverage.

That presumes the Dems are monolithic. They're not, as evidenced by the food fight last year over replacing Busch. The only reason the Old Guard and the Progressives compromised after several hours of heated fighting was neither side wanted the Reps to be the deciding votes on the new House Speaker.

The Old Guard and the Progs despise each other, which leaves room for Hogan to make deals, albeit not a lot of room.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Senate will be considering veto of SB1000 shortly...they have started going through the special order calendar with SB1000 in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom