• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Form 4473 says:
    a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) (ATF Form 5300.9A)? Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. Exception: If you are only picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 21.a. and may proceed to question 21.b.

If you are buying the firearm for yourself to use as a legitimate gift to give someone, like buying a box of chocolate or a dozen roses or a pink diamond bracelet, then it would be legal. If you are buying it because they want it and are to lazy to go to a gun store, or to young, or a convicted felon then you are making a straw purchase.

Most gun stores will be very suspicious if that person is with you and coaching you on what features they want, pointing out what they like and trying it out for size. If you don't know what to buy just give them money and let them do the purchase.

Thanks for the clarification Blacksmith, but I was less worried about my intent, more about the perception of my intent...because I do often have him with me and trying it out for size...not so much coaching me, but definitely I ask him for opinions. I usually do that because one day (no hurry) they'll all be his anyway, so I want things that make us both happy.:)

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome to all our new and legit pro 2A, pro America, pro freedom and pro obey the Constitution and Laws of the USA as intended to maintain a peaceful union.

As one member on this page has said, by 50 posts we can get a feel for a member, but it is no guarantee of character, so yes we all need to be extra careful what we sell to whom.
    And not to be naive, we all are wise to carry ourselves as if we know there certainly are trolls and other slime who want to trip us up just like they tried to do with President Trump and Justice Cavanaugh etc.

May we all have win/win transactions and even face to face meetings when we do choose to have 1 or more dealings with people on here.

JohnMD1022

Jun 26, 2019
    Maryland
    It is a good catch. I am usually a lurker on the forum (especially in the reloading section) and have been a bit nervous to post at times bc either a) I just don't have enough experience, b) don't have anything new to share as my view has been already stated 6570 times :D or c) don't want to post fluff. I figure I am still learning so I figure its best to read and learn than to post junk.

At the same time, I have purchased a rifle from the classifieds here and had a good experience. I am also thinking of purchasing another rifle from a classified here. I would prefer to keep the classifieds open just based on my experience or with a low minimum post count (i.e. 5-10 verified posts). Just my 2c.
    Agree. Otherwise, it could be termed an infringement.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Had a buyer here try to tell me one of the handguns I was selling could be cash and carry. Not a C&R handgun either.

Nope.

jfa02

Jan 20, 2023
    Maryland
    Just a warning that we just intercepted what was either a straight up attempt at a straw purchase, was a LE sting, or an anti or reporter looking for an opportunity to say, "Aha - I told you so".

A user that joined 2 days ago made an offer on a firearm for sale here, sealed the deal and then told the seller that his mother would be providing the identification for the purchase.

Regardless of the nature of this, whether "legitimate" illegal activity, or some sort of gotcha operation, y'all need to be on the look out.

The user has been perma-banned.
    I have seen this alot on vehicles for sale on Facebook. You answer the add and they say oh! I am selling this for my aunt she is out if town. Or who ever.

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    Well you have to be careful these days. I no longer live in Md but born there and family lived there since 1660s. Maryland is not the place it was when growing up..not close. I had an FFL for 28 years...The gummit came along and tried to get many FFLs to give 'em up. I didn't surrender mine till I developed cancer. In all that time dealing in guns and ammo I could not get a carry permit in the state of Md. I did not order many guns...most I picked up. I had a Pa carry explosive permits etc etc. Even today I can figure a straw buyer out. Maryland has become so restrictive these days it's not funny. MSP Background check ...HQL? I thought once you got that you could skip the BG check. Where I live now if I have a carry license I just fill out the 4473 and take the firearm with me...no telephone calls etc. The state of Md is not your friend the Feds are not your friends... Think twice before you turn someone in for straw purchases. My mother was with me when I bought one of my first guns as a kid...before the 68 GCA...but it was legal then...and may still be legal...or was...Knowing Md maybe not now. It may be considered a straw purchase now! Heck I had a Colt SAA at 12. The way they want to pass laws is onerous...and they want to make it illegal to give your kids or friends firearms. I have relatives in Md......before I pass I am going to give some of my firearms to them...If I can get across the border of Md with them....do they search vehicles coming into the state now? At the same time I feel it is No one else's business what I give to family or friends. Some here may feell differently but I would hope not...I won't give them any full autos though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom