• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've always thought the indefensible part of it was the Sunday part. If the argument was a one day a week cooling down or quiet period, then why Sunday?

It's like the county where the Undisclosed Location is - no alcohol sales until 1pm. I went tooling into the local Stop and Rob on a hot sunny day looking for at least one six pack of something drinkable and the guy looked at me like I was from Mars because it was prior to 1pm on a Sunday.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Holdover from the Blue laws. When I was a kid there weren't many places open on Sunday.

The big department stores were always closed on Sundays when I was growing up. Then Two Guys found a way to stay open. The Blue Law stated that the store could stay open if they had less than 6 or 7 people working in the store. So there for a few years, Two Guys opened with only 6 or 7 employees running the entire store on Sundays. You were not allowed to buy ammo or firearms or buy anything from a department that had trained or authorized personnel. Those folks were not allowed to work on Sundays (or it was the policy of the store).

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    They have to allow it so people can eat. Poorest state in the nation next to one of the wealthiest.

The Eastern Panhandle is the best of both worlds. WV firearms laws (or lack of them) and decent access to the other good things in life. Too bad my hideout there is only open seven months of the year.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's a state that your wealth can be dependent on miles. Beckley is a hotbed, but 20-25 miles away in Mullens, you can't find good work even when your family owns the business. My wife's family is in or near Prosperity and they all have really good paying jobs. My family has had to move away from Mullens, Jolo and places like that.

I'd still love to move back to Wyoming County one day, but the best I can expect is to be buried in the family cemetery down there.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    It's a state that your wealth can be dependent on miles. Beckley is a hotbed, but 20-25 miles away in Mullens, you can't find good work even when your family owns the business. My wife's family is in or near Prosperity and they all have really good paying jobs. My family has had to move away from Mullens, Jolo and places like that.

I'd still love to move back to Wyoming County one day, but the best I can expect is to be buried in the family cemetery down there.

Beckley must have gotten better then. Or my uncle just has bad luck. He’s rented out his house in Crab Orchard for 30 years. Every renter he’s had has gotten behind in rent, been evicted, and several have trashed the place on the way out. He moved up here for work when the coal mines shut down.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Beckley must have gotten better then. Or my uncle just has bad luck. He’s rented out his house in Crab Orchard for 30 years. Every renter he’s had has gotten behind in rent, been evicted, and several have trashed the place on the way out. He moved up here for work when the coal mines shut down.

If you have to rent in that area, you're probably not going to have a good job. Those that own their own houses are the folks who have the best jobs as it should be. My wife's uncle works for the school system working on the buses. He's making bank and lives on a ton of property and a nice house he built. The other uncle is retired and lives debt free. He's never even had a car payment for as long as I've known him. Their father is a retired sheriff and seems to be making enough to have a small farmette in the heart of Prosperity near the race track.

But maybe they're exceptions to the rule. All I know is their friends also have good jobs, but maybe that's because they all work for the same company. I don't know.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, if you "MUST" rent in Beckley instead of own, it means you're either doing minimum wage work, a college student, or living on Gov't doles.

Just look at Zillow. You can buy in the area for sub $35k and get a reasonably livable house. Might not be the best neighborhood, but hell, it beats renting!

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Yep, if you "MUST" rent in Beckley instead of own, it means you're either doing minimum wage work, a college student, or living on Gov't doles.

Just look at Zillow. You can buy in the area for sub $35k and get a reasonably livable house. Might not be the best neighborhood, but hell, it beats renting!

That was why he didn’t want to sell the house. The only offers he got were low balls. He finally got a reasonable offer so he finally sold it a year or so ago.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That was why he didn’t want to sell the house. The only offers he got were low balls. He finally got a reasonable offer so he finally sold it a year or so ago.

The area is doing pretty decently economically. I think a new mine opened recently in Raleigh county which helped a bit, and WVU Tech's campus moved there from Montgomery a few years back. There's a lot of spillover from the big rafting companies and resorts north of there on the NRG, and Winterplace tends to keep large numbers of southerners headed that way every winter as it's the southernmost ski resort that is basically guaranteed to have snow all winter each year.

The problem is that there are just so many old homes in East Beckley and the old coal camp towns like Eccles and Sophia that it drive the price down unless you're in a premium neighborhood like Prosperity.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Most of the locals bypass the main strip in and out of Beckley. Last time we went down there we happen to hit that stretch of road about 6pm. It was stop and go the entire length of the shopping district. It was probably worse than the Towson area at 6pm.

LittleBill

Mar 14, 2020
    They have to allow it so people can eat. Poorest state in the nation next to one of the wealthiest.
    One day very soon the metrics for that measure will be much different and I believe the titles will be reversed. When there is no freedom left here WV will be full of the one thing people in maryland have no hope of ever seeing.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've always thought the indefensible part of it was the Sunday part. If the argument was a one day a week cooling down or quiet period, then why Sunday?

It's like the county where the Undisclosed Location is - no alcohol sales until 1pm. I went tooling into the local Stop and Rob on a hot sunny day looking for at least one six pack of something drinkable and the guy looked at me like I was from Mars because it was prior to 1pm on a Sunday.

Our outdoor range is near a church, and as an accommodation to worshipers, the range opens after Sunday services have concluded. Perhaps hearing gunfire during mass is not welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom