• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The bill reflects a lot of ignorance. The reason for the bill is that Anderson .223 pistol was used in the Dayton mass shooting this last summer. The receiver stated that it was a .233/.300blk receiver. But the actual gun was not a rifle, it was a pistol and it was chambered for the .223 round. Frankly from the photos it looks like a SBR (unregistered under the NFA of 1934 and thus illegal under federal law)

Thanks for the background.

As for the bold.... it was a pistol, not an unregistered SBR!

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/748665339/the-pistol-that-looks-like-a-rifle-the-dayton-shooters-gun

gun-composite_custom-06f5cbe956752eb74a4440dc34cfe8b859602cd8-s800-c85.jpg

That is a brace, not a stock, many people here have ones just like it. A shockwave brace I think, but there are a few companies that make something similar now.

Strictly speaking, while the Anderson pistol is not on the roster, to get the AM-15 lower (and build a pistol or rifle) one fills out the 77r and waits 7 days, just like a pistol. But I'm sure you know that...

If they really are targeting the pistol the Dayton shooter used, epic fail here. The lower would still be legal, and the pistol, lol. But I am stopping before I give anyone ideas.

ETA: here is Herr Frosh displaying his ignorance:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0190812-uwnyadj7ozbo7mnnoxa4ryuhdu-story.html

Maybe Frosh should worry more about Bodymorgue. I hear it's bad out there.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Frosh's strength lies in browbeating the law-abiding.

He has no interest in or taste for dealing with real criminality, just creating it artificially in order to punish those who disagree with the Party line.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for the background.

As for the bold.... it was a pistol, not an unregistered SBR!

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/748665339/the-pistol-that-looks-like-a-rifle-the-dayton-shooters-gun

gun-composite_custom-06f5cbe956752eb74a4440dc34cfe8b859602cd8-s800-c85.jpg

That is a brace, not a stock, many people here have ones just like it. A shockwave brace I think, but there are a few companies that make something similar now.

Strictly speaking, while the Anderson pistol is not on the roster, to get the AM-15 lower (and build a pistol or rifle) one fills out the 77r and waits 7 days, just like a pistol. But I'm sure you know that...

If they really are targeting the pistol the Dayton shooter used, epic fail here. The lower would still be legal, and the pistol, lol. But I am stopping before I give anyone ideas.

ETA: here is Herr Frosh displaying his ignorance:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0190812-uwnyadj7ozbo7mnnoxa4ryuhdu-story.html

You know, sometimes it is really hard to distinguish a brace from a stock. I agree it could be a brace, but most braces have a clip or strap that winds around the forearm. I don't see that here (the pic is not clear enough to see if the stock is collapsible). The point remains that the Anderson .223 pistol is not on the Roster and thus unavailable in MD. And yes, I understand that the receiver by itself is subject to the 77R requirements and thus in MD it is already treated as a handgun. Nothing in the article that I saw suggested anything other than that the shooter bought it outright, fully assembled in Ohio. I agree that our Attorney General does not understand these nuances of Maryland and federal law.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wonder if SB198 has a bit more chance this time around. I know it isn’t MD under the microscope at SCOTUS, but I do wonder if someone pointed out that if MD doesn’t clarify and make self defense G&S (effectively making MD shall issue, or nearly so) that SCOTUS might be telling MD exactly where to go and how to get there. Along with possibly expensive litigation/emergency changes to comply with court rulings.

You know, read the probable writing on the wall.

I can dream, right?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I wonder if SB198 has a bit more chance this time around. I know it isn’t MD under the microscope at SCOTUS, but I do wonder if someone pointed out that if MD doesn’t clarify and make self defense G&S (effectively making MD shall issue, or nearly so) that SCOTUS might be telling MD exactly where to go and how to get there. Along with possibly expensive litigation/emergency changes to comply with court rulings.

You know, read the probable writing on the wall.

I can dream, right?

You have put much more thought into this than anyone in the MGA. Few, if any, of the Dems there know about NYSRPA vs NY, and the few who might are too deep in self-righteousness to believe it should have any effect on pending legislation.

RFD

Nov 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    I am confused,as usual. If I were to purchase a Anderson AM-15 multi cal. lower . What can be built using it? Can I build a .300 blk pistol legally in MD. ?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am confused,as usual. If I were to purchase a Anderson AM-15 multi cal. lower . What can be built using it? Can I build a .300 blk pistol legally in MD. ?

Today or if the bill passes as is? Today a .223/5.56 HBAR rifle. A rifle in any other caliber. A pistol in any caliber.

If the law passes as is, after it goes in to effect anything 10/1/2013 and later that is a .223/5.56 rifle built on one or a .300BO rifle built on one would be illegal. You could build a pistol of any caliber on one or a rifle in any caliber except .223/5.56 or .300BO.

Grey area is if a rifle that is an HBAR in .223/5.56 built on one could be legal. As it would be a copy of a Colt HBAR Sporter, not an AM-15 clone or AM-15 rifle (which is an M4 profile 16” carbine), just built on an AM-15 receiver.

The scuttle butt is the bill will be amended to grandfather in up to the date of enactment. I am not holding my breath on that. I hope the bill sponsor isn’t so daft as to think they should do that. At least (they said they realized that issue once it was point out).

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    IANAL

The Ban List works in two ways:

1. Bans firearms by specific manufacturer/model
    2. Bans firearms that are "copycats" of a specifically banned firearm

Actually the MD Code Public Safety 5-101(r)(2) list bans (at the top) a "copy" of any listed item as an "assault long gun" The ban on "copycats" is separately (and differently) defined and banned in MD Code Criminal law 4-301(h)(1) to mean:

h)(1) “Copycat weapon” means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

By definition, 4-301 provides that a copycat does not include assault long guns listed in 5-101(r)(2), stating (2) “Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Frosh's strength lies in browbeating the law-abiding.

He has no interest in or taste for dealing with real criminality, just creating it artificially in order to punish those who disagree with the Party line.

Frosh's strength lies in ignoring the needs of the lawful and catering to his funding sources.

Attachments

• one-hundred-bloombux.jpg
      one-hundred-bloombux.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 240

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Good grief! they are on the move towards full commie this session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom