• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've got two handguns coming in to Tyler Firearms sometime in the near future. I thought I read somewhere here about starting a 77R ahead of time in the online portal. Is that possible and if so what is the advantage to just filling it out on one of their computers at the time of purchase? Does it just save me a trip in to the shop?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You can fill them out at home. You will get an email with a pin number to give the shop. You also can fill out some out and hold onto them for those on the spot purchases.
    Filling them out prior will save a bunch of time. If you have more than one coming in, wait for all to arrive. Have them put the firearms on the same 77r and save some money.
    I assume you are a DC?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You can fill them out at home. You will get an email with a pin number to give the shop. You also can fill out some out and hold onto them for those on the spot purchases.
    Filling them out prior will save a bunch of time. If you have more than one coming in, wait for all to arrive. Have them put the firearms on the same 77r and save some money.
    I assume you are a DC?

Yes I'm a DC.

Do they have an expiry date? Or can I just do one whenever?

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Been a while for me, but yes fill it out on the MSP portal. It stays there - indefinitely I believe.- until you purchase.
    Your FFL will access it with the MSP provided application number and complete it while you wait.
    Then you wait some more...
    (Edit: next time call Chuck first :D)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There was talk about them expiring, but I had one in the system for almost a year and it was still usable.

In the old days, you could fill it out, order your firearm, tell them the 77r info, and the first trip to the store being to pick it up. But now MSP says you have to be physically present and do the 4473 to submit the 77r.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    There was talk about them expiring, but I had one in the system for almost a year and it was still usable.

In the old days, you could fill it out, order your firearm, tell them the 77r info, and the first trip to the store being to pick it up. But now MSP says you have to be physically present and do the 4473 to submit the 77r.

The 4473 is federal and has to be completed before the NICS check can be done. Since MSP does the NICS for handguns, it has to be completed prior to us submitting the 77R.

Chuck

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I keep a couple app&pins written on a post-it stuck to the back of my HQL and scratch one out as I use it. That way, I'm always ready to stumble onto something I can't resist. ;)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I keep a couple app&pins written on a post-it stuck to the back of my HQL and scratch one out as I use it. That way, I'm always ready to stumble onto something I can't resist. ;)

That's what I was thinking. Course with a smart phone access is always possible.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The 4473 is federal and has to be completed before the NICS check can be done. Since MSP does the NICS for handguns, it has to be completed prior to us submitting the 77R.

Chuck

I understand that idea. But the 4473 is not submitted to anyone.

MD does the NICs check off the 77r info.

I guess I just need to keep several signed 4473s on file at the place I use the most. :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When the online process was initiated , there wsd talk of them expiring , with 90 days sometimes mentioned .

As events unfolded , I had one go unused for more than twice as long . When I eventually had need , I went to website intending to do a fresh one , but the old one was still active .

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I understand that idea. But the 4473 is not submitted to anyone.

MD does the NICs check off the 77r info.

I guess I just need to keep several signed 4473s on file at the place I use the most. :D

The 4473 authorizes MSP to initiate the NICS check. It authorizes us to initiate it for long guns. The form goes no where, but it’s what initiates the whole process. It must be completed prior to us dealers submitting the 77R and must be completed at our business location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom